Anon

to Nezmo

Re: Verizon is offering free upgrade for really old Actiontec Routers

I got a revision E when I ordered the free replacement
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to gs0b

to gs0b
my friend has Rev-E which router does Verizon send?

the newest gateway?
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

1 edit

Myzteziz

said by patt2k:

my friend has Rev-E which router does Verizon send?

the newest gateway?

You can only purchase of rent the new Gateway. They aren't going to send that to anyone for free.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

Actually Some are getting them for free.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

said by tnsprin:

The brand new Greenwave Gateway's? How?
If someone uses the accessories page to upgrade an old router for free I know some are getting the rev. i's., but there is no way they are sending the gateway's for free as the replacement.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to tnsprin

Premium Member

to tnsprin
said by tnsprin:

Could you post a link to even one post claiming the new router for free?, as I read here everyday and have never seen this.

The "free" + shipping upgrade is for old stock Rev I or older, not the new Quantum G1100 Router

shadowcaster1
join:2008-04-21
Dix Hills,NY

shadowcaster1 to snic

to snic
said by snic:

(Yes, it's only 802.11b/g, but it's also free.)

If you get a Rev F, it's "n" : »www.actiontec.com/213.html
shadowcaster1

2 edits

shadowcaster1

If you really want a Rev I, and don't care about keeping your "old" router, then just do what I did today.

Go to your local Vzn store and they'll do an even, no charge, swap for a new (not refurbished) Rev I. Swapped my "D".

They'll swap any Rev older than the "I". Not a promo, good all day, every day
jblazea50
join:2014-09-16
Beltsville, MD

jblazea50

This is true. I just swapped rev F for a brand new rev I today.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

my ques is:

If you are not charged monthly for your Actiontec, could you now be charged as this is not the router you opened your acct with?
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to snic

Premium Member

to snic
Make sure to check that.
said by snic:

Definitely worth the cost of shipping.

I kept getting Emails from Verizon to raise my security to WPA2. I could not do it with my old router so I asked for a new one. They gave me the runaround (of course) and told me I couldn't get one without buying it.

I made a Chat request and got escalated to a phone call from a Verizon rep. After a long tussle, I told them since Verizon was overcharging anyway for FiOS, I would just cancel and get Comcast (XFninity) to come in with a new router. Then they tried to convince me that Comcast wasn't as fast and I wouldn't be happy with their speeds. I told the rep I already wasn't happy with Verizon's speeds, so why should I care since Comcast was offering twice the DL, 25% of the upload and at 30% of the cost? If they only delivered half it would still beat the throughput I was getting from Verizon.

In the end, they agreed to put me on the 50/50 plan, remove the price increase and add a $10.00 promotional price discount. I was assured that the router would be sent no charge, no shipping, but they charged me anyway. Keep a watch on your statements or auto billing if you have that and pester them to honor their agreements because they rarely do.

shadowcaster1
Dix Hills,NY

shadowcaster1 to jimboe

to jimboe

No, no change in the billing

said by jimboe:

my quess is:
If you are not charged monthly for your Actiontec, could you now be charged as this is not the router you opened your acct with?

In fact, the csr told me there would not even be a receipt because it was an even swap.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

.. but there is now a new MAC address associated with your account; the original one removed.

When do you expect your next bill? Please let us know!
snic
join:2009-10-14
usa

snic to jimboe

to jimboe

said by jimboe:

Why should they charge you a monthly fee for a router that they are not renting you, but giving you (if you exchange the old router for a new one)? At any rate, I got a new router even though Verizon gave me a rev I when I signed up. So clearly they aren't checking, which means they aren't charging. And in fact they haven't started charging me.

shadowcaster1
Dix Hills,NY

4 edits

shadowcaster1

said by snic:

Why should they charge you a monthly fee for a router that they are not renting you, but giving you (if you exchange the old router for a new one)? At any rate, I got a new router even though Verizon gave me a rev I when I signed up. So clearly they aren't checking, which means they aren't charging. And in fact they haven't started charging me.

