spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

[Help] Burning through tail light bulbs

Our 08 Chevy Malibu Classic LS(3.5L V6) keeps burning tail light bulbs for an unknown reason. It started at around 15k miles and both the left and right tail light bulbs have been changed at least 9 times in the past 2-3 years. A couple under warranty at the dealer and the rest by me. We even got Sylvania Long Life bulbs that did not do any better than regular. The battery in the car has been replaced with a new genuine GM battery(it needed it anyways) and that also has not done anything to help. My question is, would new sockets for both tail lights most likely solve the problem?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

Run lights, brake lights, turn lights?

Loose sockets might be an issue or corroded contacts.

The brake switch can also cause issues especially those that rest their foot on the pedal. It can switch on/off rapidly that is hard on the bulbs.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to billydunwood

to billydunwood
Check the output voltage of the alternator to see if it is in spec.

FuriousG
join:2002-08-21
Kenora, ON

FuriousG to billydunwood

to billydunwood
Are the bulb filaments actually open? Those bulb connector terminals have a bad habit of melting, people replace the bulb and it makes contact long enough for you to drive away.

Pull the bulbs out and check inside. Sometimes it isn't extremely evident that it has burnt, the terminal inside may look twisted off to one side or melted into the socket base not allowing it to spring closed on the bulb.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood to shdesigns

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Run lights, brake lights, turn lights?

Loose sockets might be an issue or corroded contacts.

The brake switch can also cause issues especially those that rest their foot on the pedal. It can switch on/off rapidly that is hard on the bulbs.

It is the turn lights. The sockets don't seem loose to me and I do not see any corroded contacts on the left one. I am going to check the right socket tomorrow
billydunwood

billydunwood to FuriousG

to FuriousG
said by FuriousG:

Are the bulb filaments actually open? Those bulb connector terminals have a bad habit of melting, people replace the bulb and it makes contact long enough for you to drive away.

Pull the bulbs out and check inside. Sometimes it isn't extremely evident that it has burnt, the terminal inside may look twisted off to one side or melted into the socket base not allowing it to spring closed on the bulb.

The bulb itself has some black on the inside/outside and to me that indicates that it is burnt. Is that correct?
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
If it's only the turn lights, is it only the rear ones?

Thinking it could be a defective flasher providing erratic voltage to the bulb. You might have to put it on an oscilloscope to know for sure or just replace the flasher and see.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by bbear2:

If it's only the turn lights, is it only the rear ones?

Thinking it could be a defective flasher providing erratic voltage to the bulb. You might have to put it on an oscilloscope to know for sure or just replace the flasher and see.

Correct, only the rear turn light bulbs

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

said by billydunwood:

Are there separate brake light bulbs?

Babar
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Washington

Babar to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Are you handling the bulbs with your bare fingers while installing?
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood to shdesigns

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

said by billydunwood:

Are there separate brake light bulbs?

I can't say 100% sure but I believe it is a brake light and turn signal in one. Although we have the same 2 in 1 turn/brake light configuration on our Ford and Mercury and have never had to install a new light

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

2 recommendations

aurgathor to billydunwood

to billydunwood
A scope would show what's happening, but most people don't have one. However, you should be able to hook up a voltmeter and you can try look at the voltage while the bulb is blinking -- the readings may not be good, but it's worth a try.

On the other hand, you should be able to measure the alternator's output.

Normally, bulbs burn out because:
a) high voltage
b) high inrush current
c) excessive number of on/off cycles

In an automotive system, you shouldn't have much more than about 14.5V, and a bulb designed for turn signal use shouldn't have much issue with b and c.

I would try to determine the peak voltage seen by the affected bulbs, and go from there.

It's not a true fix, but you can just install a series diode -- that should drop the voltage by about 0.7 - 1.0V, and decrease the inrush current somewhat.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood to Babar

to Babar
said by Babar:

Are you handling the bulbs with your bare fingers while installing?

I have done them bare hands and also wearing gloves.

shdesigns