dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

anon164327
join:2013-06-25

anon164327

Stainless Steel & Zinc Plated Steel Compatible?

I bought some nerf bars for our toyota and the kit came with stainless steel bolts and zinc plated steel washers.

Also these washers seem to be a custom shape, so replacing them with stainless aren't an option.

Are they compatible with each other?

And what about road salt in the winter?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

They should be fine, all stainless would certainly be preferable but since the washers are custom shaped you really don't have much choice. They may have wanted to avoid all stainless for some reasons but without knowing the complete design criteria I can't be sure.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to anon164327

to anon164327
You could prime and paint the the washers -- that would give you some extra protection and minimize metal-to-metal connection.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to anon164327

MVM

to anon164327
It's probably nothing more than a money-saving thing, believe it or not. SS nuts and bolts are good because they can get "stuck" together. The washer(s) could rust and not make it difficult to remove. Also, since they're "special" design, all the more reason to save money by using a less-expensive material.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to anon164327

Anon

to anon164327
Unless you have a Delorean, you're going to have some contact with non-stainless anyway. I'd be more concerned with salt getting into the holes drilled into the underside of the vehicle.

phowash
@68.63.161.x

phowash to anon164327

Anon

to anon164327
yes, different metals can corrode each other galvanically.

but also the galvanized (zinc plated) washers eventually can rust, and that rust can start rust on the stainless steel too.
especially if you are near salt water.

small problem, in the future.

----------------------
possibly you could show photo the custom washers?

perhaps you can duplicate the zinc special ones with regular stainless washers and plastic spacers etc etc.
or have the special washers duplicated in stainless.

anon164327

anon164327

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll probably use a grinder to shape the stainless washers so they fit like the originals.

But it might take a while since there's 24 washers!

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to anon164327

Premium Member

to anon164327
can't you just source stainless washers that will work from Fastenal or a similar supplier? grainger may have something that will work too.

....and just because they are "special shape" doesn't mean a regular stainless lock washer or maybe even a nylock stainless nut with a stainless flat washer won't work. what's so special about the shape anyway?

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to anon164327

to anon164327
»www.vmzinc-us.com/zinc-b ··· ies.html

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to anon164327

to anon164327
said by anon164327:

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll probably use a grinder to shape the stainless washers so they fit like the originals.

But it might take a while since there's 24 washers!

I wouldn't waste that much time on it, at least not initially. You can put in the washers as-is, or after painting, and then replace them once they start to rust.

BTW, are they galvanized or hot dipped?

anon164327

anon164327

All the washers kind of look like this and the notch fits on the brackets, it's hard to explain.

On second thought, I think I'll just use the zinc ones but give them a few thick coats of spray paint.

After the paint dries I could also glob some vaseline on the washers before tightening.