tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Tikker_LoS

Premium Member

to Tikker_LoS

Re: help - how to bid on eBay and win?

It's just as you mentioned. I'll give you an example of how it's different (though, I think I already did this).

If I want the item for $100 and place this on ebay you can keep bidding until you beat me by 50 cents. In that case I got screwed. If I used a snipe bid of $100 then you'd never know my max bid until it was too late to beat me just by 50 cents. The max someone will pay stays the same but the difference is in using a snipe bid one person cannot screw over another by simply out bidding them by a few cents.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by tcope:

he max someone will pay stays the same but the difference is in using a snipe bid one person cannot screw over another by simply out bidding them by a few cents.

Please explain how being willing to pay more for an item at an auction is screwing someone? Is not the very essence of an auction to find out how much a person is willing to pay for an item?
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by H_T_R_N:

Please explain how being willing to pay more for an item at an auction is screwing someone? Is not the very essence of an auction to find out how much a person is willing to pay for an item?

Outbidding? No. But purposely outbidding someone by 1 cent or 50 cents because you know what they bid? Yes. That person is no longer "bidding the max that they would pay". They are only needing to outbid you by 1 cent because they know _you_ max. _That_ is the difference. With a snipe bid you _hide_ your max bid to the bidding field is level.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS

That doesn't make any sense at all. If you're over my max bid it doesn't matter if it's a few cents or dollars you win. If you put in a wildly huge bid ebay chokes it down to just big enough to win anyways
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I've never disputed that the highest bid wins. That is a fact and it might be easier to understand if you set that aside. The _difference_ is only that snipe bidding eliminates a person's ability to know my highest bid and cap it by 1 cent (or whatever).

Let me explain again but slightly different. You would buy a widget for $100. That is the max you would pay. You bid $100. This now forces the price up to... $40 lets say. You have not increased the selling price to $40. Let's back up prior to that. If I had seen the item at $20 I might put a snipe bid in for $30 just trying to "steal' the item. If you had put a snipe bid in you'd have bought the for $40. Sweet deal. But you used ebay to put in a $100 bid. So now when I bid 40.01 I see it's now enough. I get increasing my bid until I get to $100.01. I'd now win the item by cutting you out by 1 cent. If you wanted the item for $100 would you have bid $100.02 to buy it? Probably. But I screwed you by 1 cent because you used ebay and not a snipe bid. Also, you allowed the price of the item to be artificially inflated by your own bid.

A snipe bid _LEVELS_ the playing filed. It DOES NOT change the fact that the highest bid wins. Let me repeat that as I've said it about 10 times already and get the same response... it _DOES NOT_ mean the highest bidder does not win. It levels the playing field and increases the chances a person will buy an item for a lower price.

It seems that many people who don't think items can be bought for a low amount on ebay don't use a snipe bid. I'm not trying to be insulting. I'm saying that perhaps more people should consider the benefits.

(or perhaps not.. I'll loose my edge )
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

So there is a item you want that starts at $10.00 I believe its value is $100.00 and place that as my max bid. You believe it is worth $40.00 and you snipe bid (whatever the fuck that is) $40.00. I win it because I had a higher max bid. How is that any different than you placing a $40.00 max bid right after I placed mine? Lets say you believe its worth $110.00 and place that as a snipe bid, you win it because you had a higher bid, and you won it by the exact same amount as if you would have placed $110.00 max bid through ebay.
I still do not see a difference. There is no advantage. Its sort of like putting a fart can and a large R on thier can and call it a race car. There is NO advantage.
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned)

said by H_T_R_N:

So there is a item you want that starts at $10.00 I believe its value is $100.00 and place that as my max bid. You believe it is worth $40.00 and you snipe bid (whatever the fuck that is) $40.00. I win it because I had a higher max bid. How is that any different than you placing a $40.00 max bid right after I placed mine? Lets say you believe its worth $110.00 and place that as a snipe bid, you win it because you had a higher bid, and you won it by the exact same amount as if you would have placed $110.00 max bid through ebay.
I still do not see a difference. There is no advantage. Its sort of like putting a fart can and a large R on thier can and call it a race car. There is NO advantage.

