·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

PS3 issues with gaming/freezes?

Recently, I got a copy of Final Fantasy 14: ARR

Since day one, I've had issues with major screen flickering, a lot like this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdF1BJMJKc
though it's more severe and the screen blacks out, yet the map and other icons are clear as a bell. Sometimes when the flickering gets really bad, the system will often freeze and do that double beep thing.

Other games that I've tried have have experienced similar graphic glitches and freezes, but nowhere near as bad graphics wise, may still freeze or take a while to load.

On the other hand Blu-Ray movies, Netflix, Hulu, all that works fine and flawless.

Could the HDD I have in this thing be dying? Or is it something worse? I've already done diag about corrupted file system and repair, to no avail.

This is a FAT PS3 with the 80GB HDD in it in. Bought in 2008.

Anybody got any ideas before I start spending?

journeysquid

join:2014-08-01

Seems much more video hardware-related than hard drive. Have you tried giving the PS3 a thorough cleaning? Could be heat.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to Chris 313

I was having that same issue before. Turned out it was my HDMI cable. Replaced it with a brand new, and better quality one, and never had those issues again.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by Alpha Phoenix:

I was having that same issue before. Turned out it was my HDMI cable. Replaced it with a brand new, and better quality one, and never had those issues again.

I've already thought of that. I swapped out the cable with the one from my 360 and no difference.

As for my original replier, it's not a heat thing either. It's out in the open and can vent however it likes, when on for hours, it's barely warm, even cold in spots. I also dust it regularly. The vents are clean.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to Chris 313

Seems like its coming to the end of its life cycle. Mine OD'd last week. Started off the same way. Lockups, freezes flickering. Then last week shut off. Tried everything but its no use fixing. I never ran it hard. Only used it as an Entertainment Center. The PS4 is bloody useless in that regard.