Search similar:

uniqs
The Saguaro
join:2002-05-18
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

The Saguaro

Updated Speed Incease Rollout Schedule

Here are the latest updates (noted with **). Minor editing on names was done also. Of course, these may be subject to unforeseen issues, etc.

Here is the latest speed increase schedule. Of course, it is subject to change.

Omaha 7/10/2014 (implemented)
Sun Valley 7/10/2014 (implemented)
Kansas/Arkansas 7/1712014 (implemented)
Arizona 7/21/2014 (implemented)
Las Vegas 7/29/2014 (implemented)
Oklahoma City 8/15/2014 (implemented)
Tulsa 8/15/2014 (implemented)
===================================
Roanoke 9/3/2014
** Northern Virginia 9/9/2014
New Orleans 9/23/2014
Greater Louisiana 9/24/2014
** Gainesville/Pensacola/Ocala 9/25/2014
Other Gulf Coast 9/25/2014
Middle Georgia (Macon) 9/25/2014
** Hampton Roads September 30 - October 1
Cleveland 10/14/2014
Connecticut 10/14/2014
Rhode Island 10/14/2014
San Diego 10/21/2014
Santa Barbara 10/21/2014
Orange County 10/28/2014
Palos Verdes 10/28/2014

Enjoy!

BTW, it appears that with the increase in speed, Powerboost is history.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Power Boost was a way to get people to quit hitting browser refresh by delivering some view-able content quickly. It made sense in the DOCSIS 2.0 single channel modem days.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to The Saguaro

to The Saguaro
I still have power boost in Vegas on Premier tier.

Burrito
@70.181.132.x

Burrito to The Saguaro

Anon

to The Saguaro
Why are all the California markets last? Wtf, Cox.
The Saguaro
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro to Beezel

to Beezel
Enjoy it while it lasts.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Burrito

Premium Member

to Burrito
Think of it this way. Cox is using all the other regions as proving grounds for the transition. By the time they get to the California region most of the bugs in deploying the upgrade should have been mitigated or eliminated. You should get a much smoother transition than the other areas.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to Burrito

Premium Member

to Burrito
I thought of another possible reason. All those going from Preferred at 25Mbps to 50Mbps. Lots of need for dealing with subscribers who need to get new DOCSIS 3.0 modems. Maybe the California market has more modem renters than other markets. That would mean a large number of modem exchanges and technician visits compared to other markets.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to The Saguaro

Premium Member

to The Saguaro
good riddance to powerboost!
dvd536

dvd536 to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
actually PB was a way to artificially poison test results.
i miss my permaboost.
dvd536

dvd536 to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
i didnt think cox was renting modems anymore as they're commodiy priced now.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
Yes, PB could do that, but remember that the slowest part of content delivery is at the very start and the very end of the overall process. People would get frustrated while waiting for a webpage to load and unnecessarily click the link to content repeatedly, thus restarting the entire content fetch process over. PB could help reduce that frustration and thus the number of unnecessary repeat clicks on a link or webpage refreshes.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
I have a friend who has a rental modem from Cox. Like many she started out many years ago with a Motorola DOCSIS 2.0 modem and the lowest internet plan. Over the years she has upgraded her speeds, but technically never needed more than a D2 modem to have those increased service levels. She just assumed that like the cable boxes, and then the DVRs, modems were to be rented from the cable company. With the upcoming doubling of Preferred from 25 to 50 I told her to buy a Arris/Motorola 6141. She protested and wanted to have Cox give her a new D3 modem. I said that Cox was mainly supplying Cisco gateways to rental customers and that her carefully setup network using a Linksys WiFi router would have to be redone. By ending the rental of the D2 modem, and putting the new purchased Motorola D3 in place, there would be no need to rebuild the LAN. She would also save money in the long run. There are many longtime Cox customers in central Georgia who have been renting those D2 modems. When Preferred, the most popular plan, goes from 25 to 50 it will be interesting to see who switches to owning and who keeps renting. It will also be interesting to see what D3 devices Cox supplies to its renters who continue renting.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

is the friend still charge a rental fee?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I do not know if she bought the modem I suggested. She hates to be pestered about computer related stuff when she is busy with other things, like her son with the new driver license smashing up the side of her car and his own lemon of a Volkswagon burning oil like crazy. I plan to ask her around the time of the upgrade, if her world has settled down some, about the modem.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz to The Saguaro

to The Saguaro
said by The Saguaro:

BTW, it appears that with the increase in speed, Powerboost is history.

