spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

qwerty480

join:2014-08-25
Rutherford, NJ

[Cable] Need recommendation for QAM tuner box for Digital Cable.

I am going to moving next week and the place will have access to digital cable through a coaxial cable. My TV does not have a QAM tuner. Does anyone have any recommendation for a digital converter box that is compatible with QAM256. I would like to have component out (YPBPR) or HDMI out. I would like to keep the price as low as possible. Thanks

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Find an old functioning VCR that meets those requirements for tuners and connections.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
I don't know of any VCR's with a QUAM tuner as they were obsolete long before digital/HD TV. They could record the old analog cable channels but not digital.
--

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
reply to qwerty480

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to qwerty480
I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ485V, and although I no longer have cable, I used it with clear QAM for a few years. Has HDMI out - not sure about component but I could check if needed.

The linked one is listed "for parts" and says the DVD drive doesn't work, but if all you need is a tuner, check with the seller.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMR-E···e5d69925
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

p110011

join:2001-12-29
Oregon City, OR
reply to qwerty480
Tnis one worked well for me, until my local Comcast started scrambling all of their channels.

»www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH260F-···00JV6TQY

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA
said by p110011:

Tnis one worked well for me, until my local Comcast started scrambling all of their channels.

»www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH260F-···00JV6TQY

That is for over the air signals. Its useless for digital cable QAM.

p110011

join:2001-12-29
Oregon City, OR
It does receive clear QAM channels. It was not clear in their advertisements, but in the manual, I copy/pasted: NOTES
%u2022 If your antenna has separate leads for VHF/UHF signals, you will need to purchase a combiner and
connect it as shown in the illustration above.
%u2022 The Set-Top Box can receive DTV signals in the event that a local cable provider is passing 8VSB and
QAM through on their system. (8VSB is the RF modulation format utilized to transmit digital bits over
the airwaves to the home consumer. QAM conveys data by modulating the amplitude of two carrier
waves.)
%u2022 When receiving Digital Cable Signal: If your cable service signal does not comply with the ATSC
requirement, this product may not operate properly

The manual is 28 pages of PDF here: »downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte···book.pdf

Of coarse, this unit is discontinued but can still be found around.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
reply to qwerty480
Keep in mind that lots of Cable systems have upgraded to switched digital video (SDV), in that case you are going to need a STB from the cable provider.

/tom

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

said by tschmidt:

Keep in mind that lots of Cable systems have upgraded to switched digital video (SDV), in that case you are going to need a STB from the cable provider.

/tom

Another thing to keep in mind: A 2012 vote on the FCC board (3 GOP in favor, 2 DEMS against) ruled that cable providers may start to encrypt all channels, effectively requiring you to have a box for every outlet. TWC has already started encrypting in markets like Los Angeles and New York, and at the same time they are removing the analog lineup completely. So you may find that if you buy a QAM tuner now, it may be useless in 1 or 2 years.

If you want to run your own HTPC, you will need something that can accept a CableCard, so that when the time comes and they encrypt everything, all you need to do is order a CableCard from the cable company.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to qwerty480
We use these in distributed systems in buildings. To receive QAM channels

»www.zeevee.com/products/zvsync

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to qwerty480
»www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-GX-SM···32478996

I not sure if this quite does what you need but it does beat having a rented cable box?