TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Nanaki

MVM

to Nanaki

Re: ‏

said by Nanaki:

I also owned a business under my real name. So they have my real name or had it. As that has been quite a few years it may still be there but it is so far down on the results that it pretty much is not able to be found.

I bought a lot with a mobile home on it in 1981; sold it in 1999. In 2011, the State of California enacted legislation to assess the owners of property with habitable structures a fire prevention fee.

Last weekend I received three bills from State Board of Equalization demanding payment. They were linked to the mobile home I had fifteen years ago! Despite more than one intermediary residential address, they found me. And it only took me a few minutes checking with the county tax assessor's office to identify the current owners of tha property.

Two things I learned:

• The government can find me if they think they need to.
• The government doesn't always have accurate, current information about me.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Right and have you sense being on line worked to obfuscate your information? The gov has old in accurate info on you with out you trying to do any thing. I have sense the beginning of being online sought to keep my internet and non internet life separate.

Like i said from about 18 months to 2 years after being online using nova flare as my name in first and last name fields he has gotten cc offers. I get under my real name maybe 1 or 2 a year while nova flare when he had a po box got 1 to 5 a month. As well as other services and product offers. By far the name nova flare gets way more junk mail than i ever do.

Now obviously the gov knows where i live who i a etc. I pay taxes i am a registered voter and i have bank accounts a ssn number etc etc. There's no way around all of that. So long as i do and have those things the gov can find me with ease. How ever making a connection between my online monikers and my self is all but if not entirely impoosible.

It is true that once something is online it always exists. How ever in practice this is not the case. All the noise and pollution that is generated could require many 10s of 1000s of man hours to actually find the real information.

Many people search sites claim to have records on nova flare and people with the last name flare do exist. Now the chances of nova flare actually existing in a addy phone etc sense are slim to none. Yet these sites claim to have the information yet really they will not have any thing legit. So they add to the background noise.

So yeh i exist online but finding the actual me is very hard. Even if you knew my location and real name you would find about a half dozen who match the exact spelling of my name and a couple dozen more results that are variants and could also be me.

There is just a ton of noise and a few OZs of actual information on me. What you have is a case of flooding the system with lots of garbage data to hide the real.

I have worked to scrub as much real information as is possible from the net. I do not have any fines court fees etc. No criminal record or the like. Any genealogy searches have been done by looking up the records in old musty books in a few libraries much of that on micro-phish film.

So the only tracks i have left online other than my business related stuff is for nova flare.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

My full, legal name shows up in Internet searches. The question for the searcher is: Which one, of over 400 hits, is the real me? I don't bust my butt trying to stay off the grid; living at a permanent state of "Condition Yellow" is very draining. I make a minimal effort to "compartmentalize" my online life. But some things I want to do are counter to hiding: Static IP address with a rational rDNS name for a mail server ...
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

I honestly make little effort in doing so. It has become hard coded habit / instinct. I just simply do not think about maintaining it and have not done so ever. I started out doing so so it was instant habit.

Oh and a few long term friends know my real name
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to NormanS

to NormanS
Click for full size
said by NormanS:

Two things I learned:

• The government can find me if they think they need to.
• The government doesn't always have accurate, current information about me.

...and then there are those special situations where Uncle Sugar wishes to locate certain of his erstwhile "children" and has to go about it in a rather unique manner, as in the actual example of this letter received a few years ago by some of us.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
Using techniques with "big data" that is available today, seemingly unconnected data can be correlated quite effectively. They have the data and capability to know your true identity if they so desire to know it.

Anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

No offence meant here but you really do not understand what im trying to get across There are no links between me and my online handles period. At best they could see oh hey nova flare posted from this location on this date the person the account is billed to is named so and so maybe it is him. They drive up to said location and hey it has a open wifi. So now they begin to think hey it probably is not him he was in the area. Now the only reason any gov agency would do this is if i was posting bomb threats or doing very illegal things. Which i do not do. And even if by some weird chance they did start doing random sweeps they would find that nova flare posts from locations many many miles apart at all different times during the day and is on a dozen different connections through out the week.

Again for any link to exist it has to be created by some one who knows me and knows i use this name and others. Or it has to be done by myself. And this has never happened. They few who in fact do know my real name one or 2 of them exist here on the forums and a few who have sent me various bit of hard ware etc over the years send it to nova flare and that is always to my work address or previously my po box under nova flare that is paid for or was paid for in cash.

Honestly there is not much separation between how i conduct my self online and how a spy does. I lack the security clearance and paycheck. Where you and i differ is in this. I have kept my personal life and information separated from my online identity from day one. Exposing zero real information about my self online. I could give any one on these forums my real name even the best hacker and security pro could never connect my nick and my real name online or off.

A very good friend of mine in real life has actually tried to do so and could not. And let me explain what he does for a living he own a multi million dolor computer security and privacy company when i say multi mil maybe i should really say multi 100 million dolor company.

