Search similar:

uniqs
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

1 recommendation

gs0b

Verizon is offering free upgrade for really old Actiontec Routers

Do you have an older Actiontec router that doesn't support WPA2? Verizon is offering a free upgrade to a refurbished unit that has it. It's still 802.11.g and 10/100 Ethernet, but if you have a really old router this should be interesting to you.

Details are here:
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· ShowCart

Look for "Upgrade offer for WPA2 Encryption."

Enjoy.

-
c17chief
join:2001-12-27
Lake Jackson, TX

c17chief

Just renewed a bundle. Anything higher then 50/50 they were pushing free new router on the condition the old one was sent back. I didn't have and didn't take a 50 tier or better....but makes me wonder if you HAD to take them up on it or could decline it (without causing some abnormalities in their system to get screwed up later). It would actually create more hassle for people like me that are wired for Ethernet WAN (so I can use which ever router I chose without a MoCa bridge) and cable card for tv (so no boxes thus needing coax guide data). Would just be another piece of equip sitting in the closet taking up space in case they wanted it sent back upon disconnect.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to gs0b

to gs0b
It's interesting how VZ readily gives free routers to existing customers... Very readily - previously for just speed upgrades, but now out of the goodness of their heart.

But it wants $5/month for them from new customers. It's one of the things delaying me from signing up. If they had a promo to eliminate that (for life), I'd probably sign up at current costs. (The way they are freely giving them out to existing customers makes me think that maybe they'll have a promo that includes it for new customers eventually)
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

said by JackBauer:

It's interesting how VZ readily gives free routers to existing customers... Very readily - previously for just speed upgrades, but now out of the goodness of their heart.

I don't think Verizon is giving away routers here. It looks like they are offering a free replacement if you already have a really old model. I'd expect they'll want the old one back.

Since I didn't click through the "purchase" link as I have a Rev I (the latest), I can't be certain. But given Verizon's prior behavior I doubt they will let people keep the replaced router.

It's not out of the "goodness of their hearts," either. WEP/WPA is basically worthless as a security measure. I suspect Verizon may be limiting liability from people who have older, none-WPA2 routers trying to claim network break-ins could have been prevent had Verizon offered a WPA2 router. Thus, this looks to be a "CYA" move by Verzion.

Nerveless, if you have an old none-WPA2 router now is a good time to get a newer model!

Enjoy.
texastown
join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

texastown

I went to order one of these free routers but I checked our current router first. It's an Actiontec M1424-WR. Their info page shows my current router can be upgraded to WPA2. So I went into the router settings and followed all their directions to change it to WPA2 but after hitting apply the change does not take effect. It goes back to WEP. So can my router be changed to WPA2 or do I need new one.

Thanks for any help.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by texastown:

I went to order one of these free routers but I checked our current router first. It's an Actiontec M1424-WR. Their info page shows my current router can be upgraded to WPA2. So I went into the router settings and followed all their directions to change it to WPA2 but after hitting apply the change does not take effect. It goes back to WEP. So can my router be changed to WPA2 or do I need new one.

Thanks for any help.

Your current Actiontec router, which revision is it? If you look on the bottom it should display "Rev. x".
texastown
Plano, TX

texastown

It says Revision F

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by texastown:

It says Revision F

I have the same Rev and I'm currently using WPA2 for security.
texastown
Plano, TX

texastown

Interesting, I just logged into our account and a notice came up and said our router needs to be upgraded for free and sent me to the order page. So maybe there is some difference in our routers, but they want to give me a newer one so I'll order it.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson to gs0b

Premium Member

to gs0b

>>gs0b: I'd expect they'll want the old one back.

They don't. I ordered one of these free routers--$6 shipping fee--because I thought that the router was the newer rev-I (should have looked more closely at the description). There is no notice when ordering or in the shipping box to return your old router.
texastown
Plano, TX

texastown to gs0b

to gs0b

Re: Verizon is offering free upgrade for really old Actiontec Routers

Well, I went back into my router and on the third try the WPA2 was enabled with the new password, so they are sending me the new one for 6.44 which I don't need. Can I cancel it or just put it away and use the old one when it comes?
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

1 recommendation

Betamax76 to gs0b

to gs0b
said by gs0b:

It's not out of the "goodness of their hearts," either. WEP/WPA is basically worthless as a security measure. I suspect Verizon may be limiting liability from people who have older, none-WPA2 routers trying to claim network break-ins could have been prevent had Verizon offered a WPA2 router. Thus, this looks to be a "CYA" move by Verzion.

All Actiontec routers except the Rev. A (the original model) support WPA2 security. But Verizon realizes that most subscribers leave the factory security settings (those that appear on the sticker attached to the router) unchanged. So they've modified Rev. E and Rev. F Actiontecs that have been returned to have WPA2 security by default (the sticker on the router has WPA2 security settings). Rev. E and Rev. F Actiontecs were originally shipped with default WEP security settings.
snic
join:2009-10-14
usa

snic to gs0b

to gs0b
I don't get it. I clicked the link and from what I can tell, anyone can order a WPA2 router for free from Verizon, even if they don't have an old WPA-only router - and even if they aren't a Verizon customer.

