BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to intok

to intok

Re: Charter Being DDOS'D

said by intok:

You shouldn't used Google anything.

That's the most moronic thing I've ever heard.

I've used google's dns servers since they started offering them. Always speed, never have any problems with them, and unlike most ISP's who can't seem to get DNS right or have multiple issues with it, Google's DNS servers have just worked.

So just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you you should be telling people not to use a product that will solve their issue.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

said by BlakePaulson:

said by intok:

You shouldn't used Google anything.

That's the most moronic thing I've ever heard.

I've used google's dns servers since they started offering them. Always speed, never have any problems with them, and unlike most ISP's who can't seem to get DNS right or have multiple issues with it, Google's DNS servers have just worked.

So just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you you should be telling people not to use a product that will solve their issue.

Yeah, I'm not the moron willing to give a for profit advertising company that almost assuredly has received an NSL for ALL of their customer data. Every bit of information there is to know about your life in a one stop shop of Email, search results, shopping, documents, site's you've visited directly via their DNS, passwords to all the site's you've visited should you have used a Google hosted email address which includes more then just Gmail, your current location and where you've been via an Android device with GPS or a cell network, and so on and so forth.

»i.imgur.com/2lJsBqv.jpg

Expand your moderator at work

Jaybonaut
join:2012-05-29
Sheboygan, WI

Jaybonaut to intok

to intok

Re: Charter Being DDOS'D

Dear god you are paranoid... but then again, maybe you have to be - we don't know what you are doing with your connection.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

said by Jaybonaut:

Dear god you are paranoid... but then again, maybe you have to be - we don't know what you are doing with your connection.

Nope, I'm just not naive as to the potential consequences of giving my information out.

Jaybonaut
join:2012-05-29
Sheboygan, WI

Jaybonaut

said by intok:

Nope, I'm just not naive as to the potential consequences of giving my information out.

Neither are most of us - we just don't announce it and insult others for not copying the behavior you are describing.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

said by Jaybonaut:

Neither are most of us - we just don't announce it and insult others for not copying the behavior you are describing.

You guys came after me for pointing out that using Google services such as their DNS is bad advice.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by intok:

You guys came after me for pointing out that using Google services such as their DNS is bad advice.

Cause that statement is bad advice.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

Only if you're on the Google koolaid, the whole "don’t be evil" shtick went out the window the instant they went public.

Host your own DNS or use a more transparent organization's like OpenDNS. Relying on Google for anything IS bad advice.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by intok:

.. or use a more transparent organization's like OpenDNS.

You can say that with a straight face? Do you not know that OpenDNS is to Google as arsenic is to cyanide?
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

I take it you never used their PAID DNS services?

What's better, a free proxy site or a paid non US based VPN service?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by intok:

I take it you never used their PAID DNS services?

No, sir, I have not. Where did you advise to use their paid DNS service?

For my purpose, my (six-star "has your back") ISP DNS servers work just fine. DNS benchmarks I have run show them (marginally) faster than either Google, or OpenDNS.
bozzy
join:2009-08-25
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy to intok

to intok
said by intok:

Yeah, I'm not the moron willing to give a for profit advertising company that almost assuredly has received an NSL for ALL of their customer data. Every bit of information there is to know about your life in a one stop shop of Email, search results, shopping, documents, site's you've visited directly via their DNS, passwords to all the site's you've visited should you have used a Google hosted email address which includes more then just Gmail, your current location and where you've been via an Android device with GPS or a cell network, and so on and so forth.

»i.imgur.com/2lJsBqv.jpg

You realize this thread is about DNS? I assume you haven't read the Google DNS privacy policy then. While the things you say may be true, it is not true for Google DNS.