Search similar:

uniqs

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Complaints about a Bell tech if you're not a Bell retail customer?

A few weeks ago, I was on the computer, doing my thing (NOT redtube, you pervs ) when all of a sudden I lost connectivity.. Check the modem, DSL light flashing, plug in another modem, try another cord, still not syncing up. Look out the window and the terminal box that's on the property and serves several dwellings was open, so I knew Bell was messing in there. Turns out they did an install for another unit in this building.... This is how the events developed after that..

1) I printed out a note asking them "I just lost sync on GAS TN 416xxxxxxx, can you please come to Unit X and investigate?" and left it on the terminal cover

2) I found the Bell tech (B64897 -- I am outing him here) and here's how the conversation went:
-Hi, I lost sync while you guys were working here, can you please take a look?
-It wasn't me, I didn't touch anything
-I've never had any loss of sync issues in 3 years that I've been living here, you guys start working and I lose sync, there must be SOMETHING. Can you please take a look?
-I don't have time for that, I'm doing an install
-OK, can you please give me your number?
-B64897
-Thank you, bye

3) While I was stewing and just waiting for Bell to leave so I can open a no sync ticket through my ISP, ANOTHER Bell tech (they needed to run a new drop to the other unit, so more techs got involved) found the note that I left, came to my unit, investigated the matter, saw that everything was ok on the inside, but I was still getting no sync to the only jack connected to the demarc. He found out that they disconnected me further up the street and he had me reconnected, got my sync back, Lantern looked rosy

4) Mr. B64897 finishes installing the NID for the other unit, leaves a mess of snippets of wire, brackets and wall anchors around the building.

A couple of days later, I called Bell, reported B64897 for his rude attitude, unwillingness to fix what he screwed up and leaving a mess. They gave me a reference number and told me a supervisor would be contacting me by phone over the next couple of days. A week later, nobody called, so I called Bell to check on the case. Nobody could find anything, as if no complaint ticket ever got opened. The bounced me from one department to another and nobody could help me.

So, what do I do under these circumstances? Or for example, if I'm not a Bell retail cx and a Bell truck knocks over my mailbox? Which number do I call for this type of complaints? Thanks for any help guys.

P.S. If the guy had taken responsibility for what he did and fixed what he screwed up after completing the full install he was doing, I would have never called in the complaint. It was the fact that he was rude, irresponsible and left a mess that motivated me to raise a stink. Even the residents of the other unit found him to be "an arrogant prick" (their words, not mine - even though they fit quite nicely)

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers

Anon

It was fixed. Don't waste your time.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by smogers :

Read the P.S. I'm not the type to step aside and let a-holes be a-holes

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers

Anon

said by FiReSTaRT:

said by smogers :

No one at Bell is going to care.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by smogers :

My complaint will still cost them man-hours and that's something they can understand
despe666
join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC

despe666

said by FiReSTaRT:

My complaint will still cost them man-hours and that's something they can understand

How much is your time worth vs. some guy in an Indian call center?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

said by smogers :

Go to bce.ca, find the snail mail address of galactic HQ in Montreal, and write the Chairman of the Board.

Mr. B64897 won't know what hit him.

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers

Anon

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by FiReSTaRT:

said by smogers :

Go to bce.ca, find the snail mail address of galactic HQ in Montreal, and write the Chairman of the Board.

Nothing will.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

2 recommendations

El Quintron

Premium Member

The minute stuff starts going to an executive office of some sort, heads start to roll.

It's been nearly 15 years since I worked for Bell, but some dynamics never change. Assuming the OP gets around to sending snail mail to the CEO or some type of VP, the file will be referred to an "executive care" rep (or whatever they're called nowadays) and a thorough investigation will be performed.

Bell is a pretty reactive beast, nothing will get done if you don't complain, and the front line staff doesn't have competency to deal with your complaints either, but the minute senior management hears about something, all of a sudden you have competency everywhere.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

....but the minute senior management hears about something, all of a sudden you have competency everywhere.

