Search similar:

uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[Pale Moon] How to undo an accidental setting for Flash at Youtube?

I have Flash on ASK. I clicked on a link in the Security forum, using Pale Moon, and a video (obnoxious one) immediately began playing! So, I tried some other Flash videos at youtube and they ALL ignored the ASK setting.

I think that somehow recently when the popup asked me if I wanted to allow Flash to play that one time at youtube or always that I accidentally clicked always! UGH.

How do I undo this? I don't have an account at youtube. Yet it knows my IP address which never changes and, evidently, it remembers that I must have clicked "Always" allow Flash to play at youtube EVEN THOUGH FLASH IS SETTING IS ALWAYS ASK. Geeez...

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 edit

therube

> and a video (obnoxious one) immediately began playing

Link?
(I like obnoxious things .)

plugin.state.flash, set its value to '1'.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
On Fx 24 ESR
I never watched the entire video so maybe it gets better...but it starts out with loud crappy music and tons of animation...very irritating (to me).

It's linked to in the final post in the 2014 AV Poll in the Security forum:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· qXEQ2l-Y

I have that setting you suggest already for Flash. It makes no difference. All videos at youtube play automatically now in Pale Moon. On the other hand, Fx 24 is fine. I am asked on it but I never mistakenly clicked on the Ask popup for Fx to always play videos at youtube without first asking. On Fx I have always clicked "allow only this time" not "always allow" which I must have clicked on Pale Moon.

It's driving me nuts. I spent hours this evening trying to fix the problem. I cleared all settings across all browsers for Flash. It made no difference. There's got to be a way to undo clicking "allow and remember" on Pale Moon. Ironically, if I put Flash on Pale Moon to "disable" instead of "ask" then I get a popup asking if I want to play a youtube video in HTML5 (that's my StopTube extension). But I don't want to use HTML5 because at youtube the highest it will play in is 720 but Flash will play in Ultra HD (4k).
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

That really is annoying. Google may be punishing you....

Some ideas, in case you haven't tried them, yet.
Try without StopTube.
Try Flashblock.
Try with YouTube High Definition 31.5, and turn off autoplay.

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· finition
»barisderin.com/?p=1113

Where are the site-specific preferences stored, and what does it list for Google's little video site?

What about a new Profile, just for grins?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Stoptube is only for HTML5. It has nothing to do with Flash.

I'll try Flashblock tomorrow (have to get some sleep now).

I didn't realize the current YouTube High Definition has autoplay and has It on by default! That is HORRIBLE. I really love the extension but I won't continue with any version that has such a setting. I'll go back to an earlier version. It doesn't matter that you can uncheck autoplay. The dev has gone against all security measures (as well as simple politeness in that nothing should do anything until it is granted permission) by having that and also having it defaulted! SHAME on the dev for such stupidity. (And, yes, shame on me for not noticing that was added). I have 9.4 version on Fx 24 (which doesn't have autoplay which was added last month) and so I thought you had hit on the problem. I was all excited.

So, I unchecked that autoplay junk (I am really surprised at the dev as I have more than one of his extensions and love them...until this). Proxo would stop the damn thing from autoplaying except Youtube has made the site secure and Proxo doesn't do secure sites. I would like to force youtube to NON secure site. I have Google search forced to non-secure but I don't how to do it with youtube.

Anyhow, after I unchecked autoplay in YouTube High Definition, I then closed Pale Moon and restarted it. It still played videos at youtube withOUT first asking! UGH and DOUBLE UGH!

You mean site specific preferences for Flash at Youtube? I got rid of all Flash settings across all browsers and then set Flash to block everything but the damn videos still autoplay at Youtube. That's why I think that accidently clicking the setting to remember that it is ok to always activate Flash at youtube is the problem. I have NO youtube settings as I don't have an account there but I thought somehow Youtube was remembering the always activate choice...but that is just speculation and my attempt to figure this out.

I'll try my other Pale Moon profile that I don't think has any changes or extensions, etc. but I have to sleep now...so tomorrow.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

1 edit

Exidor

Premium Member

On Firefox 31, when I clicked the icon (resembles a Lego block) in the address bar, then clicked Allow and Remember the YouTube video played...

clicking the icon (resembles a Lego block) in the address bar again, then clicking Block Plugin the video was immediately blocked from playing...

Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

3 edits

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

Re: [Pale Moon] Page Info, Permissions: Plugins

Click for full size
Page Info: Permissions
said by Exidor:

On Firefox 31, when I clicked the icon (resembles a Lego block) in the address bar, then clicked Allow and Remember the YouTube video played...

A Lego block! How appropriately AWESOME for Ms. Mele's offending auto-playing video on Google's little mass tracking, mass video image collection, and data mining, but "free", project (just image what they could do with it, if it ever caught on and became a bit popular...)!

Great post Exidor! Reminded me that that is one easy way to get to the "Page-Info" (site-specific) dialogue, which contains the "Permissions" Tab, which allows for the setting of Plug-In permissions (and more). Hopefully negates the need to find and edit this were it's actually stored.