Huh? I'm tempted...

(Yes, it's only 802.11b/g, but it's also free.)
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

1 recommendation

Betamax76

said by snic:

I don't get it. I clicked the link and from what I can tell, anyone can order a WPA2 router for free from Verizon, even if they don't have an old WPA-only router - and even if they aren't a Verizon customer.

Verizon has a bunch of these Rev. E and Rev. F Actiontec routers sitting around collecting dust after reclaiming them from customers who upgraded to Quantum TV, where a Rev. I router is required. With the new MoCA 2.0 routers due out this fall, Verizon likely needs the warehouse space. Note that they do charge $6 for shipping.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to snic

to snic
said by snic:

You can regularly find n routers for free after rebate. A g router isn't worth the cost of shipping.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by dfwguy:

said by snic:

You can regularly find n routers for free after rebate. A g router isn't worth the cost of shipping.

Can the ActionTEch's be configured as MOCA bridges? If so maybe some folks could have a use for multiple, if they're giving them away.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to gs0b

Premium Member

to gs0b
Yeah, got the email, thought it was spam (links didn't look right).

But this is for those with the original M1424-WR which I have (no Rev, just a firmware version decal). And Verizon is offering a refurbished replacement, not latest Actiontec.

It's not free if they charge S/H!

For sometime, I've turned my wifi off and use Apple Timecapsule as a bridged AP... this is moot.
Seems Verizon is possibly doing this for legal reasons (since WEP is hackable and WPA no longer secure).
snic
join:2009-10-14
usa

snic to gs0b

to gs0b
I went ahead and ordered one, and they sent one out even though I wasn't targeted by Verizon as an eligible customer. I ended up with a GigE Rev I, which I think is the latest version (or close to it). At the very least, it has wireless N (in addition to WPA2), so this will make installing an additional AP that much easier (and cheaper). Definitely worth the cost of shipping.
snic

snic to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

Can the ActionTEch's be configured as MOCA bridges?

Yes.

(With apologies for the snark.)

stuck23235
Premium Member
join:2008-01-19
Richmond, VA

stuck23235 to gs0b

Premium Member

to gs0b
I too ordered one and received a Rev I. Also I see nothing about sending the old one back. They did not send a return shipping label and no instructions.
TazExprez
join:2002-04-27
Yonkers, NY

TazExprez

said by stuck23235:

I too ordered one and received a Rev I. Also I see nothing about sending the old one back. They did not send a return shipping label and no instructions.

Since you don't have to send the old one back, I will order at least one. I currently have one Rev. E, two Rev. F's, and one Rev. I. I use three of these to extend the MoCA network to other rooms. If I could order more, at just the shipping cost, I will.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Betamax76

Premium Member

to Betamax76
said by Betamax76:

said by snic:

Verizon has a bunch of these Rev. E and Rev. F Actiontec routers sitting around collecting dust after reclaiming them from customers who upgraded to Quantum TV, where a Rev. I router is required. With the new MoCA 2.0 routers due out this fall, Verizon likely needs the warehouse space. Note that they do charge $6 for shipping.

That's interesting because I have the 50mbps plan and Quantum TV, and with the exception of a box upgrade (to the Motorola 7100-P2 from the old black Motorola 2500 SDTV STB), I still have the Rev. D router with no issues using it. Then again, I don't have an MoCA install either, and the router is strictly for the STB.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

betamax was referring to the Rev.I requirement for the new VMS system. Older style equipment like you have is not nearly as sensitive to the router revision. Quantum TV as a branding term is used by Verizon to make everyone think it's all brand new, and they'll use it loosely to cover all TV services, but it really refers to the VMS system.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Ah, I have the "Premium" Quantum package, but I don't have a DVR so it probably doesn't apply then.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

said by sk1939:

Ah, I have the "Premium" Quantum package, but I don't have a DVR so it probably doesn't apply then.

Call me stupid, but how can one have "premium" quantum service and not have a dvr? Premium quantum is for 2 vms boxes which have dvr's.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

1 edit

sk1939

Premium Member

Correction, the whole bundle was classed under "Quantum" when I signed up for it. The package for TV is Extreme, which does not technically fall under Quantum label since it does not use a DVR or VMS. My bad.
nickfie
join:1999-11-23
Wynnewood, PA

nickfie to gs0b

to gs0b
Appreciate the link. Couldn't get the link in the Verizon e-mail to work. Ordered one, the web page seemed to interact with the In-Home Agent software.

I have a Rev A, eager to replace it.

Have Rev F & Rev I from eBay. Had a Rev C from a friend who was sent a replacement router with no request to return the old one, can't remember where it ended up.

I can go longer between router reboots on newer models with more memory. AT&T MicroCell, employer's Aruba VPN router, various other devices all demand table entries.

FWIW, seem to get better speed test results with newer models.

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to gs0b

to gs0b
What are the chances of getting a REV I these days?
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by SoCalDude:

Unless Verizon has moved out all their supply of Rev Is before pushing their new Quatum router, I would say pretty good.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to SoCalDude

MVM

to SoCalDude
said by SoCalDude:

I did this swap just a few weeks ago. I was sent a Rev. F. YMMV.