Search similar:

uniqs
MaxGhost
join:2013-08-24
Ottawa, ON

MaxGhost

Slow speeds in the past few weeks

Hi

I have a 25/10 plan with Start. I've usually had pretty consistent 24mbps, but now it's been almost always at 9-10mbps. I'm just wondering if there would be a reason for this or if it could be resolved. I thought it was just a temporary problem so I decided to wait and see, but it doesn't seem to be resolving itself.

I'm in the Ottawa South area, can give details via PM/email.

Speedtest from a few minutes ago: »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 11061267

Another right now: »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 11173199

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Lots of capacity on this end - give us a call and we'd be happy to trouble-shoot. Thanks.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to MaxGhost

to MaxGhost
On this plan you should have 25.5 Mbps down. I am on the same plan.
I believe it is always better to test against one of the Toronto servers. That's where Start's interconnect is. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Your ping is high. Is it possible your line is being used by another process or computer while you are doing speed tests?

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam to MaxGhost

to MaxGhost
Just wanted to followup here, are you still having issues with speeds?
MaxGhost
Ottawa, ON

MaxGhost

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 14013716

Still getting the same speeds.

I tried Toronto as well, per alpovs' recommendation:

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 14015571

I didn't get a chance to call in, sorry about that. I'll try to call now.
joko77
Premium Member
join:2003-04-15
Grimsby, ON

joko77 to MaxGhost

Premium Member

to MaxGhost
Is happening to me as well. But my 30/10 drops to 4-8Mbps from 8pm till 1.00am.
Called in numerous times, had a swap of modem, although I said it occurs regularly at same times, not randomly. It didn`t help.

I got a response, Cogeco might be upgrading lines, we have no timeline, when its going to get fixed. So I am the one holding the bag of crap. (Wonder what would happen if I send 70% less of a payment each month.)
MaxGhost
Ottawa, ON

2 edits

MaxGhost

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 14075544

After a 38 minute call to troubleshoot, these are the results. It seems like my upload speed has dropped a bit, but my download speed problems seem to have cleared up. Ping has gone down by about 10 though, which is unfortunate. I hope that doesn't affect League of Legends :P

The tech said he would forward this to the tickets team, I believe, to see if it warrants doing field work and that he would get back to me.

This was definitely an improvement, but I'd love to see my upload speeds to go back up.

Edit: I opened up LoL to see if it has any effect. I'm getting 81ms ping now, where I was getting about 71-73ms previously, before this support call. I'm not entirely sure what was done, but it definitely affected my ping.

Start Sam
London, ON

Start Sam

Are you on DSL or the legacy 25+ rCable package?
MaxGhost
Ottawa, ON

MaxGhost

DSL 25/10. I've been with Start since last September.

Start Sam
London, ON

Start Sam

Could you please PM me your account # so that I can pull up your DSL connection.
MaxGhost
Ottawa, ON

MaxGhost

Done.

I just got a call from Bell to follow up on my call from yesterday. They said they would send someone to try and switch my connection's ports.

Funny enough, the Bell person I spoke to never heard of Cisco? What.

Start Sam
London, ON

Start Sam

Thanks, got your PM.

You spoke to Luke last night and he went through everything I would've done, so that's awesome. He submitted the DSL ticket request last night and another one of my collegues got the call rolling on that this morning with Bell.

I'll double check the dispatch date & time with Bell and send you a PM confirming to be sure it works for you.
MaxGhost
Ottawa, ON

MaxGhost

Great! Thanks for the awesome support! Thank Luke as well for me
MaxGhost

MaxGhost to Start Sam

to Start Sam
Just to follow up, the Bell tech just left. He did some stuff at the node near my building and everything is good now!

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 24487767

Ping dropped by half, upload reaches 10mbps.

Thanks again for the help!

Start Sam
London, ON

Start Sam

You're welcome, glad we resolve this for you.

Enjoy the weekend.