shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

[Hockey] Report: NHL expansion to Las Vegas a done deal

»www.thescore.com/news/563625

The latest is from veteran Vancouver Province columnist Tony Gallagher, who suggested on Tuesday that the NHL will expand to Las Vegas, Nev. sooner rather than later:

Sources close to the situation have indicated Las Vegas is a done deal, the only thing to be determined being which owner will be entitled to proclaim that he brought the first major league sports franchise to Sin City.

Well, isn't that interesting. You have a couple of teams on razor thin margins, but hey screw them, there's expansion fees in them thar hills. The report also says Seattle is a strong contender for a team too. Maybe Paul Bissonette will still be able to find an NHL job.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

They are opening themselves up to a whole world of hurt if they go to Las Vegas.

Seattle on the other hand would probably work quite well.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to shaner

to shaner
Sounds ridiculous given that Phoenix is just down the road and failing the last time I checked.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

Maybe this is setting things up so that when Pheonix finally rolls over and plays dead, there's an easy villian to blame when the team goes north of the border?

NefCanuck

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to shaner

Mod

to shaner
If this is true, they'll be playing in the west because the east is up by two teams (16 vs 14), and it makes sense for them to be there anyway. The question is, where is the second expansion team going to be, because an odd number of teams would be a scheduling nightmare. Quebec City as a western team? Send Columbus / Detroit back to the West?

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

The report also said Seattle is close too, so that would solve that issue.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to shaner

Mod

to shaner
If that turns out to be true, it'll be a great rivalry for Vancouver *and* it'll mean the new arena in Quebec City is another Copps Coliseum unless they can find a team to relocate there.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Maybe we're due for another realignment. Maybe it will be done right this time. Like my way right.

NHL Realignment - Horizontal

Northern Conference - Red

North - Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal

Mid-North - Seattle, San Jose, Colorado, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston

Southern Conference - Blue

Mid-South LA, Las Vegas, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NJD, NYR, NYI

South - Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Washington
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Hockey in the desert just seems very strange....

Almost like Jamaican bobsledding....
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to shaner

to shaner
It'd be awesome if Seattle got a team. Gives me another close city to try and catch a Wings game every year.

Hockey games seem cheaper and easier to get tickets for in the US too. It'd probably be alot easier going to Seattle games for me....

v6movement
@206.51.28.x

v6movement to PX Eliezer1

Anon

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

There are these new fangled things called cities. I know it's hard to wrap your mind around.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

There may be cities but is there enough of a hockey fan base to support a team?

Or is it one of those "build it and they will come" delusions?
Robrr

Robrr to shaner

to shaner
Way more than expected on this one.

Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec City, and Toronto will be getting teams.

»www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/2 ··· xpansion

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

34 teams? Are they insane?
Misaow
join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON

Misaow

17 west, 17 east

2 games (home + Away) vs other conference
34 games
3 games vs same conference teams
48 games
Season total
82 games

Makes sense on paper... although that would mean a Toronto team in the west again? or ship off Detroit/Columbus?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

3 recommendations

DKS to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

34 teams? Are they insane?

Never judge sanity by the smell of money.
Robrr

Robrr to shaner

to shaner
I'm just happy to see another team in Toronto. I despise the Leafs so an opportunity to cheer for a local team that isn't the Leafs will be awesome

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
I like that. How true.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to Misaow

Mod

to Misaow
said by Misaow:

17 west, 17 east

2 games (home + Away) vs other conference
34 games
3 games vs same conference teams
48 games
Season total
82 games

Makes sense on paper... although that would mean a Toronto team in the west again? or ship off Detroit/Columbus?

Hang on....

2 x 17 = 34
3 x 17 = 51, not 48

I really doubt Detroit or Columbus would be amicable with moving back to the West after fighting to get into the east for years, and having the 2nd Toronto team be in a different division would mean less competition between the two big smoke-based teams as they'd only ever be able to meet in a Final, not in the playoffs nor compete for a playoff spot during the regular season.
Misaow
join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON

Misaow

said by Kardinal:

Hang on....

2 x 17 = 34
3 x 17 = 51, not 48

Generally teams don't play intra-squad games, at least none that count in the standings. So you'd only have 16 other teams in your conference to compete against.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

Le oops. That'll teach me to post before coffee. My mistake.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
I can see it now......

The Mirage bar makes the ice for the rink, and 'Zamboni' is a new drink they sell in the stands as Cirque du Soleil performs overhead as the game is played. Losing teams are fed to Siegfried & Roy's tiger.

yoyomhz
join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Like Gary Bettman's 'count dracula' head.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Robrr

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

Way more than expected on this one.

Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec City, and Toronto will be getting teams.

»www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/2 ··· xpansion

This likely means a new team for Markham. They have a new arena abuilding.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Yes Vegas because every professional sports team started there has done so well.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to shaner

to shaner
And the NHL denies any expansion plans are in the works. »www.thestar.com/sports/h ··· ort.html

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Of course they are denying it. Even if entirely true no one would be surprised by this response.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Of course they are denying it. Even if entirely true no one would be surprised by this response.

Excactly, I wouldn't admit to a damn thing till the ink was dry on the paper.

That said, I don't see Robbers and Bhell allowing another team in their midst, especially one that might actually do well.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to v6movement

Premium Member

to v6movement
said by v6movement :

said by PX Eliezer1:

There are these new fangled things called cities. I know it's hard to wrap your mind around.

There are many large cities in Canada, yet only one major league baseball team.

Likewise, a Canadian invented basketball, yet basketball is NOT a big sport in Canada.

So why do you find surprising the thought that cities in the hottest climates in the US, are not likely places for Canadian-style hockey to succeed?

(Even here in metro NYC, relatively few people give a damn about hockey. The hockey teams are sustainable only because the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area has 20 million people. Thus even a small percentage of that total is enough to support hockey. But Las Vegas and Phoenix don't have that massive population base).

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to donoreo

MVM

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Yes Vegas because every professional sports team started there has done so well.

No kidding. Vegas is a bad place for sports teams as entertainment dollars have an almost unbeatable competitor called the strip which for even locals is a hard place to escape from.

I have a number of friends in Seattle who would jump at the chance to support a local NHL team so Seattle makes sense, especially since Ballmer isn't moving his basketball team there yet.

Quebec City couldn't support a winner, so why is it now a good idea now to put a team there?

Toronto deserves a real NHL team, but really to have 2 teams, don't think so.

Las Vegas odds are it will fold within 5 years.

Blake