....for a while.

But it's a lot like price matching among grocery chains or dept stores.

They will match it for you, but ONLY if you ask, and nobody tells the next customer, unless YOU choose to picket the entrance to the store.

Still, there are both good and bad Bell field techs (in attitude and/or smarts), as both the OP has observed, and myself too on occasion.

Same with the cableco in our area, though I personally have had a better and more satisfactory experience as a rule with Cogeco field techs than with Bell's.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

2 recommendations

bbbc to smogers

to smogers
said by smogers :

smogers is an anonymous expert, so his word is as good as gold.

Bhell will respond if you get the right person, which is up the food chain. All you need to do is find the email address for an exec and you'll hear back, »consumerist.com/2007/05/ ··· et-bomb/ . I speak from experience having done so with a Québec GAS install and I heard back from Bhell in a timely manner.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by El Quintron:

....but the minute senior management hears about something, all of a sudden you have competency everywhere.

....for a while.

They will match it for you, but ONLY if you ask, and nobody tells the next customer, unless YOU choose to picket the entrance to the store.

Still, there are both good and bad Bell field techs (in attitude and/or smarts), as both the OP has observed, and myself too on occasion.

Same with the cableco in our area, though I personally have had a better and more satisfactory experience as a rule with Cogeco field techs than with Bell's.

Funny about Bell. When I was getting my false 911 calls, I called the top of the food chain at Galactic HQ in Montreal and got a response from the regional manager for 519 area code within 6 hours.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

....for a while.

Fair enough, I'm not referring to price matching though, just getting extraordinary problems fixed.

By its own assessment Bell doesn't have to compete on price, and will jump through every possible hoop in order to avoid doing so.

EQ

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

Fair enough, I'm not referring to price matching though, just getting extraordinary problems fixed.

By its own assessment Bell doesn't have to compete on price, and will jump through every possible hoop in order to avoid doing so.

Not a perfect analogy, but I was simply drawing attention to the concept that we in both instances get no action unless we ask somebody, and sometimes only the right person.

As for Bell (or any other incumbent) matching prices, I agree with you, though once again, as you and many of us know, if you call and say that you are about to leave, sometimes they will reach into a magic hat, only then finding and offering deals which are unadvertised - but only if you are proactive about it.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
Thanks for posting this. I'm pretty impressed with that article.

EQ

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Yes, deviously clever.

+1
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT
This tech is relatively new based on his employee number, and judging by your description, he pulled your jumper by accident. It would have taken all of 30 seconds to reconnect it. Escalate it if you have to but I have no patience for cocky or arrogant techs.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by btech805:

....judging by your description, he pulled your jumper by accident....

Are we talking about a jumper inside of a JWI panel which sits on a concrete pad, nearby along the street ?

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

said by Davesnothere:

said by btech805:

Are we talking about a jumper inside of a JWI panel which sits on a concrete pad, nearby along the street ?

Sounds like he lives in a condo or townhouse complex, could be one of many jumpers between the opi and the unit drop.

I would normally agree that if you squawked enough you could get a message to his manager, but seeing as you're just a GAS customer to bell, they are seriously not going to care. Especially since you were reconnected without a ticket being made by your ISP.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by coaxguy:

said by Davesnothere:

said by btech805:

Sounds like he lives in a condo or townhouse complex, could be one of many jumpers between the opi and the unit drop.

I would normally agree that if you squawked enough you could get a message to his manager, but seeing as you're just a GAS customer to bell, they are seriously not going to care. Especially since you were reconnected without a ticket being made by your ISP.

The OP said that it was pulled at the box up the street, so it would likely be at OPI/JWI where the Stinger is.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

find the snail mail address of galactic HQ in Montreal, and write the Chairman of the Board.

10/10, would lol again

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

The OP said that it was pulled at the box up the street, so it would likely be at OPI/JWI where the Stinger is.

The same would likely apply here, except that AFAIK we have no remotes, at least none as close to the CO as I am.

