dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Syndicate
join:2013-05-27

Syndicate to Datalink

to Datalink

Re: Help Choosing Modem (Rogers Hybrid Fibre 60dwn/10up)

Hi,

Not looking to spend too much on a modem yet or get a higher plan but I found the Cisco DPC3825 used for $50 and free shipping. That will work with the plan, right? Or do I need one with a special firmware?
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

The problem with bringing in a modem is that you might not be able to add it to the Rogers network. It appears to be a matter of luck in some cases. If this is a modem that was used on the Rogers network at some point in time you should be ok, but, if hasn't been, I suspect that you will not be able to use it. Its not the firmware that is the issue, its the modem serial number from what I remember. If that isn't within the range of numbers that Rogers specifies, then the agent at the store, or on the phone can't place that modem on your account. The check on the number is built into the account software and there appears to be no way around it. When I moved into Ontario I brought a Motorola modem with me, same model as used on the Rogers network, but the agent couldn't add it to the account. So, you need to determine what the serial number is, and if you can add it to your account. You also have to be wary of buying modems online in case of theft or MAC address cloning.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Syndicate

to Syndicate
To avoid hassles you need to buy a DPC3825 from Rogers or a Rogers authorized dealer or a former Rogers customer who purchased their unit from any of the afformentioned places.

IMO, your best bet is to call to cancel and they'll throw in discounts that would more than cover your rental fees for the modem.
dtchmshkyan
join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan to Syndicate

to Syndicate
If you seriously considering buying used DPC3825 you should first ask for a serial number of the unit, then call Rogers and ask them if this particular modem could be activated.

However, it is not wise to buy last generation modem while on 60/10 plan as Rogers is actively working on upgrading its infrastructure and ultimately moving all customers to 24x8 devices. Remember that a short while ago Rogers did not allow 8x4 devices on 60/10 plans. It is only due to shortage of CGN3s that Rogers allowed (probably temporarily?) to use 8x4 devices on 60/10 plan.

If I were you I would not buy a device, but rent it. This way you have unlimited warranty and Rogers devices tend to fail quite frequently

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

It's a good idea NOT to buy a used "ex Rogers" modem ... because they're often rentals that have been lost in moves etc. When you try to register it, Rogers finds it still attached to somebody's account and so will NOT register it to you, since it probably was a rental.
dtchmshkyan
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan

Another good point specifically for dpc3825 is that it was never sold through retail channels for consumers in Canada, so there should not be any true used models which could be activated again on Rogers network.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by dtchmshkyan:

Another good point specifically for dpc3825 is that it was never sold through retail channels for consumers in Canada

Yes, it was, I bought one and had it activated on Rogers.
dtchmshkyan
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan

Interesting. Where did you buy it? And how much did you pay for it?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

The DPC3825 never received "retail packaging", but it could still be purchased through Rogers.
grand total
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total to dtchmshkyan

to dtchmshkyan
said by dtchmshkyan:

Where did you buy it? And how much did you pay for

I bought it from Microcad in London ON for $133.07.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

said by grand total:

I bought it from Microcad in London ON for $133.07.

Yea, that's right too. I was sure I saw the DPC3825 advertised somewhere here in town. Almost bought one. Decided to go another route instead.
dtchmshkyan
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan to grand total

to grand total
Amazing, looks like it is still on sale, however I am not sure if it is a good investment. Once Rogers restocks CGN3s again it will again restricts the use of DPC3825 and CGN2. Future shop and Rogers Stores frequently have promotions for CGN3s, about once every three months. Future Shop discounts CGN3 at $145.99 and Rogers stores discounts at $149.99. So, for $15 more you can buy CGN3 which will provide you the flexibility of 24x8 configuration (read the compatibility with future packages, especially regarding upload speeds) and excellent wireless.
grand total
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by dtchmshkyan:

Amazing, looks like it is still on sale, however I am not sure if it is a good investment. Once Rogers restocks CGN3s again it will again restricts the use of DPC3825 and CGN2. Future shop and Rogers Stores frequently have promotions for CGN3s, about once every three months. Future Shop discounts CGN3 at $145.99 and Rogers stores discounts at $149.99. So, for $15 more you can buy CGN3 which will provide you the flexibility of 24x8 configuration (read the compatibility with future packages, especially regarding upload speeds) and excellent wireless.

