joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

[Landscaping] mysterious holes

Click for full size
Found 2 of these holes this morning about 3 feet apart. They don't go anywhere. Sun is too bright and phone is too crappy for better pics. Could that be something digging for grubs or something?
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

Prob rabbit. I get them too.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
Skunks will leave a hole like that feeding.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

1 recommendation

StephenRC to joewho

to joewho
In Florida: armadillos.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

1 recommendation

shdesigns to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
I have similar holes made by chipmunks.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to joewho

to joewho
squirrel digging up a walnut, etc that they buried?
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. When we moved in one of the neighbors warned us of skunks walking the street. My dog is off leash trained but sometimes she just darts out of the garage. Sprayed last year and this year she came back smelling like skunk but not as bad as a full spray. I usually don't stop her from chasing after a squirrel or other critter because she won't leave the yard. Trying to teach her that skunks are bad, but she's a lab. I think she likes it. When we go by the river she'll dive in shoulder first onto the deadest stinkiest fish. Anyway, I bet it's skunk. After that, maybe rabbit but I don't see many here. My mother in law has a few holes in her yard filled with babies.
Thanks for letting me put my thoughts out there. lol. I vote skunk. Now how to keep them out of my yard. From what I understand, it's a family that walks the streets freely around here. heh. As an add on, I believe that any hunting dog should have the opportunity to catch something at least once in it's life. Like a squirrel, but not a damned skunk. . Happy Sunday.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Same here. Caught 5 this year, best year was 24 chipmunks, there were holes everywhere.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to StephenRC

MVM

to StephenRC
In west Tn also

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue to joewho

to joewho
Ditto for chipmunks if it's a hole, and there seems to be twice as many of them this year in the mid-west.
Also have seen similar turf lifted holes by racoons looking for grubs.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to joewho

MVM

to joewho
The idiot squirrels leave holes like that in my yard. They are almost as bad as the moles.
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to joewho

to joewho
We have wabbits, baby wabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, and evidently some skunks too. There's a shit ton of holes around our house

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to joewho

to joewho
Voles will dig holes like that. I used to have trouble with them but my cat would catch them and play with them until they die. Haven't seen one in several years now.
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to joewho

to joewho
I'd vote for Chipmunks.

Frankg0
join:2005-03-09
Loudoun, VA

Frankg0 to joewho

to joewho
I have many this year too, some are from cicada killers some i suspect skunks and other little critters.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

This. Seems to be a bumper crop of chipmunks this year. Little bastards are tearing the crap out of my garden and eating our tomatoes.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to joewho

to joewho
Rent a Plate Compactor it'll shake the ground and freak them out, I did this with 2 squirrels that thought my yard was a good place to setup shop, they ran off and never returned, I think they thought they where in the middle of an earthquake.
I own one as I have DG all around my house that needs to be repacked every once in a while.
May even send your neighbors pest running for the hills.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to joewho

MVM

to joewho
I noticed a hole in my yard on Friday, but I didn't investigate it too much as I was in the middle of another project and it was hotter than Hades outside. I have seen more chipmunks this year than I have in the 10 years I've been in my house, so I think the votes for chipmunks makes sense.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to what the

Premium Member

to what the
said by what the:

I own one as I have DG all around my house that needs to be repacked every once in a while.

Dirty Gravel?

Inspector
join:2000-09-27
Shrewsbury, MA

1 recommendation

Inspector to joewho

to joewho
I'm no chipmunk expert, but do have many in our yard. From my limited knowledge and research of how to rid them learned that chipmunks are "smart" to avoid predator detection and get rid of the dirt they extract so that you typically don't see any mounds of soil, but rather the hole is level with the ground.

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to joewho

to joewho
I had holes like that.. Gophers... until I relocated them

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

said by what the:

Dirty Gravel?

Decomposed Granite

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to StillLearn

to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

Dirty Gravel?

Decomposed Granite!
Doeboye
join:2006-11-07
Canada

Doeboye to joewho

to joewho
I would bet those are skunks digging for grubs.... If that's the case, they're doing you a favour because the grubs will eat the roots of your grass and kill it in patches...

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

1 recommendation

coxta to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
Probably the other end of the mysterious hole in Siberia.
eagleknight
join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

eagleknight to joewho

to joewho
Could be squirrels, but I just noticed this past week in the kids sand box and a couple places in the yard around it these little holes and I think it is those Digger Wasps. Yours look similar.
James_C
join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY

James_C to joewho

to joewho
Mole, vole, gopher, etc. The reason the holes don't seem to go anywhere is that as it digs a tunnel it occasionally needs to push extra dirt out which plugs the back of the hole.

Look for slightly raised soil tunnels nearby, signaling a smaller animal like mole or vole. There's also something about the shape of the dirt mound that indicates a certain animal vs another but I don't recall the details on that.