spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Blaine B
join:2004-07-11
Indiana

Blaine B

[Connectivity] Craigslist times out immediately after switching to Comcast

As soon as I switched to Comcast, I immediately started having nightmarish issues when attempting to access Craigslist. And it would seem that my problems only exist around accessing Craigslist. I have no issues with any other website.

Craigslist constantly gives me "timed out" errors. I constantly have to refresh and refresh and refresh for a page to load, or to be able to post an ad, or to renew an existing ad. Even then, it will "time out" more than half the time. I have to keep refreshing and refreshing and clicking and clicking to be able to navigate Craigslist. And this all started immediately after switching from AT&T/SBC DSL.

The only other difference is that I was hard-wired to AT&T/SBC DSL. Due to my cable line being located in a different part of the house, I had to add a wireless-G card to my desktop computer in order to be able to access the internet.

However, if that was to blame - I thought I would have had difficulty with other websites as well. As of right now, it seems to be Craigslist that is the only website that is giving me problems.

Does any of this make any sense? If I use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, I still have this issue with Craigslist, and Craigslist alone.

Thanks.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

1 edit

what the

Re: Craigslist times out immediately after switching to Comcast

Funny I have sort of the same problem (mine loads) with the New York Daily News than it shut down half way through the page.
Hopefully someone may know what's up with both our problems.

Yes, I googled the problem but nothing has worked yet!
Blaine B
Indiana

Blaine B

Are you wired, or wireless? I had other people with Comcast check it out and it works for them just fine.

But one again I don't understand how myself running wireless would change anything versus directly wired.

I did purchase my own modem, which arrived today...after work I will be replacing my Technicolor gateway that I was renting from Comcast. I will see if it makes a difference, but I doubt it.
Blaine B

Blaine B to what the

to what the
Strange thing is, after replacing the Technicolor gateway with my Zoom modem, I have not had one problem accessing Craigslist.

I am using the same stand-alone router I was using previously, with the same settings.

Strange!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Blaine B:

Strange thing is, after replacing the Technicolor gateway with my Zoom modem, I have not had one problem accessing Craigslist.

I am using the same stand-alone router I was using previously, with the same settings.

Strange!

Comcast's gateways are unreliable and unpredictable. My guess is that your router was being given the IP address of the gateway for its DHCP assigned DNS servers, and ISP gateway boxes in general (not just Comcast's) are notorious for being poor DNS relays. Even if you had Comcast put the gateway into bridge mode, I know of cases where Comcast's definition of bridge mode was different than the generally accepted definition of bridge mode.
Blaine B
Indiana

Blaine B

I had actually attempted to have Comcast put my gateway into bridge mode the day my self install kit arrived.

When they put it into bridge mode, I could get NO internet connection what-so-ever.

So I had them switch it back. I still used a stand-alone router just as I am right now.

Isn't it odd that it was only affecting Craigslist? I didn't have any other problems!
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to Blaine B

to Blaine B

Re: [Connectivity] Craigslist times out immediately after switching to Comcast

I don't know anything about Comcast and have no axe to grind. They're not in business around here. But it's funny that last night when I was doing some speed tests Comcast became noteworthy to me. My tests were quite consistent using different servers, except one US server stood out - Comcast. It showed about half the speed of all the others. I know these figures are often not very reliable and I don't put much store in them. I only mention this because I think it indicates that something in their configuration is different from what others do.
Blaine B
Indiana

Blaine B

Odd. Normally when I test on their Chicago server (not far from me) the speeds are pretty high. Distance may play a factor.

How far is the server located from your home?
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

I'm in Canada, a couple hundred miles from Seattle and I was using Seattle servers. Yes, I thought it was odd too.
Blaine B
Indiana

Blaine B

Yesterday, Craigslist did time out on me one time. Just once though.

Later on in the night my wireless keep coming in and out. I had to unplug my router momentairily. That never happened before ever, throughout the years I have used it.

A lot of "strange" things lately since I have switched to Comcast. The speed increase is quite nice. From 1.25 mb/down with DSL to 28 mb/down (16 mb/down with wireless-G) with Comcast's Performance Package.

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

mb6 to Blaine B

to Blaine B
a Net Neutrality peering/transit issue maybe? You know how those things are going... You'd be amazed how my Netflix video quality improved after Netflix began greasing Comcast...
Blaine B
Indiana

Blaine B

I have no idea. Never had any problems when on Craigslist through two different Comcast Business connections.