uniqs
share rss forum feed

anunez87

join:2014-08-26
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

[Fusion] Fusion - New Customer Initial Setup

Hello,

I recently became a Fusion member and my [Removed].

I am setting up my exisitng ADSL2+ (Netgear DGN1000) with my DSLExtreme user name and password (username@dslextreme.com) and used DSLExtreme's DNS Servers for SoCal.

My router conducts the "TEST" to authenticate my connection and voila...it is successful and I can browse the web successfully; I am using this connection as I type.

My concern however is that when I check my "Router Status" I am only getting 3Mbps Download/0.5Mbps Upload when the pre-qualify for Fusion indicated that I would have 5Mbps Download/1Mbps Upload.

I conduct a speedtest through DSLExtreme and got a download rate of ~1.5-2.4Mbps and an upload rate of ~0.3-0.4Mbps.

My current DSL with AT&T is 3Mbps Download/0.5Mbps Upload so those numbers make sense. Furthermore, with those speed tests I am sure that my lines are working well, and my DSL filters are working well since I hear no static when on the phone.

I understand that I will not get the FULL 5Mbps I pre-qualified for and that it should be 20% less than that or around there so I should be at ~4Mbps Download/~0.8Mbps Upload.

Should I be using the DSL Modem that was sent to me even though I am successfully on the internet or is something else going on that I am not getting the speeds I was pre-qualified for???

Hope to hear from someone soon.

I am still an active customer with ATT for my DSL and Home Phone Service until all phone number has ported over and until this is resolved.

I am a NON U-Verse Member, but my area is U-Verse Ready.

Thanks.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

2 recommendations

Welcome to the site.

I removed your acct # for your privacy and sent it on to Nick. It's not a good idea to post that information in a public forum.

Nick is off for the night but should be back tomorrow.

anunez87

Awesome thanks!!!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
You are welcome.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:28
Thanks sashwa

anunez87, the prequalification isn't for a guaranteed 5Mbps/1Mbps; it's not a minimum speed. Your Fusion service is actually *allowed* to go up to 20Mbps (we don't cap you at 5Mbps and charge you more for higher speeds) - the only thing keeping you at 5Mbps or less are the physical conditions of the line itself. It's like if you're driving on a freeway with no speed limits, but your personal max speed is determined by how good your car engine is.

Unfortunately, you're fairly far out; that's why the prequalfication system put you in the "Up to 5Mbps" bracket, if you will (so you don't go in with expectations that you should be getting close to 20Mbps, or even 10Mbps). The prequalfication brackets are very simple estimates based on recorded phoneline length (as recorded in AT&T's database), and don't take into account all factors such as the age and gauge of the copper wire used in the phone lines (so it's quite possible for a user to get more or less than the prequalification estimate).

Right now, looking at your account and line readings... it doesn't look like you're on Fusion yet. To be more precise, the logs I'm looking at here don't show any record of your modem syncing up with the Fusion service. It looks like your inside wiring is still connected to the previous AT&T service at the MPOE (the phone box on the outside of your house). Do you know if you have two sets of inside wiring in your house, or just the one? For example, if I were to call you and you pick up the phone in one room (say, the bedroom), and then you also plug a phone where the modem is (say, in the living room or den), would you be able to hear me on both phones? If you've only got one set of inside wiring (meaning all of the jacks inside share the same phone line, so a call to the house would ring all jacks simultaneously), then that confirms my suspicion. I'll have a tech call you to help troubleshoot.

anunez87

Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
HI dslx_nick,

Thanks for your reply. I just missed the tech's phone call since I just woke up LOL.

This house only has that one working jack (living room) that I know of. We did several years ago have to add a couple lines (different numbers) for business and personal purposes but cancelled that years ago when no longer needed. Over 5 years ago now I think.

We have only been using this one working jack for last 5 years now for ATT Phone and DSL. There may be another jack in a bedroom but we have never used it.

I do know that I when I first enrolled into this new fusion service it was discovered that I was hooked up to a remote terminal and couldnt port my number over just yet to DSLExtreme. I had to have a new number assigned to me first by DSLExtreme and then I could put in a request to have my numner ported over. May this have something to do with why I am not on fusion yet? I also called my new fusion number thinking my phone would ring but it didn't.

Hope all this info helps.

anunez87

Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
For anyone who is still using this thread:

The end result was that because my home is connected to a Remote Terminal from AT&T, I was not able to have Fusion at home. Because of the Remote Terminal, each time I did a pre-qualify on DSLExtreme's website, the Remote Terminal would trick DSLEXtreme into thinking that I would qualify for certain speeds. As per one of their tech's, "Fusion is directly from the phone company's Central Office." My Central Office is pretty far from me which is why I was on a Remote Terminal apprently. Nice trick AT&T, and nice device at the same time. The highest connection rate I was ever going to have with DSLExtreme was 1.5Mbps. With AT&T I am at 3.0Mbps. Bummed out, but hey it happens. I'm just glad that we caught it with enough time. I wish AT&T and other big companies would let companies like DSLExtreme use their Remote Terminals, I mean hey if someone is willing to pay you to why not right? Still making money.

Please be patient with DSLExtreme, it will be worth your patience. Stay on top of your order when you first get it and do not put it off for tomorrow. Answer their phone calls right away. If an 800 number is calling during your DSLEXtreme Order time, it's them and not some wirdo 800 number.

Although there were some hiccups due to AT&T configurations and not DSLExtreme's, I will definitely be on the lookout for them when they begin to offer even more services.

All DSLExtreme Techs were able to help me resolve my issue.

I was only a customer for a few days, but I was very surprised with the decent turnaround times for all of my follow-ups, and of course amazing customer service. They lived to their end of their deal.

Thanks again DSLExtreme and I will be on the lookout for you!!!!

ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
said by anunez87:

I wish AT&T and other big companies would let companies like DSLExtreme use their Remote Terminals, I mean hey if someone is willing to pay you to why not right? Still making money.

I agree with you on that. However, Ma Bell (R.I.P superior phone service) and "other big companies" want to get bigger and bigger and they hate competition because our politicians are corrupt people trying to earn money from bigoted companies (think "Comcastic!") using unsuspecting slaves(mods: please change it to "customers" if that was inappropriate) as their cash cow instead of using money to maintain our services.

Thank GOODNESS that DSLR and Sonic.net are reputable companies entirely devoted to keep their customers happy.

If only my contract with Ma Bell would end already (just 5 months away! ).... though I'll keep my POTS service active for the foreseeable future as I change to DSLX

anunez87

Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
Hey ramsaso,

Yeah corporate greed, but that's why business are in business in the first place...to make money.

I too am excited to see what DSLExtreme will have available in the future. Now I know though to check with Tech Support first