KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

Re: [WIN8] [Rant]

I gave the information to get the iso some where else. It will work. Same iso as what MS would give you.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

They could recognize that OEMs are incompetent and do something for the end

You know like not block OEM keys from downloading from MS.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

said by dave:

"WTF is wrong with PC vendors that don't give you an actual OS disc". Or possibly "WTF is wrong with PC purchasers that don't immediately take the option to burn a restore DVD".

I, for one, don't want an OS reinstall disc that also reinstalls all the crap I spent an hour uninstalling. A disc cost what, 10 cents? They are optional on our Dell resale account and add $1.50 to the cost. I always include them.

Exactly.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

I've never understood why Dell, HP et al stopped shipping media with computers, especially for the OS. It just seems stupidly short-sighted. That said, Dell will ship an OS DVD if you call and tell them you need to it repair the computer.

Recovery partitions can most certainly get infected and they are worthless if the drive physically fails.

Follow the money.

They saved a few pennies per PC for not including the media.

At one point, Dell used to offer it as an option for a few extra bucks, while ordering the PC online.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

IMO the following should be done.

1. include the ISO on the harddrive

2. MS should allow users of OEM the same download rights as the retail users, sure don't give the other support rights but just don't filter OEM out on the downloads.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

said by dave:

"WTF is wrong with PC vendors that don't give you an actual OS disc". Or possibly "WTF is wrong with PC purchasers that don't immediately take the option to burn a restore DVD".

I, for one, don't want an OS reinstall disc that also reinstalls all the crap I spent an hour uninstalling. A disc cost what, 10 cents? They are optional on our Dell resale account and add $1.50 to the cost. I always include them.

Understood about not wanting the extra crap apps, but what about the drivers ?

OEMs can and should include drivers, either on the same disk as the OS, and possibly even as part of the install, where instead a generic retail or upgrade disk from MS will not.

And if not, then you have a whole different issue on your hands, rounding up the drivers from wherever on the Internet, at least it was that way with earlier Windows versions than 8.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

IMO the following should be done.

1. include the ISO on the harddrive

2. MS should allow users of OEM the same download rights as the retail users, sure don't give the other support rights but just don't filter OEM out on the downloads.

[ymbd]Yes, but that would require clear and logical thinking and follow thru on the part of both Microsoft AND the PC vendors. [/you-must-be-dreaming]

Razzy12345
@69.204.157.x

Razzy12345 to DarkLogix

Anon

to DarkLogix
To reset your PC

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

That's all you gotta do.....

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Razzy12345 :

To reset your PC

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

That's all you gotta do.....

Incorrect instructions for windows 8, correct for 8.1 but unfollowable on 8
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by lorennerol:

said by dave:

OEMs can and should include drivers, either on the same disk as the OS, and possibly even as part of the install, where instead a generic retail or upgrade disk from MS will not.

And if not, then you have a whole different issue on your hands, rounding up the drivers from wherever on the Internet, at least it was that way with earlier Windows versions than 8.

I'd just grab em from their site drivers aren't a big deal for me.
plus the win 8 version of those instructions does not result in a clean install it results in all OEM bloatware returning. (please read the thread before trolling.)

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Most computers, both non-oem and oem, I've done that too.
Now my practice specifically for all OEM rebuilds that get HDD's wiped clean is the following:
(Some I just do a factory reset via the partition set up for it and do not need the next steps).
Backup the OEM drivers folder off the computer.
Wipe said computer, install the O/S, install these saved drivers, then use the local or online utility to update the drivers.
Then see how it pans out before even trying to look at the hardware manufactures downloads page.

A couple of laptops were a right pain with the OEM computer's support downloads page.
I had already deleted the drive and found I could not source an online driver version that worked and had to go looking through an 'old driver' third party site to get something close.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

That said, Dell will ship an OS DVD if you call and tell them you need to it repair the computer.

So will HP -- just got one for $18 including shipping for a desktop that was 2 years out of warranty. Worked much better than the DVDs I diligently burned from the recovery partition years previously (couldn't use the restore partition because I was replacing the hard drive).

Recovery partitions can most certainly get infected

I hadn't realized that myself until about a month ago when just that happened to my mom's computer (she got phone scammed )

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

I've never understood why Dell, HP et al stopped shipping media with computers, especially for the OS. It just seems stupidly short-sighted. That said, Dell will ship an OS DVD if you call and tell them you need to it repair the computer.

Recovery partitions can most certainly get infected and they are worthless if the drive physically fails.