I didn't use it's wireless, but the DPC3825 is great as a modem in bridged mode. If only the same could be said of the CGN3. I agree buying a DPC3825 new does not make much sense now.
ablatt
join:2001-08-03
Toronto, ON

ablatt

grand total, what are the specific issues with the CGN3 in bridge mode?
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

3 edits

Datalink

Premium Member

There is a firmware bug that throttles back the download rates whenever the CGN3 is connected via ethernet cable to a device that has 10/100 Mb/s ports. Surprisingly, there are a good number of those devices out there, including new products on the market. So, in order to run the CGN3 and the device at full data rates you need to do one of two things: 1. Insure that the device you are connecting has 10/100/1000 Mb/s ports. 2. If you have no choice due to your existing devices you either have to run a gigabit switch (Gateway mode) or a router or firewall (Bridge mode) between the CGN3 and the connecting device. That of course means going out and purchasing a new device to make up for this problem. The throttling back issue exists no matter which mode is used. You will also run into this problem if you connect via house ethernet and that ethernet cabling is connected to only support 10/100 Mb/s (2 wire pairs used instead of 4 within the ethernet cable). That requires reinstalling connectors on the cable with all 4 wire pairs used, end to end.

You can also run the CGN3 in Gateway mode with the wireless turned off, and connect another router via one of the ports if you so choose. I run another router for a 2.4 Ghz network on the other side of the house and use the CGN3 5 Ghz wireless for now, but that will change fairly soon when I finally decide replace my existing 2.4 Ghz router with a newer router.

Point 2: If you do buy one of these, don't use the USB Setup that comes with it. Throw it out. You won't need it for Bridge mode anyway, but, just a word of warning, my serviceable CNG3 became a brick after I decided to experiment with the stick one day. End result, the CGN3 crashed when the 2.4 Ghz wireless was turned on. Back it went. The stick allows you to set up a guest account, name your wired network and has parental controls, however, device control is already built into the firmware and doesn't need the stick. If you are really pressed for a guest account, phone tech support and have them set it up. Personal opinion, if you want that ability, buy another router that has better capabilities and better control over those capabilities. You will be a much happier wired and wireless user.
ablatt
join:2001-08-03
Toronto, ON

ablatt

Thanks Datalink.

grand total suggested there were issues with the CGN3 in bridge mode, but in this mode, if your router's WAN and LAN ports support gigabit, you shouldn't have this issue, correct?
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Correct. If everything you have is gigabit capable, you won't have any problems. If you need to do any "out of the ordinary port forwarding" (CGN3 in Gateway mode), the CGN3 will probably not support it. So you will need your own capable router to accomplish that port forwarding.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by Datalink:

Correct. If everything you have is gigabit capable, you won't have any problems.

Isn't it more of a case that "as long as everything connected directly to the CGN3 is Gigabit". I don't see any issues and lots of the stuff on my network is not Gigabit capable - but I don't have anything plugged into the CGN3 other than my router, and my CGN3 is in Gateway mode.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Technically speaking yes. I was thinking about any device that would be connected directly to the CGN3, which at the present time needs to have gigabit/sec connectivity due to the firmware bug. Anything beyond a gigabit capable firewall, router, or switch can be 10/100 Mb/s as any of those three will isolate or buffer the 10/100 Mb/s device port from the CGN3, in which case everything is satisfied to run at their max data rates.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to sbrook

to sbrook
This is 95% of the cases. And it's not that they won't register it, since it WAS a rental. They won't register it as purchased equipment because they own it. Regardless of how much you pay someone on kijiji for it.

kibosh
join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

kibosh to dtchmshkyan

to dtchmshkyan
I bought a dpc3825 in late 2011 and it's just sitting collecting dust on my shelf. I bought it at the rogers store and was using it up until early this year when I bought the CGN3.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to cepnot4me

Mod

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

This is 95% of the cases. And it's not that they won't register it, since it WAS a rental. They won't register it as purchased equipment because they own it. Regardless of how much you pay someone on kijiji for it.

True ... and that's what I meant ... I used "was" because clearly Rogers isn't actually renting it at the time when someone else tries to register it.

Also, I don't know if it's clear what the status of the modem is (who owns it) if the previous renter has paid the damages for the "lost modem".

But those are details that hardly matter ...
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Even if the previous renter pays for the lost equipment it cannot be registered and they do not own it. Reason being, Rogers expects you to return it if you happen to find it and they'll credit you back for any equipment charges you may have paid.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

More technical reason, it's a pain in the ass to change sub ready provisioned equipment to "customer owned" and of course, if people could pay $90 to "lose" and then in the end own a modem, the $190 to buy one from the start wouldn't work out very well.