Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru

Re: [HVAC] Re: Air Conditioner ideas, re: large power bill

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by TheTechGuru:

If this is what you have been doing then your coils are probably clogged. Spun fiberglass filters do not filter enough to keep the coils clean. (After having your coils professionally cleaned) I suggest using the cheapest pleated filter you can find, no need for the fancy ones that do actually block airflow.

You have a total of 720 square inches of filter surface area, if that is not enough for your a/c unit with a pleated filter then you just need to increase the size of the intake to allow for even bigger filters or add another intake and filter.

Furnace/air handler is a Revolv/Commercial Electric/Johnson Controls EB15D. Tech specs are here: »mobilehomepartsstore.com ··· pecs.pdf. Coils did look like they had some dust/dirt on them so yeah it'd probably a good idea to have a service person out here to give them a proper cleaning (and check of the system as a whole). I did change the filters and vacuumed up all the loose dust I could get to around the door and such.

Is there any way to determine the actual required airflow of the unit? I had hoped the tech specs would give that but I apparently missed it if it's in there. I'm hoping to see what the highest filtration filters I can put in there before I start to compromise airflow and efficiency (I stopped by the air filters aisle at Walmart today and found no less than 5 or 6 different micron ratings of filters, that's why I ask).

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707

Re: [HVAC] Air Conditioner ideas, re: large power bill

Has the unit ever been recharged?

the door seals/ window seals ok?
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

we were leaning towards tin (a light color to help reflect)

To reduce heat infiltration the roof on the double wide and RV should be white. Can you paint both roofs white? There are some white elastomeric roof paints that both reflect and waterproof. The whole issue here is cost vs performance. I like the concept of the comfort cover roofing system.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
It's a year old so no, I would not expect it to need to be recharged in a year. Door and window seals were mentioned earlier and I have not gotten around to actually checking on them (they should be OK though).
JoelC707

JoelC707 to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
The roof of the RV is white already but the roof of the double wide is typical black asphalt 3-tab. If we don't do tin, I would certainly get white (or the lightest color we can) in asphalt.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to JoelC707

to JoelC707

If you get a new thermostat, get a NEST. I found one on Googles froogle.com for $200.00. I wasn't sure about the web site that was selling it, but after checking it out for complaints or security issues, I went ahead bought it. It actually was shipped from a local Best Buy distribution center and arrived the next day, but I didn't buy it from Best Buy's site.

It's much easier to program. Just set it how you want it for a couple weeks and it will remember the settings. You can then log on to it and tweak the settings and temperatures from your smart phone or PC. I work 9-5 and come home for lunch, and it was easy to program it to cool down the house from 85 to 77 degrees from 12:30 - 1:45 while I'm home for lunch and then back down to 77 at 5:30 before I get home from work.

Since I've had mine, the house is always comfortable when I get home and my AC noticeably runs a lot less. The Nest does some tricks with newer HVAC to keep the blower running longer after the compressor or heat shuts off, to squeeze out a little extra cooling or heating from the exchanger.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707

even if one door or window is leaking air it can COST you a lot of money

over a billing cycle

one Poorly sealed door cost a additional 50%
for heating here last winter

that was only for 900sf

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI
GL.iNet GL-B1300
Netgear CM500

mix to JoelC707

to JoelC707

I guess what you never mention, is if your new air conditioner actually runs non-stop or cycles a few times per hour on a regular day. If it is running just about non-stop to maintain 78 degrees or something, I'd say you have a problem and that is why you are using so much electricity. If it turns on and off a few times per hour to maintain your temperature set-point, it's probably doing what it is supposed to do.

As for your filter question, get the lowest MER number you can find that fits your filter size. If you have any concern about airflow, there is no reason to restrict it even more with a high MER number filter.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

To be honest I don't know exactly how often it cycles. I know it cycles several times an hour during the morning/evening/night but during the middle of the day it does run for a LONG time. I'm fairly sure it does cycle some during the day but I don't think it's more than a few times in the span of several hours. It'll of course depend on the outside conditions too, right now it's overcast and rained yesterday and overnight so it's cooler outside (I'm showing 76 on my phone with a high of 88 so today wouldn't be an accurate day to count cycles).

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to JoelC707

to JoelC707

I think your A/C is sized right. I've been in houses were the A/C is undersized and it will run continuously but can't keep the temp down enough. The fact that yours keeps the temp about where you want it means it's sized right. There is a whole development by me that is supposed to energy efficient and what they did is put the smallest (most efficient) heat pumps in. Problem is have a party and the they can't get their temp down under the low 80's until everyone leaves. If the outside temps get up towards 100 nothing will help those houses, A/C just runs and can't get the inside temp down in the 70's.

You basically have a party going on all the time so I would say you are fine size wise.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

My grandparent's AC is like that. There are times where it runs non-stop and doesn't get out of the low to mid 80s inside. I think it's sized right given that but could use some maintenance in terms of cleaning and checkups.