I agree I hate this as well I prefer the media install.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
I know what you mean about not including the CD/DVD for OEMs. These vendors cheaped out and stopped back around 2005/2006. My solution has been to find the OEM of that particular make (e.g. Dell, HP) from torrent sites (yeah I said it) and it works just fine. It also activates automatically because the OS is tied to the BIOS.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Davesnothere:

said by lorennerol:

said by dave:

plus the win 8 version of those instructions does not result in a clean install it results in all OEM bloatware returning. (please read the thread before trolling.)

What part of my post (which you quoted) was trolling ?

I did read the thread, and followed it for a while before posting.

I agree that for most of us here, pulling drivers from the web is fine, but not for John Q. Public, and I was speaking with HIM in mind.

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

I got the CD key from belarc advisor.
but don't have a OEM win 8 ISO or DVD

Contacting gateway for a copy of the OEM cd doesn't seem like a promising way.

Right now its doing its win 8 reset, which is taking longer than a fresh install.

FWIW:
Gateway Store: Recovery Media Purchase Program
»us-store.gateway.com/rcd/
This form is used for purchasing recovery media for your Gateway product.

To get started, please enter the serial number or SNID located on your Gateway product and click "Next".
If the "Win 8 Reset" doesn't work, quit beating your head against this wall and get your friend to purchase the recovery DVD (which he should have created when he got the computer).

Razzy12345
@69.204.157.x

Razzy12345 to DarkLogix

Anon

to DarkLogix
Well find the instruction for Windows 8 then. =) Same thing (probably in diff place)
Razzy12345

Razzy12345

Anon

Not many know this but if you buy PCs/laptops directly from Microsoft Store (»www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· 62684600)

It comes with installed copy without OEM junkware.

Next time.. =)
Razzy12345

Razzy12345

Anon

»www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· ignature

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to Razzy12345

Premium Member

to Razzy12345
said by Razzy12345 :

Not many know this but if you buy PCs/laptops directly from Microsoft Store (»www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· 62684600)

Next time.. =)

..there's Windows 8 with Bing!

Razzy12345
@67.240.3.x

Razzy12345

Anon

said by Astyanax:

said by Razzy12345 :

Next time.. =)

..there's Windows 8 with Bing!

Um no, the "Windows 8 with Bing" is for low cost 9 inch or lower tablets. Quit spreading this non sense.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

WTF is wrong with MS.

They are competing on price, and so they have to resort to cost cutting wherever possible.

Window has, for at least a decade, included the ability for the user to create their own restore media from a working Windows system onto a USB flash drive or DVD. The user should probably do that, along with making backups, doing regular updates, and not running as administrator all the time.

Sadly, the user is the weak link in this approach.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

and in this case the recovery partition recovers the bloatware too.

Recover thru the recovery partition and then clean up the bloatware with software. You could have had the entire thing done by now.

Next time - remove the bloatware then image the drive - all issues will be fixed then. You ar making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

said by DarkLogix:

....and in this case, the recovery partition recovers the bloatware too....

....remove the bloatware, then image the drive....

Yes, that's what to do.

I used to employ Norton Ghost for many years to do my imaging (before they changed it under the hood to another app which from a company which they had bought out), usually booted from a floppy, and it worked like a charm, even on NTFS.

I reckon that it could be run from a flash stick too, but have not bothered.

I also have had decent results from Partition Magic for some situations.

Beginning with Vista, MS has included (with the OS, IIRC) THEIR idea of command-line-driven partitioning and imaging apps, run from the WinPE/RE environment, and those have worked well for me too.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

2 edits

DarkLogix to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

You could have had the entire thing done by now.

Its been done for a few days already.

I did the recovery, cleaned the crapware then spent a long f***ing time waiting on updates, when I got it back to the person I had it updated with 8.1 update 1 and all updates available, also ran chkdsk and defrag for added measure, and did 12 hours of spinrite, also stopped the winupdate service deleted the software distro folder and the winupdate.log file and started the service, then just because ran defrag an extra time.

chkdsk took awhile to run so I think it found some errors

not really sure why so many didn't read the thread but instead post ideas repeatedly.
in short, couldn't get a suitable ISO at the time, did the built in reset, bloatware returned, removed crapware, applied a f***ton of updates, ran some disk utilities for good measure, did a little drive clean up, and returned the computer. (Not happy with the reset but it was all I could do at the time.)
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Next time - remove the bloatware then image the drive - all issues will be fixed then. You ar making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Next time I'll have a 8.1 w/ update 1 ISO and just use that.