All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: Just curious about Verizon dsl "availability" or lack of.

I've looked into other options but came up empty handed, not even a fixed wisp or broadband over power lines which would be an inexpensive solution to running lines. I'm not sure where to look I just know I couldn't find any providers that service the area in the yellow pages or an online search.

I wish there was some kind of database or information for a broadband roadmap that tells which areas providers are planning to hook up with broadband. I was linked to a supposed roadmap but couldn't find anything informative with it and was unsure where to look on the roadmap to find my area.

Verizon can't/won't service the area with dsl cause their terminal is too far away and I doubt they will install a new one closer. TDS stops two houses past the road the park is on but won't come into the park because the park is Verizon territory and for some asinine reason it's illegal for them to run lines into a Verizon area and offer service. Free market and competition my behind..

I'm currently on wireless lte through Verizon wireless but the caps are not nearly high enough and it's way too expensive. I'm not even *that* far out, the park is six to ten miles at most outside the city/village and there is likely fiber even close than that; it takes around ten to fifteen minutes tops to go from here to the city/village. There is a town just up the road around a mile and plenty of homes as far as I can tell.

Sprint doesn't offer lte here, technically Verizon doesn't either but I can get three bars of lte off a Verizon tower around a mile and a half or two away. At least the Verizon coverage map shows lte being available just north of me by the thruway which is around a mile and a half away but didn't factor in my area on their coverage map as being covered by lte. For Sprint, AT&T last I checked their map didn't show lte being near me. There is a much more limited selection of Verizon mvno resellers and an even more limited selection of solely data oriented mvno resellers.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

The NY broadband web site is pretty ugly, have you tried to plug in your address?

Click NHS mapping project -- statewide broadband map -- and plug in your address under the section "Find Broadband Where You Live."

»www.broadbandmap.ny.gov/

That page also has an option to "Report and unserved address." don't know what happens but it can't hurt.

/tom
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
Broadband over Power Lines(BPL) is a disaster. The biggest problem is that it generated enormous amounts of interference with some existing radio frequency uses. The next was that the signal attenuated faster than the theory it was based on said it should. These are some reasons for electric utilities to build out Smart Grid networks using fiber optics to each meter or premises. No radio frequency interference and much longer signal travel.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to tschmidt

to tschmidt
So my choices that shows is Verizon DSL which is actually not available at my address and Verizon needs to fix in their database. Then wireless or satellite, neither of which is suitable for my broadband needs.

lol..

In ten years it hasn't been worth the wait.

Edit: Not sure why TDS doesn't show but their service is available just not in the park.
jbrewno
join:2010-01-21
Port Byron, NY

jbrewno

I think the park is the cutoff. To the south of the park is tds. The park itself and all points north verizon. I say this just because my buddy lives on the rd near the park actually one house past it to the north and he cant get nothing either. Or my father for that matter. I emailed those people in syracuse that were doing the broadband over power lines. That was a couple years ago and they werent interested. The only thing i could see happening some day is maybe cable in the area. Possibly fios but i heard they were done expanding it. If i was in your position id probably just go the millenicom route and not use the net as much lol. Its really a shame.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

When you say south you mean towards turnpike or towards the town of montezuma where the thruway is?

Do they go past the road for the park or stop short? I misunderstood and thought you said they go two houses past the road for the park.

I'm gonna try to get people on board and sign off on a petition. Would be nice to know how close the cutoff for cable, dsl and fios is. I remember back in 2006 and online friend said I should be able to get fios soon because it's not distance limited like dsl and can go farther than anything else being fiber optics. He forgot to account for the greed of service providers and lack of concern or care for providing reliable broadband to anything other than urban mass populated areas.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

It looks like you have about 50 residences in the area around Carner Road that need broadband. Do the petition thing, hold Broadband BBQ picnics to discuss progress, knock on those neighbors doors. See if Accutone Piano Services
7486 Fuller Rd Port Byron, NY 13140 (315) 255-1337 »www.accutonepiano.com is interested in helping.
jbrewno
Port Byron, NY

jbrewno to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
Im pretty sure the service literally to the park than thats it. Dont quote me on it lol. By south i meant towards turnpike north towards zuma lol duh.
jbrewno

jbrewno

Lol i mixed up direction in first post. My bad.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to jbrewno

to jbrewno
Ah gotcha on that. I'll see what I can do, I wonder should I go down turnpike as well or no and other side roads to hit all I can?

Would help if there was a way to find the cutoff point for dsl, cable and fios to see how much work expansion would be. Is there not any information about upcoming deployments for broadband in specific areas?

Ninja edit: Just saw your next reply while I was typing this.
jbrewno
Port Byron, NY

jbrewno

Yeah id do turnpike, fosterville to the south of park, laraway, baldwin, townsend, gable, beach, all them roads.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
The private ISPs rarely give out expansion plans. The traditional telephone and cable companies do not. I have seen USI Fiber do it for Minneapolis MN and Google Fiber does it The public utilities that provide broadband usually do it.