spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aham23
join:2014-08-15
US

aham23

Optimize Wireless

Just got UVerse TV & Internet and looking to optimize my setup.

Equipment:
TV = 1DVR, 1 Wired, 1 Wireless
Internet = NVG589, WAP, Airport Extreme (tower), iMac, & a Time Capsual (5th gen).

Traffic mainly iPhones, iPad, & two laptops. For wifi coverage I want a signal in the basement & main floor. I had a 2Wire, the AE & TC in bridge mode with those providing a roaming network. It was simple, which was the reason it was done.

Doing some research leads me to believe I should do the following:

NVG589 into bridge/passthrough --> AE which will act as router and wireless for main level --> TC in bridge mode providing roaming network & additional internet connections for BluRay (ect) in basement.

Only connect TVs and WAP to NVG589.

Set wireless to 2.4 GHZ, 6/20 MHz, channels 1,6,or 11 and 5 GHz to channel 161.

I get a little confused on connecting the NVG589 to the AE. Does it have to be a certain LAN port of the 4?

Thanks for the help.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by aham23:

I get a little confused on connecting the NVG589 to the AE. Does it have to be a certain LAN port of the 4?

I don't think so.

The setup should work(I don't have any experience of Airport devices).

Is bridge mode for the TC a repeater mode? or is it just access point mode(fed by Ethernet)?
aham23
join:2014-08-15
US

aham23

TC would be an access point fed by Ethernet. It can be set up either way though.

I can just put both Apple routers in Bridge Mode, use them for wireless, and let the NVG589 do its thing.

Im just not sure what is the best option for my situation. I want good wireless coverage and the connection speeds I am paying for. If the NVG589 is fine router then I can let it do it's thing.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by aham23:

TC would be an access point fed by Ethernet. It can be set up either way though.

I can just put both Apple routers in Bridge Mode, use them for wireless, and let the NVG589 do its thing.

Im just not sure what is the best option for my situation. I want good wireless coverage and the connection speeds I am paying for. If the NVG589 is fine router then I can let it do it's thing.

If you don't really care too much about additional features(I don't think Apple routers have any advanced features lol), I would just use them both as APs. You cannot use most of the U-verse related apps when you're connected to a separate router, but it works if you have it in AP mode.