uniqs

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to Lets Go

to Lets Go

Re: $15 a month

said by Lets Go:

Don't forget about the $15 monthly service fee. Also no lifetime offered so you pay the $15 a month as long as you use the unit.

Thats what I've been seeing too, that no lifetime will be offered on this box. If they would lower the monthly price to around $6.95 a month it would make it more appealing, but with the monthly of $15 a month for as long as you use it, you might as well just get the base Roamio that can be used with OTA or cable, and can be lifetimed at purchase, or later on at some point.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well this is essentially a $200 roamio for $50. They need to make up that extra $150 somehow. In any case you buy it and then throw it out in 2 years when something better comes along. This is a 1 year commitment. Do you think Tivo wont make you a deal after the 1 year?

I looked at Tablo which is $300 with a drive and they charge $5 a month for service., so after 1 year we are looking at $360. After 1 year of tivo $210. And that is all you have to commit to. For my rents, Time warner wants $19 a month just for broadcast, plus you need boxes at $8 each. Compare that!

I know Tivo will be around, but Tablo or the death torch simple.tv?

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

This is why I use Windows Media Center and a Ceton 6 tuner card. I dont care what Tivo has to make up, thats not my problem. I have 6 unsubscribed Tivo's sitting here now that are worthless, that Tivo wont make me a deal on, so sit in the closet floor they will. Some people will argue that WMC is no longer being developed, but it still works for me and many others.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

Well this is essentially a $200 roamio for $50. They need to make up that extra $150 somehow. In any case you buy it and then throw it out in 2 years when something better comes along. This is a 1 year commitment. Do you think Tivo wont make you a deal after the 1 year?

I looked at Tablo which is $300 with a drive and they charge $5 a month for service., so after 1 year we are looking at $360. After 1 year of tivo $210. And that is all you have to commit to. For my rents, Time warner wants $19 a month just for broadcast, plus you need boxes at $8 each. Compare that!

I know Tivo will be around, but Tablo or the death torch simple.tv?

I still remember when companies sold VCRs and didn't charge me a monthly fee to use them to record. That's all this essentially is a - a VCR with a hard drive. I want to smack every single person who embraced the concept of giving these companies monthly fees for something we used to buy and use without interference from them. Look at some of the options offered overseas. We're getting screwed, and people are smiling as they bend over and take it.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

Your clueless if you think it's only a glorified vcr. TiVo is capable of so much more! Can your vcr stream Netflix, Hulu, YouTube video; NO. Can your VCR download PodCast; NO! Does your VCR know you like something and automatically get it for you when it's on; NO.

What's the recording capacity of that tape? How many separate channels can your VCR record simultaneously, oh is that all....
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Yes it is more robust, but many things you mentioned come on smart tv's and blu ray players.

Regardless, $15 a month for a guide (which is the main reason you are paying) is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

said by Skippy25:

Yes it is more robust, but many things you mentioned come on smart tv's and blu ray players.

Regardless, $15 a month for a guide (which is the main reason you are paying) is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

If it is the only TiVo perhaps, I have two already (Both Premieres/lifetime) currently both are OTA Only. If I needed another OTA Only it might be something I could consider, remembering it's much easier to replace/expand the HD in a Roamio than a Premiere. Expandability to 3TB simply by replacing the drive with a WD AV drive.

That said I'm more likely to add a Roamio Basic, put a 3TB drive in it and have one cable card/tuning adapter keeping my Premieres OTA (8 tuners - 4OTA/4Cable