uniqs
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan

Premium Member

Any offline alternatives?

Anybody know of ones that are completely offline? Ones that let you record from any source (not even necessarily including HDMI, Component would be good enough quality, since I know all of the issues with HDCP) and watch it either on the device or, as an added bonus, any device within the Local Area Network.

We have an old DVD-DVR that I've considered dusting off. It records to either rewriteable or write-once DVDs. It served us well many years ago, and the DVDs that it records are not DRM'ed, so they can be easily ripped. I believe it only has SVideo and Composite Cables for input, and there's no network connectivity.

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

I have a home PC that doubles as a DVR. I bought a hauppauge TV tuner, and it records OTA HD. No problems serving those recordings to my blu-rays or FireTV's.

Windows media center is what I use to schedule the recordings.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to AmericanMan

Premium Member

to AmericanMan
said by AmericanMan:

Anybody know of ones that are completely offline? Ones that let you record from any source (not even necessarily including HDMI, Component would be good enough quality, since I know all of the issues with HDCP) and watch it either on the device or, as an added bonus, any device within the Local Area Network.

We have an old DVD-DVR that I've considered dusting off. It records to either rewriteable or write-once DVDs. It served us well many years ago, and the DVDs that it records are not DRM'ed, so they can be easily ripped. I believe it only has SVideo and Composite Cables for input, and there's no network connectivity.

I've got a bunch gathering dust at home. I still use one to put shows on disc for my GF. But I can also transfer the content from a TiVo to my PC and burn to DVD or BD too. But either way the standalone DVD players are crap. In the early 2000's ,when I first started using them, they were a good option to carry content to my GFs house. But I wouldn't use them for my person use. I would burn to BD for my personal use or what is easier is just putting my content on a hard drive for viewing from a media player.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
united state

AmericanMan to davidc502

Premium Member

to davidc502
Thanks! I remember hearing about Hauppauge years ago when I was looking into this before, and that they were a solid brand.
AmericanMan

AmericanMan to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
Thanks! Yeah DVDs are great for portability, but I guess if you're just going to keep archives for yourselves, using a hard disk (or blu-ray) is much better.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to AmericanMan

Premium Member

to AmericanMan
said by AmericanMan:

Anybody know of ones that are completely offline?

You might find what you are looking for here: Hauppauge. I use the Broadway unit.

AmericanMan
Premium Member
united state

AmericanMan

Premium Member

Hey thanks! Wow those are more affordable than I would've thought....