Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

ISDN in VA

Well, I have a problem. A friend of mine has moved out to a rural area that Verizon has neglected totally. No DSL out of that CO. The only service available is T-1 through a few CLEC's but that is too expensive (bonded T-1 at 12/12 through Megapath is reasonable at $390 if the cost is split among close neighbors but he was not up for the idea).

Is there any way to get ISDN? I cant find it anywhere available to order. Cellular and the local WISP are horrible.

This is an ex-C&P Telephone/Bell Atlantic market in Northern Virginia. The CO Switch is a Western Electric 5ESS Remote.

I know the 5ESS supports ISDN - its the switch that launched the service back in the 80's.

Verzion was useless - we tried appealing for them to look into servicing his RT (he is only 700 meters copper distance away) and VZ just says "No, Impossible." They ain't fooling me. The RT is fiber fed!

If the telco was someone not called Verizon DSL would be possible.

ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

I read on Wikipedia that Verizon stopped taking new ISDN orders last year....

sorry for the diappointment.

EDIT: Here's the article explaining why they stopped taking new orders...
»www.talkers.com/2013/03/28/veriz···-may-18/
"Verizon: No Longer Taking Orders for ISDN Service in Northeast Starting May 18
TALKERS | March 28, 2013"

Zenit

Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Zenit

Well it sucks to be him then. No broadband of any type with low latency besides Verizon LTE. No CLEC willing to take on VZ and put in a DSLAM.

And T-carrier is just too expensive, although possible.

And with how Verizon handled things...I cant blame him for not wanting to give them a penny.

Looks like Exede satellite and no more gaming is the "solution". :/

I will not move to an address not serviced by Comcast at a minimum, as odd as that might sound.

EDIT: Thanks for sending me that link. It just confirms Verizon hates its customer base.

ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

1 edit

Why not trying the business office?

EDIT: I feel sorry for you and your friend in the east side.
In Southwestern Bell areas, there is a CLEC called SAGE Telecom and DSLX.
You know, I've been wanting to ask if ISDN is also available in Texas...
I ask myself "What the fuck is Verizon's strategy?" and the answer is : Wireless.

Zenit

Purcellville, VA

What business office? They closed them long ago. The one in the Leesburg, VA has been gone for a very long time!

All I can find is more 1-800 numbers, unfortunately.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to Zenit

12 (twelve) Mbps would be 8 T1's (1.5M each.) That is absolutely not $390 a month. (it's over a grand in line access charges alone.) $390 is a single T1 from megapath -- been there, dropped the assholes.

If you do go with Megapath, have an actual, professional, contract lawyer read the contract, and explain every single word in it. (I would still live without internet if they were my only choice.)

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to ramsaso

said by ramsaso:

I read on Wikipedia that Verizon stopped taking new ISDN orders last year...

Unless they have paperwork from the FCC, ISDN is a tariffed service (like POTS and T1) so they cannot simply say no to it. (it's also built into every piece of telco gear around, so there's no reason not to -- except for the loop quality it needs to work correctly.)

Zenit

Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

Yeah, I dont get it. Those 90's Lucent Lightspans can definitely do ISDN. And its tarrifed in VA! Unfortunately our state PUC, the SCC is a toothless organization that has been letting Verizon do whatever it wants. (They scrapped the lifeline universal service regulations for example).

The only answer I can get out of Verizon Direct Support is "No. No. Engineering says No. Were Sorry. No. LTE. No we dont do ISDN."

Well right on the tariff I see install fee of $150 for the activation of an ISDN loop for a CLEC. No CLEC's sell ISDN.

How the heck do I get Verizon to install a service its required to install and provide, but refuses to do so?

And - since I dont know this, what type of ISDN loop would be used for Internet access? PRI?

My friend will be happy to hear that VZ is still on the hook to provide ISDN.

Anyways, its not surprising to hear that the $390 offer for 12/12 bonded T-1 is a lie. It's too good to be true. And good to know that Megapath is a bunch of lying crooks (no different than Verizon I see?).

Zenit

Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Zenit

Well, it doesn't matter anymore anyways. :/

I talked it over and he decided Exede is better than ISDN for the rest of the people in the house - he was the only one with concern for latency, and 128kbit/sec is anemic in 2014. It would have took a battle to get Verizon to even do anything regarding ISDN anyways.

Oh how I hate that ILEC so, so much.