Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey

Re: Time for an old power supply to retire.

said by mackey:

I did some Googling and found a thread over at eevblog.com where they discuss these chips; it seems there are a lot of counterfeits which use a 52-57kHz switching frequency (instead of 150kHz) and as a result have 200mV+ ripple.

That's what this one does
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

lutful

Premium Member

For some reason, I could not find the actual EEVblog article that shows 52-57Khz operation. Anyone has the link?

Julian Ilett tested several modules. His reference power supply is also a Chinese module.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Jb4MVbls
lutful

lutful to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

said by mackey:

it seems there are a lot of counterfeits which use a 52-57kHz switching frequency (instead of 150kHz) and as a result have 200mV+ ripple.

That's what this one does

Such low freq internal switching could be a rumour. Several expensive/genuine and cheap/fake LM2596 based adjustable boards appear to be using same value inductor.

Discontinuous mode operation may be responsible for the ripple - it is described in detail on page 22 of TI manual.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

1 edit

1 recommendation

shdesigns

Premium Member

Click for full size
It is 55 khz. Image is 5us division

I measured 200mv ripple at 1.5A out.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
said by lutful:

For some reason, I could not find the actual EEVblog article that shows 52-57Khz operation. Anyone has the link?

It's not a blog article, just some people discussing them in the forums.

/M
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Can you kindly post a clear photo of your board? I am curious about the inductor and output capacitor.
You probably have a clone of this board shown in another of Julian's video.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xJWsn1HQ

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

Click for full size
There seem to be two variants of this board on ebay.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

The apparent 1/3rd rate switching is quite puzzling. Assuming Chinese fab(s) copied LM2596 masks, the internal switching frequency should not deviate that much from 150Khz.

The inductor is only 33uH, same as many 150Khz applications, and should not work well at 1A+ output current or low voltage difference. But these boards are used widely in such applications.
lutful

lutful to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Just wanted to post this since this thread could eventually become the original "proof" of apparent 55Khz switching of some Chinese LM2596.

Above formula is from appnote snva038b which also shows an example calculation. Estimate same 100 mOhm for their cap (it is probably much higher) and plug in 200mV ripple and 1.5A output current.

If internal switching frequency was really just 55Khz, that 33uH inductance is too low for many voltage/current settings where such boards are actually proven to be working.

Very puzzling.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
said by lutful:

Assuming Chinese fab(s) copied LM2596 masks

As mentioned in the thread I linked to, they're probably actually LM2576's as those are much cheaper.

/M
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

lutful

Premium Member

said by mackey:

said by lutful:

Assuming Chinese fab(s) copied LM2596 masks

As mentioned in the thread I linked to, they're probably actually LM2576's as those are much cheaper.

I was just pointing out that even if they copied the masks and made zillions of clones in a local fab, the frequency is unlikely to have become 1/3 of original during the process. But if they are recycled or surplus stock, the internal "fixed frequency" oscillator will still be in 150Khz ballpark.

These PCB designers are copying TI appnote schematics for all these boards. But the inductor/ripple calculations do not match 55Khz operation for many proven working setups with higher voltage differential and higher output current. That is why I am puzzled.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by lutful:

That is why I am puzzled.

Nothing puzzling here. A Chinese vendor acquired a lot of reclaimed LM2576s, had them marked as lm2596, sold them to board stuffers selling ln2596 app note boards.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by public:

said by lutful:

That is why I am puzzled.

Nothing puzzling here. A Chinese vendor acquired a lot of reclaimed LM2576s, had them marked as lm2596, sold them to board stuffers selling ln2596 app note boards.

There is a major flaw with such innuendo ... an LM2576 switching at 52Khz could not use a small 33uH inductor to provide 1.5A output with just 200mV ripple. That is what shdesign reported when I was first puzzled.

I really do not want to argue this point with you, so here is the datasheet for LM2576:
»www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlin ··· 2576.pdf

shdesigns