Google did make changes to their Video site earlier this month.

I would still try disabling the StopTube/html extension, and see what effect that may have, if any.
Bobby_Peru

Bobby_Peru to therube

Premium Member

to therube

Re: [Pale Moon] How to undo an accidental setting for Flash at Youtube?

said by therube:

(I like obnoxious things .)

Can you bottle that, and send some over. It would make _everything_ AWSOME....
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

to Bobby_Peru

I had to go through many contortions to get that Lego icon to appear on youtube on Pale Moon. When I finally got it to appear, mouse hover did not tell me anything about it!

It appears to me, after a LOT of testing on Fx 24.7 ESR, Pale Moon 24.7.1 and Opera 12.17, that both Fx and Pale Moon are no longer able to use the setting ALWAYS ASK for Flash at youtube. It is either ALWAYS PLAY or ALWAYS BLOCK. Opera behaves correctly and ASKS EACH TIME. (YouTube is no longer telling me that Opera is an old version of Fx that YouTube is going to block soon. In my testing I found that I had long ago set Opera to Mask as Fx globally. I changed that on youtube back to Identify as Opera and that warning disappeared).

What I don't know is whether or not Flash setting to Always Ask at YouTube that is not working, or is it because I am using an older version of Fx (and Pale Moon is based off the older Fx version), OR because Google did something, when they revamped youtube recently, to mess up Flash permissions on ALL versions of Fx?

Those of you with current Fx version, if you have Flash set to ASK on youtube and you allow Flash to activate to play a video and you do NOT click on "Allow and Remember" on the Lego icon but only click on "Allow Now" what happens if, after the video plays, you close that tab and then open a new tab to youtube.com and look at permissions? Flash should still be set on ASK. It works this way (correctly) on Opera. On Fx 24 .7 ESR and Pale Moon, the permissions setting for Flash is changed to ALLOW. This means that EVERY TIME you allow Flash video at YouTube you must, when finished, go to page permissions for Youtube and RESET Flash permission to ALWAYS ASK. Obviously, you should not need to do that as Permissions for Flash on youtube should remain on ASK unless you tell YouTube to allow and remember.

One other thing....what is "Use Default" for Plugins on Page Info? That should correspond to how you have each Plugin set in Manage Plugins for Fx and PM, right? It does NOT correspond for me to the Manage Plugin settings. So, how does one know what "Use Default" means for a site when looking at Page Info for that site?
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

in my experience, videos alway play automatically, at "youtube".. i don't know of a way to disable it..

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

When I finally got it to appear, mouse hover did not tell me anything about it!

There is no hover info, only click info, on my FF 31 as well.
said by Mele20:

Those of you with current Fx version, if you have Flash set to ASK on youtube and you allow Flash to activate to play a video and you do NOT click on "Allow and Remember" on the Lego icon but only click on "Allow Now" what happens if, after the video plays, you close that tab and then open a new tab to youtube.com and look at permissions?

On my FF 31 setup the permission sticks between new tabs and new windows.

Only restarting/closing the browser completely reverted the permission to "Allow Now" or "Allow and Remember".

Also when opening a new browser session this bar appears the width of the browser (I have reduced the size to accommodate a narrower screenshot here).

Clicking allow then brings up the same options box as clicking the "Lego" button, and another click is needed on that options box to "Allow". One can bypass the bar and use the "Lego" button or just x out the bar.
said by Mele20:

One other thing....what is "Use Default" for Plugins on Page Info? That should correspond to how you have each Plugin set in Manage Plugins for Fx and PM, right? It does NOT correspond for me to the Manage Plugin settings. So, how does one know what "Use Default" means for a site when looking at Page Info for that site?

On my FF 31 setup, "Use Default" corresponds to the settings in "Manage Plugins" unless I change the permissions for a site, then the "Page Info" shows the permission as "Always Ask" or "Allow" or "Block", depending on what it is set for that site.

I can't explain or justify any of the above behaviour, only report it as I see it on my system setup.

Much of this post, the longest I have ever written, may not even be relevant as I don't have Pale Moon installed to compare behaviours.

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

In Firefox: about:config -> "media.autoplay.enabled", toggle to "False" might stop them from playing.
angussf

angussf to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Better solution:
How to undo "Allow and remember"? | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support
»support.mozilla.org/en-U ··· s/983726
You can inspect and manage the permissions for all domains on the about:permissions page or for the domain in the currently selected tab via these steps:

Click the "Site Identity Button" (globe/padlock) on the location bar
Click "More Information" to open Page Info
Go to the Permissions tab
Tools > Page Info > Permissions

»support.mozilla.org/kb/h ··· missions

You can delete the permissions.sqlite file to reset all permissions.
Found thusly:
firefox allow and remember - Startpage Web Search
»startpage.com/do/search? ··· =english
Note: a similar search for [PaleMoon "allow and remember"] doesn't find the Mozilla KB article, so perhaps it won't work in PM....