share rss forum feed

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

[IPv6] New UBEE DVM3203B Modem - No IPv6

Had a power failure last night, after which my trusty leased Arris 722G failed to connect. Exchanged it at the Xfinity store (yes, I saved and scanned my receipt) for a UBEE DVM3203B. The modem is 8x4, and signal levels are better than on my old 722G. Only problem so far is I can't seem to get IPv6 to work, Using an ASUS RT-AC66 with latest Merlin firmware. IPv6 worked with the Arris. Tried rebooting the router, and turning on/off IPv6 on the router. Of course 6to4 works. Any ideas how to get IPv6 to work natively? Thanks.

elkido122

join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA
i had some issues with ipv6 with merlin firmware to be honest.. although his latest build number 45 seems to be good.. have you tried stock firmware and resetting the router and modem and going from scratch again and seeing if that works? let us know

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to owlyn
What I would do as the first troubleshooting step would be to connect a computer that supports DHCPv6 directly to the modem, and then reboot both the modem and the computer. Any currently supported Windows version, and any recent *nix flavor (including OS X) should support DHCPv6.

The results of that test should tell you if you have a compatibility problem between your router and the modem, or between the modem and Comcast's infrastructure. If the problem appears to related to only the router, try cloning the MAC address of the computer you used for the above test into the router's WAN interface (and of course reboot the modem and the router). I have had that "fix" IPv6 connectivity problems that resulted from an unexpected service interruption on several occasions (Comcast's DHCPv6 server(s) seem to sometimes "flag" specific MAC/DUID addresses if something unexpected happens).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Tried one more thing before elkido's idea. Don't know why it worked, but... While the modem and router were both powered up, I unplugged the Ethernet lines from the modem to router and router to the computer, then plugged them back in. Instant success. 'splain that one...

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by owlyn:

Tried one more thing before elkido's idea. Don't know why it worked, but... While the modem and router were both powered up, I unplugged the Ethernet lines from the modem to router and router to the computer, then plugged them back in. Instant success. 'splain that one...

The router (and/or the computer) would see the Ethernet interface drop, and that would possibly cause it to restart that interface. I have seen that procedure wake up seemingly "stuck" interfaces on numerous occasions.

There is also the possibility that there was a bit of corrosion (or a foreign contaminant) on the Ethernet cable connector or the Ethernet jack on either device; and just removing and reinserting the cables one more time cleaned the electrical contacts. I have seen that "fix" many, many network problems.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Well, my motto is, "Whatever works." Thanks!

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by owlyn:

Well, my motto is, "Whatever works." Thanks!

Absolutely. But if you don't already have a spare Ethernet patch cable on hand, you may want to obtain one. The magic fix of re-seating the Ethernet cable can also be a symptom of a poor IDC connection inside the Ethernet connector.
--

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Got plenty on hand.