Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

3 edits

B4Knight

Premium Member

[HSI] Charter DNS Down Widespread

All sites return "This Webpage is not available"

I've flushed DNS cache, rebooted all network equipment as well as my computers.

If I type in the IP Address of the website I want everything works fine, but domain names return nothing. I've never experienced this before with Charter... Oh well, guess I'll switch to Google DNS in the meantime.
historyvids
join:2010-11-19
Gaffney, SC

historyvids

Re: [HSI] Charter DNS Down?

I can confirm the same here in S.C, switched to Google DNS and everything works again.

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Good to know.. I wonder if all of Charter's regional DNS servers are down? I believe the one for my region is in Allendale, MI.
SwitchFX
join:2007-09-15
La Canada Flintridge, CA

SwitchFX to B4Knight

to B4Knight

Re: [HSI] Charter DNS Down in Michigan?

I'm in SoCal, La Canada Flintridge to be specific. I've been having speed and site availability/resolving issues all morning and so far well into and past noon. I didn't think it was a Charter issue and maybe a localized problem.

Considering it's the weekend, I imagine no one will bother to fix it until Monday?

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

They will fix DNS issues ASAP. There are always people working in the NOC (Network Operations Center). I'm sure the issue will be resolved shortly
google2
join:2004-02-04
South Beloit, IL

google2 to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Yeah, DNS is flaking out. I changed mine to Google's DNS on my router since that seems to be working flawlessly.
SwitchFX
La Canada Flintridge, CA

1 recommendation

SwitchFX to B4Knight

to B4Knight
said by B4Knight:

They will fix DNS issues ASAP. There are always people working in the NOC (Network Operations Center). I'm sure the issue will be resolved shortly

Good news!

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Yes it is! Honestly, this is the first time I can remember having an issue with Charter DNS...

As for your slow speeds that is most likely something totally separate from names not resolving.

Kinetic
@97.88.18.x

Kinetic to SwitchFX

Anon

to SwitchFX
Charter DNS is down in MN too. I just switched to googles DNS and it's all good.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Shouldn't people be using something other than Charter's DNS regardless?
SwitchFX
La Canada Flintridge, CA

SwitchFX to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Actually, you're right. I've got a few bandwidth heavy things running.

The DNS issue showed up this morning and increased. I thought it was Chrome having issues (as usual) but it appeared Firefox and Opera had similar issues connecting to sites.

I've never used third party DNS other than Open DNS once to test something maybe 7 or 8 years ago. How do they differ from Charter?

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364
Not really, unless you want to. I doubt the average subscriber is using 3rd party DNS services. Charter DNS is the fastest for me according to the all the tests I've run. This is the first time I've had a problem with it
SwitchFX
La Canada Flintridge, CA

SwitchFX

said by B4Knight:

Not really, unless you want to. I doubt the average subscriber is using 3rd party DNS services. Charter DNS is the fastest for me according to the all the tests I've run. This is the first time I've had a problem with it

Oh. If I'm on a network, I have to change the router's DNS or will my computer do and override the router?

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight to SwitchFX

Premium Member

to SwitchFX
I just went on my phone and looked up dslreports and yahoo's IP address and it worked fine that way
dcrowson
join:2002-07-21
O Fallon, MO

dcrowson to SwitchFX

to SwitchFX
... the difference right now is that they're up. I'm guessing Charter's main DNS server is being DoS'ed because it do get some packets back from it but not many. I changed to another Charter DNS server that is working - 24.217.201.67.

The only issue I would see if you use other servers would be that the DNS lookups might take a little longer.

Dan

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight to SwitchFX

Premium Member

to SwitchFX
I just changed it on my router. Its quicker that way and all my devices can resolve names rather than changing each device individually.
SwitchFX
La Canada Flintridge, CA

SwitchFX to dcrowson

to dcrowson
said by dcrowson:

... the difference right now is that they're up. I'm guessing Charter's main DNS server is being DoS'ed because it do get some packets back from it but not many. I changed to another Charter DNS server that is working - 24.217.201.67.

The only issue I would see if you use other servers would be that the DNS lookups might take a little longer.

Dan

I'd read somewhere that Google's DNS was fast because of all their datacenters and hubs.
MITC420
join:2014-05-29
Kingsley, MI

MITC420 to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Our DNS is out also, going through the Allendale hub. It's probably from the extremely violent storms looping through Chicago Area in the past hour.

FYI: I was able to very slowly search BING, and I looked up the DNS for Google.

Google DNS Info:
»developers.google.com/sp ··· lic-dns/

GOOGLE DNS: 8.8.8.8
GOOGLE DNS ALT: 8.8.4.4

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Charters phone number is ringing busy right now. Uh ohhh!
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to B4Knight

Premium Member

to B4Knight
East side of St Louis in IL is out also ......
benaiah
join:2014-08-03
Birmingham, AL

benaiah

Same issues in Birmingham. As others have said, switching to Google DNS solved the problem.

Jaybonaut
join:2012-05-29
Sheboygan, WI

Jaybonaut to B4Knight

to B4Knight

Re: [HSI] Charter DNS Down Widespread

Wisconsin here.
DigitalManny
join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Down also in my area Glendale, CA and tried calling them not working also not a good sign at all.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Down in St. Louis, too.

Got a call from one of my restaurants that they couldn't run credit cards. I went there and pinged 8.8.8.8 and that worked but not 'google.com' so I knew it was DNS.

However, I always have our systems set to Google for DNS but we made some changes to the POS system a few months ago and, somehow, the system was set to 'Obtain DNS automatically' so it was a quick, easy fix and we didn't lose any sales, fortunately.
PHOENIXZERO
join:2006-07-11
Beaverton, MI

PHOENIXZERO to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Yeah... That was quite annoying.

Calling Charter was no good for the obvious busy reasons.

CoolMan
join:2008-01-07
Maryville, TN
ARRIS BGW210-700
Netgear R7000

CoolMan to B4Knight

to B4Knight

said by B4Knight:

I just spoke to Ken at the NOC and he said their well aware of it, the call queue on the main 888-Get Charter number has been full for a while. I called the NOC directly as there number was working. He didn't have a specific ETA yet but they are hopeful and working like crazy their in Louisville right now he said.

Charter NOC: 866-248-7662

Pesimist
join:2007-07-09
Valley, AL

Pesimist to B4Knight

to B4Knight

Re: [HSI] Charter DNS Down Widespread

Yup, out in Alabama as well. And of course the 888 number is overwhelmed
DigitalManny
join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Maybe Charter Spectrum guide is finally coming to HD DVRs sooner in my area or download speed from 60 to 100? Oh who am I kidding this is Charter lol

Bro
@70.193.2.x

Bro to benaiah

Anon

to benaiah

How do you switch DNS to Google?

BluesFan
Stanley Cup Champions
join:2002-05-25
O Fallon, IL

BluesFan