share rss forum feed

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

Rogers, Shaw poised to launch Netflix-like video streaming service

»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···0202237/

So will it be available to cord cutters like Netflix? If it isn't, I'd hardly call it "Netflix-like"
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Expect turd-like results, and expect them to give preference to their own service whilst throttling netflix...

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
reply to HeadSpinning

Only 9.99 a month as part of a triple play bundle. After 3 months it jumps to 49.99.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to HeadSpinning

Shaw and Roger's doing business together?

I'll file this under "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend" and wait to see what comes...

There's at least one other Canadian TV provider working on an "Over the Top" product... And early demo's are pretty awesome.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to BGB

said by BGB:

Only 9.99 a month as part of a triple play bundle. After 3 months it jumps to 49.99.

Is that fact or just speculation?
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to HeadSpinning

I can assure you that Bell was in this group and decided to drop out. It was several months ago that they did this.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to BGB

Don't forget all the CANCON they have to run on it.
Expect to see re-runs of Concentration, Starlost, Trailer park boys and a host of other crap that passes for CanCon
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

It's too bad about The Starlost. The concept created by Harlan Ellison was very good, but its implementation was completely butchered by the blatantly incompetent Canadian production team.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Yes, the concept was great, but it was sooo cheaply done, even though was 30yrs ago, the SFX were just the shits even then,
--

Soiduts

join:2002-04-02
Ontario
reply to HeadSpinning

So about those monthly bandwidth caps Rogers and Shaw...

Trentelshark

join:2002-12-11
London, ON
kudos:1

Wonder if they'll pull something that using that service doesn't count against the monthly bandwidth cap since its only available to existing Rogers/Shaw customers?

I'd say I'm not missing out on much.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

They can't so that "net neutrality" bell already stopped offering tv to their customers for free.
--

Trentelshark

join:2002-12-11
London, ON
kudos:1

Oh right, forgot about that.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to HeadSpinning

»www.engadget.com/2014/08/26/shomi/

quote:
The service will initially work on mobile devices, the web, Xbox 360 consoles and cable set-top boxes when its public beta test launches in the first week of November. Naturally (if unfortunately), Rogers and Shaw customers will have first crack. The pricing is definitely competitive at $9 Canadian per month, although you may not want to chuck any existing subscriptions just yet. While Shomi will have 340 TV series and a strong dose of Canadian content (30 percent), it has just 1,200 "cult-classic and fan-favourite" movies -- if you want to watch a recent blockbuster, you're probably better off sticking with Netflix for now.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

There's at least one other Canadian TV provider working on an "Over the Top" product... And early demo's are pretty awesome.

Who's that?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

said by BGB:

Is that fact or just speculation?

That was a joke. I think it was something like 9 bucks but you need to have some sort of service like TV or Internet with Rogers or Shaw.

hw

@198.84.207.x
reply to HeadSpinning

When I read an article about this it mentioned 11,000 hours of programming, which my brain misinterpreted as 11,000 titles. Compare this to Netflix which has over 30,000 titles. One title can equal dozens or hundreds of episodes of a TV program.

hosedagain3

join:2008-02-18
Sharon, ON
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Shaw and Roger's doing business together?

I'll file this under "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend" and wait to see what comes...

From a U.S. site, from March 2014
»money.cnn.com/2014/03/07/technol···dex.html

CanadianISP
Premium
join:2008-04-09
Pembroke, ON
reply to HeadSpinning

Kind of silly, especially if they're limiting only to pre-existing customers of other services.
I recently purchased an LG smart TV which had a Rogers app pre-installed on it - Of course, there's nothing in it, since I use neither cable or satellite; It seems to me that there are some very, very dense and very, very slow people making up the Rogers marketing department if their online content is only going to be made available to those who can already get same said content via cable (or a poorer subset thereof: Whoopedy do)
--
Marc Bissonnette
Chief BOFH
»www.canadianisp.com

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Exactly, what exactly is the point in creating a "competitor" to your distribution offerings if if only your customers can use it?

DOH
--

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to CanadianISP

I'm wondering if it's a restriction put in the content rights agreement by the content owners. If Rogers could have made a buck by opening up its service to anyone don't you think they would have done that by now?
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

CanadianISP
Premium
Pembroke, ON

Never give too much credit to large bureaucracies: I'd be willing to bet that they honestly think that by offering this "feature", it'll attract more people to their cable offerings.

Given their reach and financial clout, I'm sure they could have easily negotiated Internet broadcast rights when acquiring content.

for the beta

@209.87.227.x
reply to CanadianISP

said by CanadianISP:

Kind of silly, especially if they're limiting only to pre-existing customers of other services.

All the wording so far indicates that is the case to start the beta test, which makes some sense - eliminate another ISP's network from the early troubleshooting equations.

There's nothing to indicate it will stay that way come full launch, and in fact there are quotes that indicate it isn't intended to stay that way for the entire course of the beta.

CanadianISP
Premium
Pembroke, ON

Well, that would be intelligent, if they opened it to the great unwashed hordes - I mean, really: They'd *have* to rub their hands in glee at the thought of a Bell Expressvu customer using their bandwidth to get Rogers paid streaming content