how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SuperDialed

join:2014-08-24
USA

[CDV] VoiP adapter

I'm a new Comcast customer, less than 24hrs in. I'm getting speedtests around 118down/11up.... although the actual speed feels slow compared to my old 8down. anyway, my question:

can I use a VoiP adapter to connect phone to modem for Comcast voice service?

modem: Zoom Model 5341J
router: Netgear Nighthawk

If so, I was hoping to use something simple and inexpensive such as: Grandstream GS-HT701 Handytone 701 or OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter

any advice?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

[CDV] Re: VoiP adapter

said by SuperDialed:

No. Comcast voice service isn't VOIP like you know. It uses a different kind of cable modem called an eMTA that has a phone module in it. It keeps the phone bandwidth and priority separate from the internet. Comcast phone also doesn't travel over the internet like the VOIP you're used does, it stays on Comcast's network before directly interfacing with other phone providers.
--
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
HUH?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SuperDialed
Sure you can use VoIP adapters. I have an OBi200 running here and call all over using Google Voice for free.

You can use any VoIP ATA you want.

I also have a BasicTalk box that I got from Walmart for $10 and used the published hack to take it back to a stock Grandstream GS-HT701.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by graysonf:

Sure you can use VoIP adapters. I have an OBi200 running here and call all over using Google Voice for free.

I also have a BasicTalk box that I got from Walmart for $10 and used the published hack to take it back to a stock Grandstream GS-HT701.

I assume that the OP is asking whether or not he/she can use a VOIP adapter to access his/her Comcast voice service without having to use an eMTA.

iNick
Premium
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL
reply to SuperDialed
To use CDV You need an EMTA Modem, The Zoom 5341J will not work but an ARRIS TM822G Will. Which is the same as the Zoom really beside the EMTA for Voice on it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to graysonf
said by graysonf:

But you can't use those Ethernet VoIP adapters to access CDV, which is what the OP was asking about.

said by SuperDialed:

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

SuperDialed

USA
reply to SuperDialed

thanks for the info!

iNick - Looks like the TM822G has been discontinued, but there are refurbished units being sold on eBay and Amazon. Do you think one of these will be my best bet?

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

2 recommendations

Do not buy from Ebay at any cost new used or refurbished. Even Amazon I would not buy unless it is new.
--
Caddy

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to SuperDialed
said by SuperDialed:

Looks like the TM822G has been discontinued, but there are refurbished units being sold on eBay and Amazon. Do you think one of these will be my best bet?

I bought my ARRIS TM822G eMTA new from Amazon and it's been working fine for me.

The current list of "new" TM822Gs on Amazon can be seen here: »www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/···tion=new

I see there's only one listed at $249.99 rifgt now, but just the other day there were a number of them priced at $199.99, and occasionally you will see a seller with a much lower price on one.

I don't think it's been discontinued yet, but there is a 16x4 version coming out soon - the TM1602: »[Equip] Arris TM1602 Voice Modem - 16x4 upgradable to 24x8

See this other recent thread on purchasing an TM822G: »[Equip] Replacing a TG862

jm101

join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
reply to SuperDialed

Re: [CDV] VoiP adapter

For fun you can take a look at your bill and see if Comcast has a Voice/Data Modem DOCSIS 3.0 Kit available for purchase. »Re: [Connectivity] Random Connection Issues

Apparently it is really supposed to be $149 or something like that. Plus with all the trouble we've had to go through it might not be worth it.

SuperDialed

USA
reply to SuperDialed

Re: VoiP adapter

thanks for the info!

iNick - Looks like the TM822G has been discontinued, but there are refurbished units being sold on eBay and Amazon. Do you think one of these will be my best bet?

SuperDialed

USA
reply to telcodad

Re: [CDV] Re: VoiP adapter

Arris TM1602 sounds good, wish I could buy it now.

Backtracking a little here, but I guess I should better explain the reason for my initial post

1) I ordered a Comcast Triple Play package, primarily, so I could get free installation as part of the promo.

2) When the Comcast tech (smart and nice guy) came out yesterday to install my "Extreme" speed line to my house, he said that since my modem (Zoom Model 5341J) doesn't support EMTA voice....that I would have to use the Comcast supplied modem which includes EMTA.....
He said that if he left without activating the voice package that the modem would keep looking for the phone and would eventually drop connectivity ... being that I have a Triple Play package and the voice must be activated

3) I begrudgingly accepted the Comcast supplied modem (Arris TG862), but I'm still using my Netgear Nighthawk as router.
Naturally, I don't want to pay for modem lease, so I'm eager to remedy the situation

4) I'm not sure if I want / need the voice package....or if I'll keep the cable TV part of the package either. I really just want the fastest, most reliable internet connection I can get at the best price

5) So, the question is..... since I am now up and running, can I swap out the retail Comcast Arris TG862 for my Zoom 5341J and still expect my account to keep working?

Or, should I deal with the lease fee for the Comcast Arris TG862 until the new Arris TM1602 is released and then I can keep the Triple Play package and use my own modem.....

I would love to figure this out while I'm still in the initial 30 day trial period.... but, I guess I can't expect the Arris TM1602 to be released in the next few weeks...?

iNick
Premium
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SuperDialed
Yes SuperDialed I bought one back in Oct. and it's worked fine.
for $85 with Prime Shipping isn't that bad. »www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/···ion=used before everyone says this is a bad deal and to buy new? but how if they don't sell it's new or Comcast won't install a TM822G for him. & I bought one used and Comcast activated it and got it working.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to NetFixer
My bad. I missed the part about the OP wanting to use an ATA with CDV. Honest mistake; everyone that I know who had CDV hated it and went elsewhere.