The only advantage is when people do incremental bids until they are the winning bid then stop. If you snipe a max bid at the end then the incremental person will get 1 maybe 2 bid attempts in at the end but never win it. Other then that it's no different then anything else.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

So there is a item you want that starts at $10.00 I believe its value is $100.00 and place that as my max bid. You believe it is worth $40.00 and you snipe bid (whatever the fuck that is) $40.00.

I think I've found the disconnect. We are talking about how a snipe bid levels the bidding field and you don't know what a snipe bid is. That could be the problem.
tcope

tcope to 66860111

Premium Member

to 66860111
said by 66860111:

The only advantage is when people do incremental bids until they are the winning bid then stop. If you snipe a max bid at the end then the incremental person will get 1 maybe 2 bid attempts in at the end but never win it. Other then that it's no different then anything else.

Exactly. But I'd not even call it an advantage (as then I see people thinking about it incorrectly). It really just levels the field when bidding. It does also tend to keep the selling price of the item lower as it removes bidders who are willing to big up just enough to beat the current bid. This artificially increases the current price of the item and sends the message that people should bid higher.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to tcope

to tcope
said by tcope:

I think I've found the disconnect. We are talking about how a snipe bid levels the bidding field and you don't know what a snipe bid is. That could be the problem.

Placing a bid at the last minute so to reduce the time someone else has to counter, I get it, its the terminology used I don't get. I still do not see how if I place a bid for $100 and you snipe $40 you or I are a level playing field regardless of when or how you place the bid.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS

what he's saying is that snipe bidding counteracts the 1 guy who bids in increments of 50 cents to find the current max bid

it does't give him the time to do so

what everyone else is trying to point out that he's missing, is that if I bid $100 the first 4 seconds the bid is open, and you snipe bid $95 at the end, i still win

if you snipe bid $110 at the end you win, or if you bid $110 at any point before the end of the auction

all snipe bidding does is move the real auction to the last minute of it, rather than the entire week, or whatever it's open

either way highest bid wins, and snipe bidding doesn't really do anything, but make people think they're being sneaky
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by Tikker_LoS:

what everyone else is trying to point out that he's missing, is that if I bid $100 the first 4 seconds the bid is open, and you snipe bid $95 at the end, i still win

I'm not missing that at all. I've not only never said the highest bid will win, I've said the opposite time and time again. I've pointed out that it's a simple fact... the highest bid will win. This is the part that some people seem to just ignore or think I'm not agreeing with. I'm saying, ignore it as it has nothing to do with what I'm saying.
said by Tikker_LoS:

all snipe bidding does is move the real auction to the last minute of it, rather than the entire week, or whatever it's open
either way highest bid wins, and snipe bidding doesn't really do anything, but make people think they're being sneaky

Not at all. it done as I've mentioned. It can also serve to lower the selling price of an item in some cases as a new viewer sees the bid being very low and may not increase the current bid and/or put in a lower snipe bid. Same result... it hides everyone's best bid.

In real life auctions you typically see two types... one is an open bidding process where each person increases the bid publicly or a silent auction where each person bids and the highest bid wins. In both cases the seller tends win out. Combining ebay's system and a snipe bid makes it a buyer's auction. The buyer's bid is silent but also their top amount may not be needed to win, they only need to pay an increment above the next highest bid.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

as a seller I prefer to use Buy it now immediate payment required

this way I can force them to pay for it without having to wait on payment auctions kinda suck 40-50% of the time it's just a competitor preventing/ delaying the sale of the item.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by Anonymous_:

as a seller I prefer to use Buy it now immediate payment required

Glad to hear that. As a buyer that's how I feel too. I give you the money, you give me the item. No wasted time.