spc
Search similar:

uniqs
texastown
join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

texastown

Free Epix and HBO/Cinemax

Just posted on free preview.tv, Epix open 9/10 - 9/14 and HBO/Cinemax open 9/5 - 9/8.
spc111
join:2003-12-09
NJ

spc111

Thanks for posting this!

My 90 days free "Fully Loaded" promotion is ending on 9/4, so this is just in time for me to catch the season finale of "The Leftovers" on HBO. I thought I was going to be missing that last episode.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by spc111:

so this is just in time for me to catch the season finale of "The Leftovers" on HBO

I'm hooked on that series too... Just love anything that Damon Lindelof touches like "Lost"...
spc111
NJ

spc111 to texastown

to texastown
While I liked Lost, I hated that they didn't wrap up so many things at the end. I hope he learned his lesson from the backlash on that. You can't introduce intriguing premises just to get people hooked and then completely drop them with no explanation.

I haven't seen even one episode of this new series yet, I just started recording it when I started getting HBO for free (just happened to be the same week that this series was starting). My free HBO ends before the last episode airs, but luckily this free weekend fixed that!
I will eventually watch the whole season, but I have so much other stuff recorded... One day...

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to texastown

to texastown
whats the story behind why all these individual stations like SEC get massive news coverage when someone isnt offering it, yet the fact that HBO, Encore and Starz cant be provided within the highest tier except with an additional cost, but these individual channels cant
spc111
NJ

spc111 to texastown

to texastown
Does anyone know if there is an official announcement from Verizon regarding this preview? It is supposed to start tomorrow and I haven't seen anything about it.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by spc111:

so this is just in time for me to catch the season finale of "The Leftovers" on HBO

I'm hooked on that series too... Just love anything that Damon Lindelof touches like "Lost"...

I tried watching the first few episodes of The Leftovers and just couldn't get into it. The show seemed to be all over the place with no direction.

I highly recommend The Knick on Cinemax. That's a great show. Also, on Epix is a movie called 'Nebraska'. One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
JAH_PGH
join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH

said by ansky:

I tried watching the first few episodes of The Leftovers and just couldn't get into it. The show seemed to be all over the place with no direction.

Not to hijack the thread, but yes, the Leftovers can seem frustrating. It's such a slow pace and there is so much 'unknown' that it's tough to get excited about it. I feel like the writers are trying to extend the series for 10+ years! However, last weeks episode was pretty informative though (I think it's ep 9).

kryptonian
join:2005-09-14
Philadelphia, PA

kryptonian to ansky

to ansky
I really wanted to like The Leftovers. it looked promising, but by the second episode, I lost all interest.

former qwest
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
out there

former qwest to texastown

Premium Member

to texastown
also on DirecTV

Jamesbobo
@71.187.196.x

Jamesbobo to texastown

Anon

to texastown
No wonder they're putting their best food forward. HBO/Cinemax has 12 Years a Slave and Grudge Match this weekend while EPIX has The Wolf of Wall Street next weekend.
spc111
NJ

spc111 to texastown

to texastown
Seems like the free preview of Epix was over before "The Wolf of Wall Street" was over. My recording was missing the last 38 minutes. It cut off at 12:28 AM ET and the movie ended at 1:06 AM ET.

You'd think they would have managed to have it last at least long enough to see the end of one of the main movies they were showing during this preview.

Imagine watching it live and it just goes dead before the end of the movie... Pissing off your potential customers is not what a free preview is supposed to accomplish.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Free previews always end at 12AM midnight, so you got an extra 28 minutes.
spc111
NJ

1 edit

spc111

Someone screwed up then.

The below advertisement coming from Epix clearly shows that "The Wolf of Wall Street" is one of the movies you can see during the free preview weekend...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· KQeGmhF4

Also, see here: »www.epixhd.com/freepreview/

This was the first and only airing of this movie during the weekend. If it was On-Demand, I couldn't see it since I have a CableCard device.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to spc111

to spc111
said by spc111:

Pissing off your potential customers is not what a free preview is supposed to accomplish

Free Preview is a contractual deal between the Provider and Network. Providers are obligated to end it at the agreed time or could be liable for payments to the Network.
spc111
NJ

spc111

Are you saying that Epix purposely advertised this movie as being free during the free preview knowing that it would be cut off before the end of the movie?

