Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

They should offer as standalone product

They should be required to offer DirecTV as a standalone product and not force bundling.

DirecTV is a viable competitor to Comcast. Dish is also an option but they don't carry the local ABC or Fox stations in our area. I currently bundle DirecTV with Verizon Home Phone and I hope that remains an option.

They should be required to allow customers to self install as well.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

1 recommendation

78036364 (banned)

said by IowaCowboy:

They should be required to offer DirecTV as a standalone product and not force bundling.

Since half the people with DirecTv live in areas where DSL/U-verse internet is not available I'm curious as to how bundling can be forced? At&t doesn't force bundling now. Hell you can get DSL without phone and it's been that way for YEARS.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
they should down play U-Verse and move subs over to DirecTV that have LOS and maybe have U-Verse as rain fade backup / for people who don't have good LOS.

U-Verse can use the TV bandwidth for faster internet also fiber to home areas can use better TV bit rates.
98778011 (banned)
join:2014-08-24
Charlotte, NC

98778011 (banned) to 78036364

to 78036364
They can only bundle the services with AT&T in the AT&T regions. IowaCowboy has no clue how it would work in a non-AT&T region.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364
They're talking about some broadband product that hasn't been launched yet. I'm happy now with Comcast for internet, DirecTV for TV and Verizon for home phone (Verizon home phone and DirecTV are currently bundled). I refuse to buy triple plays.

I would like an alternative to Comcast though. Competition is good.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
They aren't about to force bundling, unlike Google.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Holy crap, without bundling your bills must be enormous!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The Comcast channel offerings around here aren't that great and you have to buy the sports entertainment package to get two channels we watch (Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel) which adds $8 to your bill. And they charge like $10 for HD, $10 for DVR, $10 for whole house, $10 per additional TV, so in reality DirecTV is Cheaper. Comcast in our area is kind of a Bait and Switch game and if state law applied to cable companies Bait and Switch is illegal in Mass. DirecTV has lower programming costs, more channels, up front pricing, and additional TVs are only $6.

I don't care for the above mentioned channels but must haves for Mom and Grandma.

I'm waiting for the alarm company to call me back so I can weigh the costs of ditching the home phone. If it's going to cost $500 to go wireless than the payback period might not be worth it because I don't know if I'll be here in 5 years.

Right now my plans are to work on my CDL and get a job driving buses (hopefully local transit buses with working A/C, been on buses many times with broken A/C as a passenger and it's not fun).
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Except with Comcast, you can bundle TV and internet, and you can own your own equipment. You could use Comcast Digital Voice, which is basically $20/mo in a bundle, but likely much cheaper since you wouldn't have to pay the unbundling surcharge anymore on the internet...