Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

Anybody else get a TuneUp litigation email?

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS

If you are a United States resident and on or before March 31, 2014 purchased TuneUp Utilities 2010, TuneUp Utilities 2011, TuneUp Utilities 2012, or TuneUp Utilities 2013 from tune-up.com, avg.com, or an authorized reseller, you are a part of a class action settlement.

»eclaim.kccllc.net/caclaimforms/tuh/docs.aspx

»eclaim.kccllc.net/caclaimforms/t···aint.pdf

Anybody else see this?

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

Yep, like I keep my receipts for expired software.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

VB

@99.100.232.x
reply to Kiwi

yeah I'm seeing the same thing. Don't know if it's legit or not. I'm not quite sue if it's from the same sender though. If it's not then this is probably another one of those shitty-ass scams.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

VB exactly what I think and I got the same email. I am going to ignore it.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
reply to Kiwi

I got the same email here. Not sure what to make of it.

what the

join:2014-06-28
usa

1 edit
reply to Kiwi

If they don't want your personal info I'd say it's legit.
I have received emails for class act suits notices in emails and never did anything and have received (3) checks in the mail from different cases.
1) Classmates.com
2) Diamond Class Action Suit because De Beers overcharged for diamonds. (here I did send them my address and phone # but nothing they can't find in the phonebook)
3) Washington Mutual, something about mortgages (can't remember now).

steve1a
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA
reply to Kiwi

I have received 4 emails since I have bought in to the discounted yearly updates I have purchased all four versions named in the litigation.

Not sure I want to respond either.
I have kept the emails licenses & registrations for all of them.
From what I'm reading it looks like it might reap $20 for each version ???

With the AVG take over I also just received the annual discount for the new (2014) version. This however will now put TuneUp into a yearly subscription basis... (guess that not really different than paying for the discounted updates)

However me thinks it's time to pass -
TuneUp has gotten more and more bloated and with the stability of newer OS's , CC Cleaner , and regular routine maintenance it is rather redundant.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to Kiwi

"alleging that it did not perform certain functions as advertised"

Imagine that.

Snake oil

what the

usa
reply to steve1a

said by steve1a:

Is that before or after the lawyers take their share? )

what the

usa

Oh almost forgot it's been so long I got a check from the RICC for $12 was about over charging for CDs (like that was a surprise)

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to what the

said by what the:

said by steve1a:

Is that before or after the lawyers take their share? )

I received $13.00 of the $75.00 I was suppose to get in a Briggs and Stratton class action lawsuit. The lawyers involved said they had no idea there would be so many parties involved. Which is an outright lie or incompetence? Either way they stole money rightly owed to litigants.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings, Stop Overfishing

Kiwi
Premium
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to Kiwi

Probably legitimate, however I probably won't bother. I bought two and 2010 was the last because the 2013 version was crossed with the key and ended up in German, just got that refunded. No doubt there were "Complaints," 2010 only had a few functional components, but just enough to make it worth it. On the whole TuneUp utilized Windows features to do some enhancements, aside that and some candy items it was border line for the 'Special' price paid $19.99.

As an example the registry cleaner only removes blank spaces, one would anticipate removal of orphaned files. So I was forced to go through deleting them manually after realizing that, which is a good part of why I got it in the first place, to avoid the manual work through layered registry files.

Nothing has matched the first three distributions when the Canadian company Norton had a similar utility, after the company sold it, it was all downhill and no company out there has matched it since.

Anyway, solved the mystery and appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
reply to Kiwi

so, what is the lawsuit about?

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Kiwi

Tune Up Utilities was junk but the only thing I missed and I still can't find a cheap or free alternative is that the registry editor on tune up was great compared to the cruddy dated one that comes with windows.

Kiwi
Premium
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to redwolfe_98

Basically this extract:

"...restores perfect order to your hard drive while speeding up file access, boot times, and program launches and,
"Your PC is getting slower and slower, startup time takes ages and your hard disk is chock-full of unnecessary files%u2026Our maintenance features eliminate system-hogging data clutter and prevents the typical 'Windows slowdown' effect."

17. Defendant then suggests that TuneUp Utilities detects and fixes the errors that cause the problems listed above. For example, Defendant asserts through its website that TuneUp
Utilities is designed to:

"fix, speed up and maintain your PC with ease!";
"get your PC in top shape!";
"optimize your system";
"make" sure your PC becomes cleaner and faster than ever before"; and,
"fix" registry problems more effectively."

18. The cumulative effect of Defendant's representations regarding the software's functionality is that average consumers, seeking a solution to fix their malfunctioning computers, will understandably believe that TuneUp Utilities detects and removes harmful errors that lead to the computer problems described by Defendant in its marketing materials above (e.g., problems causing error messages, system delays, and slow startup times).

19. In reality, Defendant designed TuneUp Utilities the free trial version and the full registered version deceptively convince users that purchase and continued use of the software is necessary."...

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11

thanks kiwi

the argument against "tuneup utilities" seems like BS, to me, which is what i had figured that it was..

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

You think crap like that ....ANY registry cleaner....actually works? All of them are garbage and I am surprised you would fall for such crap.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

I am VERRRRRY careful what I let so-called 'FREE' programs do to my computers !

After considerable research about them, MAYbe.

So that app never bothered me, one way or the other.