We have several such panels around town, and they are all passive connections so far.

Bell has been running what I believe to be some fibre in some areas, mostly on existing poles, but does not seem to have lit up any of it yet.

Our service lookups on the Bell site remain stalled at 15/1 for the past couple or more years.

Yeah, I know it says 15/10, but that's just a legalized scam on Bell's part, and their 10,000 lawyers told them that that they could get away with it.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT
They're not going to censure a field tech for refusing to do work on a phone number he didn't have a repair ticket for. That has nothing to do with you being on GAS, if you were a Bell customer they would ignore it as well. The bottom line is the tech has to be accountable for all of his time spent in the field. If he spends an hour on your line, his manager will be asking him why the repair took an hour longer than usual, and why he missed working on another case. If the guy's already on notice for wasting time, then you can bet he's not going to do work without a work order. As for the other guy, he may have been doing the job for a lot longer, and work more efficiently/quickly as a result, or he may simply not care about his stats/metrics.

You also have absolutely no guarantee or proof that he was the one who disconnected your line, or that the line was properly connected in the first place. If it was a bad/loose punch then simply jostling the jumpers could have caused it to disconnect.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by taraf:

....If it was a bad/loose punch then simply jostling the jumpers could have caused it to disconnect.

Yeah, gotta watch out for jumper jostling in those old JWI's !

I had a look inside of the one near me when the tech who fixed my last problem was doing his work, and he himself said that another tech working in that JWI could have jostled my jumper unintentionally.

And looking at how Mickey Mouse that the method of establishing a connection is in those panels, I believed him.

You just push the wire end, insulation and all, into a narrowing gap of a terminal, and pray that it stays there and doesn't corrode too soon.

Ridiculous design, IMNSHO.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

You just push the wire end, insulation and all, into a narrowing gap of a terminal, and pray that it stays there and doesn't corrode too soon.

There's a punch down tool for the JWI.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by JC_:

said by Davesnothere:

That doesn't mean it's not easy for the wires to just get pulled right out.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

said by JC_:

said by Davesnothere:

That doesn't mean it's not easy for the wires to just get pulled right out.

I'm not denying that they can come out easily, I've done that myself when working in them; although if I see that I disconnected a line I check to see if there is service on it and if there is I'll punch it back down or ran a new jumper if need be.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

said by JC_:

I'm not denying that they can come out easily, I've done that myself when working in them; although if I see that I disconnected a line I check to see if there is service on it and if there is I'll punch it back down or ran a new jumper if need be.

If you see it, and know where it disconnected from. If you don't know where it disconnected from, or don't notice it, then it's difficult to punch it back down without that customer reporting a problem. You might be able to connect and ANAC the line, depending on which end of the jumper gets disconnected, I guess.

Regardless... I agree. I don't really have time for arrogant pricks. Sucks for the OP, but there isn't really a lot he can do about it. The line's been fixed by somebody else, so that's the best he can hope for.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

1 recommendation

jibby to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT
Had almost exactly the same thing as the OP a few years back - everytime Bell came to install a new line in my building, my line would go to crap. I eventually setup a monitor that would email me when my stats changed by more than a few dB, and sure enough, every time it would go off i could go downstairs and find a Bell tech poking thru the box

last time it happened i went down and the Bell tech denied ever touching the box, despite standing in front of it with the doors open and holding wires in his hands (and i could see where my line was last week but now it had been yanked around)

his response? 'open a ticket, not my problem'

i immediately switched to cable. at least two years later and the bag of grapes he was eating and all the rest of his lunch are still sitting on top of the Bell box

dude was a real class act

i probably shouldn't really admit this, but it pissed me off so much, i went outside and sat on the hood of his truck, waiting to kick his ass. my super saw me out there stewing and came out and calmed me down. thank goodness.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by jibby:

i went outside and sat on the hood of his truck, waiting to kick his ass.

Don't blame you, I get like that too!

So far things have been smooth for me this year. I hope it doesn't change overmuch.