uniqs
Turtlesoft
Premium Member
join:2014-08-25
Keller, TX

Turtlesoft to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish

Re: [Networking] Fios Compatible Router than can handle 200+ VMs without crashing

OK, I made these changes, now to add some more machines back to the network to see if it helped
gb5102
join:2003-10-07
Saint Paul, MN

gb5102

In addition to the options posted by others, I would recommend checking out the ZyXEL ZyWALL 110 if you do end up needing something more powerful.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC to Turtlesoft

to Turtlesoft
I myself would go for pFsense, even as another VM on the same exact box you have now. Save on the power/parts cost. Give it 1 core and dedicate some MHZ to it. Make sure you have Intel Pro1000 cards as those are easily recognized by pFsense (Linux).

As for using another machine running an Atom processor. No. It MIGHT handle gigabit traffic at 1500bye+ sized packets, but that is maxing it out. Not sure if anything faster in the Atom processor line has come out in the last year, but they are not that great for lots of small packets, especially when it comes to many many VM's and high traffic. That's why I say to use the Same machine you have with an already great processor.

On a side note, the soft cap for Verizon is around 8TB to 10TB. It was discussed months ago. Its not 2TB because on 2 of my 3 FiOS accounts I do around 4-7TB/month every single month. Remote surveillance recording from one account to the other and the 3rd account is used to watch recordings here and there as well as heavy streaming of everything else. FiOS Rocks!

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm

said by RolteC:

Make sure you have Intel Pro1000 cards as those are easily recognized by pFsense (Linux)

To prevent confusion, pfSense is based on FreeBSD, not Linux. Intel cards are good to go on pfSense but if you have something else, you should check a pfSense or FreeBSD hardware compatibility list.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to themagicone

to themagicone
said by themagicone:

As for your network, just set up a Class B subnet/dhcp - 255.255.252.0.

Class B subnet? That's a classless subnet you used. That is a /22 subnet. No such thing as Class for that.

If class were to apply there, and you actually meant class B, he'd need to have a subnet somewhere between 128.0.0.0 and 191.255.255.255.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to Turtlesoft

to Turtlesoft
Why not use a L3 switch and VLAN off ever few hosts. Its most likely broadcasts bogging the router down. Cisco 3750 10/100 is around 200. If you need gig the HP2848s go for a few hundred.

SW 3000 is overkill I use a TZ215 for an office of 500 users.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to Turtlesoft

to Turtlesoft
It sounds like you don't wanna go through the build process.

I have put a few of these in and they work great
»www.ebay.com/itm/pfSense ··· 90a7fd2c

either 3 or 5 port models.

Or one of these would work for you too.
»www.ebay.com/itm/Pfsense ··· 96053729
Turtlesoft
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Turtlesoft

Premium Member

Thanks, those look interesting, I may have to try one.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to Turtlesoft

Premium Member

to Turtlesoft
+1 for pfSense.
In one location I have a pfSense box running 8 IPSec (4x phase 1+2) tunnels linking 5 locations + ~50 OpenVPN users, 20 onsite users and it's also routing 6 medium duty VM database servers (in Hyper-V 2012).

Lighter traffic than you'll see but it's more diverse and encryption-centric.

The hardware is ~$350 dual-GB shuttle w/ G2030 @3GHz, 4GB, 20GB SSD.
CPU ~5%, RAM ~10%, drive ~30%.

After 5 years of running pfSense, it still rocks.

and
To better serve up your server traffic, I'd be spend some quality time with Layer 7 Traffic Shaping.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Turtlesoft

Premium Member

to Turtlesoft
Well, been over a day is it still running with the DHCP pool increase?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Springbok

Premium Member

to Springbok
Not necessarily. VMWare and Virtualbox can be put into bridged mode, which creates a virtual network interface and pulls an IP directly from the router, reachable from the LAN and can be port forwarded to. Done this many times and find this ideal for testing server software. That would be a fair amount of routing with 200+ VMs as well as connection load. I would second the pfsense box for a budget or a basic Linux distro used as a router. A cheap ARM SoC board can handle a pretty good load using this method. Old x86 hardware, even more. I would go for the ARM SoC just for power use and heat generation, though downclocked x86 hardware can go fanless for quiet operation. I can second the juniper option as those are pretty bulletproof. Just expensive. Pretty bulletproof(I set a few up for clients who are very heavy users at home) as well for the budget minded with very low power consumption »routerboard.com/RB2011Ui ··· -2HnD-IN Only drawback is 2.4GHz only but very high power. You could easily add a 5GHz AP if need be or buy one of their plain boards(some very powerful) or ethernet routers and add your current router in AP mode for WiFi.
Turtlesoft
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Turtlesoft

Premium Member

Well no update yet, as I had made the mentioned changed but had not expanded the network (original problem was alleviated by getting a 2nd fios install, so I split the traffic over 2 networks). However, parts for a new machine will be here this Friday and that machine will push the new network over the limit that the old one was failing at, so I should have a report as to whether the changes helped very soon.
Turtlesoft

Turtlesoft

Premium Member

Finally had everything running for ~ 1 week with 120 vm's and no problems. Today I recloned and started losing connection again though, so I do think it's a limitation with the router and am further looking into a new solution.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

I am going to assume that you did not go the pfSense route and have in turn given yourself more headaches, more networking problems and another bill.
Turtlesoft
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Turtlesoft

Premium Member

no, I simply made the suggested changes to my actiontec and it seemed to work fine for a week, then started giving me issues again. I'm going to buy a pfsense premade unit on ebay today and give it a try I guess.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Weeks a long time compared to 24 hours, so it made big improvement going to to 500 IP Pool, how many VM's are your working with now?

I'm not against you going the pSense route, but the Actiontech is a very powerful router, most don't realize its potential
Turtlesoft
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Turtlesoft

Premium Member

The total # of vm's that was running before the crash was ~130. I reset the router and it seems to be running fine again. But again, I feel like I'm at the very edge of the limits of what the router will handle at this point. I've looked at a really cheap setup on ebay, any thoughts?

»www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-pf ··· 956618c2

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Fun fact:
pfSense is built on FreeBSD which doesn't ship with Bash and isn't vulnerable to the ShellShock bug.

I contrast that to a lot of Cisco, Netgear, etc equipment which runs on Busybox (and inc Bash).

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The Busybox version of bash is not vulnerable, but I'm not really sure what this has to do with the topic anyway? Just a Linux vs BSD comment? Both are great for the OPs purposes.