No, it was a mistake by someone, either Epix or Verizon.

Jjd444
@173.70.56.x

Jjd444

Anon

WoWS was on demand... available for viewing at any time during the open period. The ad clearly says through the 14th not through the end of a free movie. Subscribe if you want to watch the end. BTW great movie though not his best.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>jjd444: WoWS was on demand... available for viewing at any time during the open period.

I looked for it in Epix's On Demand last night and couldn't find it--I get Epix as part of Verizon's everypremiummoviechannelyoucouldwant (can't the real name...'-}}) package so not being in the Epix On Demand list last night was not a big deal for me...
spc111
NJ

spc111 to Jjd444

to Jjd444

Re: Free Epix and HBO/Cinemax

I have a CableCard device that is unable to get On-Demand. Besides, it looks like it may not have been available for On-Demand viewing anyway.

I can just go to the library and check-out the DVD/Blu-Ray for free, but it is the principal; it sucks that they would do this.

Why are you making excuses for them? This is a crappy thing to do and they should be made aware of the problem so that it does not happen in the future.

Epix advertised that you can see this movie for free during their free preview weekend. They started showing it and then cut it off in the middle. That was wrong. Period. I don't care what time the free preview was supposed to end. Bait and switch, pure and simple.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to texastown

to texastown
Only on DSLReports do you have people that complain about free previews...

That's why I love these forums....
spc111
NJ

spc111

You are incorrect, sir...

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· p/743389

Anyway, it is not a complaint about free previews, it is a complaint about wasting time watching a movie that cuts off before it is over. Luckily for me, I noticed that it was not the full movie before I started watching the recording, but I am sure there are many others that had an unpleasant surprise after watching for 2 and 1/2 hours.

By the way, I am giving away my old iPhone 5s if anyone wants it for free. Just send me a 500 word essay and I will pick the best one to win the phone...

After you spend that time making the essay and I declare you the winner, I will remember that it was not actually an iPhone, but an old Palm Pilot. But you are not allowed to complain because it is free.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by spc111:

You are incorrect, sir...

How can you live in Jersey and not have a sense of humor....
spc111
NJ

spc111

What makes you think I am not laughing at you?
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

Only on DSLReports do you have people that complain about free previews...

That's nothing. You should see how people react when you give them a free U2 album!
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

3 edits

tlbepson to spc111

Premium Member

to spc111

never mind...forgot you use a cable card so the coming premium On Demand freebie is a no-go...

By the way...did you touch base with Epix about the issue with the WoWS? It seems to me that it's more their problem than Verizon's in that Epix could have extended the freebie by one day or shown WoWS earlier in the evening.
spc111
NJ

spc111

No, I did not contact Epix. I haven't seen many complaints on this, but the ones I did see were from people with Verizon FiOS (many cable companies participated in this free preview promotion). I am not sure what the contract stipulates, but apparently other cable companies were able to show the whole movie.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to tlbepson

to tlbepson
I saw a post on the forums where someone had a response from Epix. They stated it was up tot he content deliverer not them as to when to end the promotion.
Take it at face value because I am sure they had some sort of cutoff time stipulated.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>crgauth: They stated it was up tot he content deliverer not them as to when to end the promotion.

Thanks for the info...

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to crgauth

MVM

to crgauth
As I've stated before, the free preview cutoff times are always at 12AM midnight on the final day per the content provider's contract. So getting extra time beyond the contract cutoff time is something you can't complain about.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

Or Epix specified a later time in the contract, but no one at legal at Verizon passed the word on to the technical people to make the change, and they assumed it was midnight because that's how it's "always" done. I'd put a wager on internal communications failures at Verizon before Epix screwing up the primary reason for scheduling the free preview in the first place.