spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PacWe097
@174.21.164.x

PacWe097

Anon

No More Paywalls/Opportunity for Smart TVs

I don't miss cable but what Tivo and or Microsoft and some others don't wholly understand is that consumers are tired of the pay walls.
XBox, LG Smart TVs, et have paywalls, you pay for the right to use the app on their device, that app connects you to the subscription content you already pay for. There's no value add to the consumer just a paywall to get to content we already pay license to view and are not charged to use on most other devices.
Tivo is doing something similar here, a paywall to access the content that comes free over the air.

Seems like an opportunity for Smart TV manufacturers to build in this DVR type functionality for OTA signals directly into the television/monitor. Doesn't need to be fancy or force ads or even use subscription services, just need a very light UI with input the time and channel(s) and for playback. SSD hard drives are so tiny these days they would easily fit in for prolonged storage.

I'm lucky my quad UHF antenna picks up all the local stations and with digital signals PBS has multiple OTA channels to choose from - Can't miss my masterpiece mysteries..

Wouldn't buy this or any device that puts up paywalls.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by PacWe097 :

XBox, LG Smart TVs, et have paywalls, you pay for the right to use the app on their device, that app connects you to the subscription content you already pay for.

XBOX removed the Gold requirement for everything but online gaming back in June.