+1 and when ordering, it's not through your account, but by credit card with all the shipping info entered on the order page. So, they are clearly not checking as your experience proves.**

@jimboe..... I had already received a Rev I router on the 75/75 upgrade offer and that certainly changed my MAC address. No rental charge there. Plus, as I mentioned, when I swapped my "D" at the Vzn store, there wasn't any paperwork generated.

Additionally, of all the non renters in this thread, not one mentioned a rental charge after ordering the "swap an older router" on the Fios Equipment and Accessories Store.
waynomo
join:2014-12-17
Herndon, VA

waynomo to jblazea50

to jblazea50
Which Verizion store did you go to? I'm in the DC area and might go to your store if the store near me won't give me an I.

shadowcaster1
Dix Hills,NY

1 edit

shadowcaster1

reply to waynomo

Welcome to the forum !!

mtr4nch
@172.56.36.x

mtr4nch

Anon

do you need a verizon acct to do this swap in-store? since you guys are saying they aren't checking anything or doing any paperwork with it..

my "problem" is i have a rev. E sitting here, i'm not a customer yet, and it seems verizon wants rev. I for customer provided routers on a new install (according to their site). i plan on having internet only (50/50), and my home is already wired up with everything including ONT from previous owner (who left the rev. E router behind). from what i understand, the newer revisions have stuff for tv/phone services that is required (which i will not be getting).

do i even need a rev. I? i'm under the impression that it shouldn't matter what revision i have for internet only, they just need the mac address, correct?

thanks
waynomo
Herndon, VA

waynomo to shadowcaster1

to shadowcaster1
Thanks for the referral over to here.

I was asking jblazea50, since he is located not that far from me. I'm in VA, he's in MD.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

The one I always end up going to for things is the store in Takoma Park (your probably not that far from me). It's at 6909 Laurel Avenue, Takoma Park, MD, although I would go on a weekend, it's horrendous at rush hour.

byramr
Premium Member
join:2003-08-07
Woodbridge, VA

byramr

Premium Member

Check these locations out. »www.verizon.com/Support/ ··· 3.htm#VA
waynomo
Herndon, VA

waynomo

Thanks. The store closest to me did the exchange which was at Fair Oaks Mall. I was very pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy it was. (Perhaps less than a minute other than waiting on line.) My skepticism arose since I have tried upgrading to a Rev. I a couple of times in the past and was always rebuffed. Obviously they've changed their policy since the last time I attempted it.

Really, I can't believe how easy it was to do it.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Just make sure you don't get billed the rental fee.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

So long as they don't even ask for your account info to pull up, there's no need to worry about that
waynomo
Herndon, VA

waynomo

I think they asked my phone number when I did the exchange, but I haven't been charged a rental fee since day 1.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to gs0b

Premium Member

to gs0b

So should I be able to order this router without being a Verizon subscriber for the plain $5.99 price? Is there anything to be alert of? I see some people mentioned they didn't ask for a return.

shadowcaster1
Dix Hills,NY

shadowcaster1

Try it and see what happens.

Btw, for those wondering, if you weren't paying a rental fee before, you won't after receiving the router. Just checked my new bill online and no change.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by shadowcaster1:

Try it and see what happens.

Btw, for those wondering, if you weren't paying a rental fee before, you won't after receiving the router. Just checked my new bill online and no change.

I placed an order for about $5.99 + taxes. I have a shipment in my UPS account from them already at "Order Processed: Ready for UPS." That is the fastest processing I have ever seen lol.

Hopefully they don't murder me for money lol. They deducted the amount from my card already.

I won't get it till next week probably. What is includes with these other than the power supply/router? Does it come with a stand and/or Ethernet cable?

shadowcaster1
Dix Hills,NY

shadowcaster1

said by Darknessfall:

What is includes with these other than the power supply/router? Does it come with a stand and/or Ethernet cable?

Stand, ethernet cable and manual on cd. I got mine in 1 day.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by shadowcaster1:

said by Darknessfall:

What is includes with these other than the power supply/router? Does it come with a stand and/or Ethernet cable?

Stand, ethernet cable and manual on cd. I got mine in 1 day.

Thanks, I only purchased the basic shipping. It says it's coming Monday.