Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Reusing and selling my own cable modem?

Hello.

If I were to buy my own cable, will I be able to reuse it on other cable ISPs and even sell to different owners to reuse? Or is it an one time usage?

Thank you in advance.

TWC_User
join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles

1 recommendation

TWC_User

There's isn't some sort of kill switch for ISPs where they can like, we will blow up the modem after you discontinue our service. lol.

So yes, you can reuse the cable modem, as long as the Cable ISP supports it.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by TWC_User:

There's isn't some sort of kill switch for ISPs where they can like, we will blow up the modem after you discontinue our service. lol.

Thanks. I remember some people said not to buy used cable modems from eBay and stuff for being blacklisted.

TWC_User
join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
(Software) pfSense
Humax BGW320-500
TP-Link EAP610

TWC_User

said by antdude:

said by TWC_User:

Thanks. I remember some people said not to buy used cable modems from eBay and stuff for being blacklisted.

I have heard people saying that as well... I don't know what's the cause of that, maybe it could be a stolen modem, or etc. I would just go ahead and buy a new modem.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

harald to antdude

to antdude
Many of the modems listed on Ebay are "stolen", that is they are leased modems owned by the cable companies that were not returned. Maybe found in an apartment having been left behind by the previous tenant. For that reasons the cable companies keep a database of the serials of the modems they own, and check the ID of supposed customer-owned modems against it.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by harald:

Many of the modems listed on Ebay are "stolen", that is they are leased modems owned by the cable companies that were not returned. Maybe found in an apartment having been left behind by the previous tenant. For that reasons the cable companies keep a database of the serials of the modems they own, and check the ID of supposed customer-owned modems against it.

Ah thanks.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

2 recommendations

maartena to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by TWC_User:

Those are most likely modems that didn't get returned. People move, cancel their cable, "forget" to return equipment, end up in some other state they can't be tracked down by the creditors, and end up selling the cable modem on eBay.

If the provider is DIFFERENT, you may be able to get away with such a modem, as e.g. Comcast does not know what modems TWC used, etc.... if the provider is the SAME, the modem hardware address will come up as stolen, and you will have a problem.