All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Rainia
join:2014-07-28
Nathalie, VA

Rainia

What do I have to say to get someone to care? Awful quality.

Click for full size
Click for full size
Seriously? Check out my modem stats above. Right now i'm having piss latency and random disconnects and timeouts altogether.

Yesterday I had a century link tech come out here, who ran his tests and said his meter device showed no errors and that everything is fine. he gave me a new pk5001z and switched my port at the switch. I showed him my accumulating CRC and FEC errors. He basically said "i wouldnt even worry about it." and, my impression is that he had no idea what they even were.

So what am i suppose to do? i had read about leaving the modem on for a period of days for the line to stabilize. i feel like that isn't going to help.
stingray71
join:2014-04-28

stingray71

First step is eliminating your inside wiring. Can you connect directly to the NID outside? I've had to do this numerous times. I'd setup the modem for wifi if yours is not, this way you can access your stats with any wifi device (tablet, phone, etc).

Find it odd he's not seeing errors, yet you're obviously generating errors. No doubt some tech's are better than others.

Rainia
Nathalie, VA

Rainia

He unplugged the phone cable from the back of the pk5001z and into his big meter machine,ran tests and said they all came back error free. He also told me that I was "the only customer i've seen pull up the modem page" so um..yeah....

I can get to my NID. When i opened the customer side there are 2 cables plugged in, both with rubber ends. I don't know really,what those are.

Set modem up for wireless, take phone cable and take modem outside,connect modem to NID via phone cable, log into modem page with phone and look at dsl stats,right? Which cable would i disconnect and plug the phone cable into on the NID?
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

You'll have to try both, it seems as if your house had two phone lines before?

see what one syncs up and see what it looks like after that.

Usually the culprit is just old daisy chained jacks causing echo on the line and that will cause a DSL line to go insane.

If you do not have a landline, just disconnect all the jacks and run a fresh line directly to the DSL modem from the NID if the stats are better from the NID.
stingray71
join:2014-04-28

1 edit

stingray71 to Rainia

to Rainia
You've got it. You can tell by the wiring which plug to plug into, but brad is right. If your not sure, try both. Sounds like they may have two pairs connected in your NID. In the future, this will expedite service calls if you tell them you're connected directly into the outside service port.

What is your normally assigned speed?

Incidently, had a similar issue, line was okay at times and garbage other times. Was also weather dependant, crap out when it was hot or cold. Okay mid day. Of course, techs would only show up mid day when line was okay.

Turned out to be a bad pair after 5+ years of use. I must of wore it out.

UncleGFather
join:2014-08-10
USA

UncleGFather to Rainia

to Rainia
Those are only Line Tech's and generally speaking have limited knowledge of networking, or how computers work.
Rainia
Nathalie, VA

Rainia

I left it on for a few days and the errors cleared up. (I still get FEC errors but nowhere near as many as before, same with CRC).

Either way my lag and crappy ping spikes are still here. It's incredible inconsistent and it bugs the fuck out of me. This all started after the repair in my area on july 4th.

Can't seem to get anyone to give a shit at CL. They all either tell me its my connection speed (which it isnt, i've gamed fine on it for 4+ years now) or that it's network congestion, which started back in november 2013 with bandwidth exhaust. I played fine until july 4th 2014.

Dunno what to do anymore.

UncleGFather
join:2014-08-10
USA

UncleGFather

I have been calling Centurylink about this lag and dropped packets since the same time. Whatever happened on July 4th has affected alot of us with this crappy ping spikes, lag, and lost packets. I first noticed the issue on July 8th, since August 10th the issue has been alot worse.

It affects anything from out west, from Blizzard, SOE, NCSOFT, and website themselves.

The connection is fine from extended testing from alittle after midnight (EST), (latency/packet dropping), until about 10:30 EST, From 10:30-3pm it spikes up and down where it will be fine at times and then bad at others.

From 3pm until midnight it is complete and udder trash connection, with dropped packets randomly latency spiking from 35ms-345ms typically with the occasional 2000 ms spike.
It doesn't matter who the other provider is. AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Nefcom does not have these issues and connect fine.

You could probably get more stable ping on Dail-up.