Search similar:

uniqs

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie

Thoughts on Chilton interview

Warlords of Draenor - Dev Interview
Icy Veins had the chance to talk to Tom Chilton at Gamescom. You can find the full interview transcript on their site:

The team hoped to have Warlords of Draenor released a few months ago, but scaling up the team by almost 50% slowed things down.

Well at least they admit it. It's amazing how much of an impact the couple month delay is making however; with people getting burned out and now having it drop right in the middle of the holidays.

Zones are already in production for the next expansion, so things should finally be better moving forward.

Hopefully they don't go to the other extreme again now. If they are ahead of schedule, now would be a good time to work on some of the things that never make it to the top of the list as opposed to pushing forward a release date.

If more people start doing challenge mode dungeons then challenge mode raids would be something to consider. The team has to be careful not to spend too much time on content that isn't ever seen by most players.

Highlight on the last sentence for sure.

One idea that came up was to make both Northrend and Outland a level 60 to 80 zones at half of their current speed and then allowing players to pick one to level through. Making this change would be fairly time consuming, so it is just an idea for now.

IMO, hopefully it stays an idea. I don't think spending time to improve the leveling experience is worthwhile. And if you were doing so, your target audience should be NEW players. And NEW players aren't going to want to skip a zone, they are going to want to see all the content. This would just be a QoL improvement for people leveling alts. Not the right place to spend time imo.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5

said by Carpie:

The team hoped to have Warlords of Draenor released a few months ago, but scaling up the team by almost 50% slowed things down.

To me it's an excuse. When it was announced you'd be forgiven for thinking Warlords was almost ready to drop, and you can't tell me the 50% extra staff went to work on Warlords.
said by Carpie:

Zones are already in production for the next expansion, so things should finally be better moving forward.

1. No one gives a crap about the next expansion, we want Warlords as it's different content. Release Warlords, stagger the patches, push back the next expansion if need be. 2. We've been promised a faster turnout twice now, hasn't happened.
said by Carpie:

If more people start doing challenge mode dungeons then challenge mode raids would be something to consider. The team has to be careful not to spend too much time on content that isn't ever seen by most players.

Amen.
said by Carpie:

One idea that came up was to make both Northrend and Outland a level 60 to 80 zones at half of their current speed and then allowing players to pick one to level through. Making this change would be fairly time consuming, so it is just an idea for now.

What? They are overthinking it. Literally make all quests before 85 give the same amount of XP no matter what. Then people can play zones to completion if they wish, or try to tackle harder zones if they want the challenge. I'm levelling a hunter atm, and having to leave a zone mid-way through the story isn't fun, and neither is having to do Hellfire/Zanger/Nagrand when my toon can easily tackle the harder zones.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel

Premium Member

said by Cat5:

said by Carpie:

1. No one gives a crap about the next expansion, we want Warlords as it's different content. Release Warlords, stagger the patches, push back the next expansion if need be. 2. We've been promised a faster turnout twice now, hasn't happened.

This.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
We are stuck in the same time warp we were in waiting for Cata. The wait from Wrath to Cata was excruciating and now it's the same thing again. Difference is I don't care about this or any other expansion. I didn't see anything in beta that was even mildly interesting. I got a time card for Fathers Day and I'm waiting for it to run out and that will be it for good. Ten years and recycled content disguised as new is enough to tear it for me. I would have liked to finish solo leveling my guild to 25 (halfway to 14) but oh well.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by kingdome74:

I'm waiting for it to run out and that will be it for good.

Mmkay.

See you in a bit.

Remindmebot: Send me a reminder in three months to necro this thread.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

LOL, go for it.

Cat5

Cat5 to kingdome74

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

We are stuck in the same time warp we were in waiting for Cata. The wait from Wrath to Cata was excruciating and now it's the same thing again. Difference is I don't care about this or any other expansion. I didn't see anything in beta that was even mildly interesting. I got a time card for Fathers Day and I'm waiting for it to run out and that will be it for good. Ten years and recycled content disguised as new is enough to tear it for me. I would have liked to finish solo leveling my guild to 25 (halfway to 14) but oh well.

You can't really moan about recycled content seeing as BC was no different to Vanilla, WotLK was no different to BC etc. etc.

My complaint is the sheer length of time between content. Mists cost me £25, then I've paid each month for 24 months (£8.99 x 24 = £215.76) so £240.76 for the entire expansion. I wouldn't even be adding up these figures if I had content to play with.

A year gap between content is simply inexcusable, especially when they had ramped up releases until 5.4. If we'd had a few extra months in 5.0 and 5.2 then spaced out 5.4 into the bonus stuff (Timeless Isle, Proving Grounds etc.) then 5.5 with the raid then things would seem a lot smoother.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

said by Cat5:

You can't really moan about recycled content seeing as BC was no different to Vanilla, WotLK was no different to BC etc. etc.

Explain plz

Cat5

Cat5

said by kingdome74:

said by Cat5:

Explain plz

The only content which is recycled is the gameplay. Everything else is new per expansion.

85-90 was exactly the same as 80-85, 70-80, 60-70 and even 1-50, just you did quests in different zones, with slightly different text. Likewise gearing hasn't changed dramatically in 10 years, little easier now, but you know full well come new patch/expansion your current gear will become obsolete almost instantly.

Sure old dungeons get revamped, but always with new art and story lines which to many players is great as it shows the world evolving.

90-100 will be more of the same, the wheel will not be re-invented but we will be seeing new art, new storylines, and new loot, just like every other WoW expansion. If this isn't fun for you anymore then that's cool, but you can't diss Blizz for sticking to the exact same formula which has kept WoW the most successful MMO for so long.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

No what I blame Bliz for is wasting space with another WSG disguised as new. Twin Peaks tore it for me. As ridiculous the premise of the other BG's TP is a complete and epic fail.

Cat5

Cat5

said by kingdome74:

No what I blame Bliz for is wasting space with another WSG disguised as new. Twin Peaks tore it for me. As ridiculous the premise of the other BG's TP is a complete and epic fail.

Again, as long it's new art/story then you can't get too mad. What real difference is there between Ragefire Chasm and Temple of the Jade Serpent besides art/story? You go in, you smack a few bosses paying minimal attention to tactics, grab loot and move on.