[Citation Needed]?

Cox is still listing PowerBoost speeds in the Arkansas market and I've not heard anywhere about it going away. Speed tests confirm I still have it.

»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/poli ··· sage.cox

That said, at 50+mbps speeds, it really isn't all that big a deal anyway.
DarkFlow
join:2011-09-04
Lakeside, CA
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AX58

DarkFlow to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

Think of it this way. Cox is using all the other regions as proving grounds for the transition. By the time they get to the California region most of the bugs in deploying the upgrade should have been mitigated or eliminated. You should get a much smoother transition than the other areas.

That's bullshit. Cali still only goes up to 100 on Ultimate, So I'm going to hope they find a way to add on that missing 50 after a year.
The Saguaro
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro

What we have been told is that when an area gets upgraded to the new speeds, those areas that still have Ultimate at 100 will be upgraded to 150.
ak3883
join:2005-08-20
Marlton, NJ

ak3883 to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
I have Cox preferred HSI up in Rhode Island, and went to our local Cox "store"(a desk inside a local A/V store, very nice employees) and asked about this very situation as it applies to me, I have a D2 modem that Cox rented to me when I signed up for service in 2011, no extra charge. I was told that they don't rent out modems anymore(for non voice customers) and if I wanted to get the speed increase id need to get my own D3 modem. Cox has no plans or ability to rent me a D3 modem for Internet only. Of course they will sell you one, but you can find cheaper at amazon I'm sure
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Maybe each market or region is allowed to determine rental operations for modems and gateways. I think eventually Cox will stop renting any modems or gateways, even for voice, you will have to buy it somehow. After all, these services are supposed to based on universal standards for equipment. So you should be able to go to any store and buy off the shelf and have it work.

overpriced
@24.250.167.x

1 recommendation

overpriced to The Saguaro

Anon

to The Saguaro
Remember this also means price increases in a few months.

They do this every year, speed increase, price increase.
The Saguaro
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro to ak3883

to ak3883
Just go online and chat and we can fix you up!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to ak3883

Premium Member

to ak3883
I checked and the Macon market is still in modem rental mode. We shall see if that changes as 2015 approaches.

sniperboyz
join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA

sniperboyz to The Saguaro

to The Saguaro
Not again. Hampton Roads were supposed to be 9/3/2014 but it moved to 9/30/2014 to 10/1/2014. SMH

COXNoke
@98.163.6.x

COXNoke

Anon

I seriously doubt if Roanoke Va COX will get the new speeds before larger areas of the state like Hampton Roads and such. It will surprise me if it does happen on Sept 3rd I was thinking maybe mid to late Sept.

JeffinKenner
@72.200.24.x

JeffinKenner to The Saguaro

Anon

to The Saguaro
New Orleans 9/23/2014
Greater Louisiana 9/24/2014

That's great news. Just in time for the new game releases.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to The Saguaro

to The Saguaro
said by The Saguaro:

Rhode Island 10/14/2014

With so much Verizon pressure, wonder why RI and New England is so late to the party? Cox more scared of the Google and/or local fiber comp?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Cox is a very profitable company for the stockholders, owners, and top executives. When you have a comfortable lead, you have no reason to panic and react solely based on what others are doing. You get to do things your own way, according to a schedule you think is best.

For example, here in central Georgia, there is no real competition to Cox. AT&T, Windstream, and other telephone companies have no intention of doing anything other than low grade DSL. Cox upgrades as it sees fit to do so, on its own schedule. The same is true for all the cable companies in this area, due to the fact the telephone companies are so far behind in terms of speed tiers.

sniperboyz
join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA

sniperboyz to COXNoke

to COXNoke
Depends on how long Cox deploys the double speed at some VA markets. That mean I gonna upgrade my network gear from Cisco into UBNT Gear.
AmericanLoco
join:2014-02-08
United State

AmericanLoco to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
Cox shedding customers to FiOS here in Northern RI.
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

2 recommendations

Needleinthha to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

Cox is a very profitable company for the stockholders, owners, and top executives.

Cox is a privately held company, FYI. They did a stock buy-back a number of years ago