Those links just do not exist. If he can not find them then basically no one can. BTW one of his clients is the government he has a very high security clearance high enough that he was passably in the pentagon shortly after it was hit on 9/11 re securing servers and their network.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

said by Nanaki:

There are no links between me and my online handles period

Yes I understand what you are trying to say. And I am saying you are wrong. There may not be direct links but there are absolutely indirect links that can be established from "big data" correlation techniques nonetheless.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Again wrong. No link is no link is no link. There are zero links between me and my online monikers you would have a hard time finding a link between this one and nanaki seto even though im working to establish just that link.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

said by Nanaki:

Again wrong. No link is no link is no link. There are zero links between me and my online monikers you would have a hard time finding a link between this one and nanaki seto even though im working to establish just that link.

We are not talking about "me". We are talking about large well connected entities such as Google and 3 letter guberment agencies.

Please understand, I am not saying there is no merit to obscuring ones online identity. But these entities do have the data and means to id you if they should have cause to do so.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

How does anyone know exactly what Google knows? Just because it doesn't show up in web searches doesn't mean they don't have the data. IMO they're like the NSA--they want it all. I suspect they only show what they want to show.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
What about novaflare's mailing address that was getting credit offers or junk mail? Don't you (your real name) work, live, or receive mail there now or at some previous time?
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

nope po box prepaid i used that to get various freebies. Cost me like 10 a month to fill that sucker with like 100 a week in free stuff lol. There are zero links between nova flare and my real name. As for the nsa etc i seriously doubt even they could find a link even if they invested 10k man hours in such a search. And honestly if i was doing something that the nsa found such a time investment worthy of such a search chances are i need to get caught and likely killed on sight at that point.

People just do not get it i have never used my nick and real name together any where. Yes google has my real name and yes they have my monikers no they do not and can not have a link between them. And for all intents and purposes no gov agency does ither.

Right now i could post the entire contents of my gmail email accounts to these forums and let every one here sift for my real name. It is no where to be found. Nor is it on google drive etc. If i really need to use my real name in a email i can fire up a email server connect to a public ap and send away using encryption. And still no link will ever be made. Like i said a friend who does this for a living and owns a company worth 100s of millions can not find any such link. He tried it left him shaking his head in near disbelief. The gov would not hire him if he was not in the top few % of security people out there.

Again my real name exists online my nick does as well but no links between them.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to NOYB

to NOYB
Please explain exactly how they could have data to do so when that data just does not exist? That data would have one single possible source me and i have never divulged it. And the few who know my nick and my real name do not use my real name online hell most of the time in face to face convos they call me nova . On the phone they use nova exclusively and the number they have is my google voice tied to my google account i use for all this stuff. Which btw is not even under this exact nick. With out the data they can not put it togather.

It would be like putting 2 and 2 togather with our knowing there was a second 2.

You got this idea that what i have done is hard to do. But it is not. If you created a new online handle including email address etc under say fios-sam and never told any one you was previously known as nyob and used a different sig line or none. and changed isps there would be zero way to link the 2 nicks nyob possibly linked to your real name. But the name fios-sam could never be linked to your real name or old nick. Period. unless you leaked that information your self.

The only thing i did differently is started out online with exactly that mind set never giving up any real information about who i really am. No links have ever been created. When dealing with buis associates i had my own email server that i used exclusively for contact between me and them. It was set up off site (friend had a high end server and band width to spare). I used the best in class avail encryption and never was this nick name used. Even then my pre @ portion of my email was a self devised code and not even my real name.

I also realize that the very fact that this nick name is so well established could actually result in the gov (if i ever did any thing worthy of them coming after me) finding where i connect from. And then yes they would have my real name etc. How ever that is the creation of a link Not one that already exists. They would not know my real name until the moment they actually managed to get my real name from me. Until that time they would know me only as nova flare. And quite honestly if i ever did something that bad that they would spend that amount of man power to find me i likely would never give them my real name.

This is something totally different. No amount of data mining and corolation will ever be able to link my name and my nick names. it just is not remotely possible.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 edit

carpetshark3 to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
Google probably does have more info than I'd like, but now I'm simply not making it easy for them. I've dumped the location app, gmail, +, Google Now, Search off the phone. I've kept the GPS for weather. I get complaints that I don't have location on - (I can turn it off, and use GPS device only) I don't use Google search on the phone. Boat Browser lets you use Duck as the default and I speed dialed Ixquick and Startpage. The link to search is hidden by using another launcher. It simply isn't on the desktop.

The kid uses Gmail - so unless I use Viber to communicate, Google sees her mail.

If I want an app, I'll use the computer rather than the phone. Google knows where it went, but I can also lock Play store out of the browser until I want it. I can also sign out. Google will say it wants phone # for security if you lose password. They already have it as they have to to download an app.

I simply don't feel like cooperating any more, and I don't want to give up the phone since I can't carry all those apps in book form at once.

As for shopping - I don't use mainframe stores except for Amazon, and I order through GMX mail. I use King Arthur Flour, Allbrands and various small vendors for sewing, quilting, and telescope parts. Adorama and B&H for camera. Turn off all Google anything in Noscript and ghostery, unless site won't work.

I won't buy from Google. I've found other sources for ebooks besides Google, Kindle and Nook. Those parts of the store have been disabled or deleted on the phone, just leaving apps.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

... You got this idea that what i have done is hard to do. But it is not. If you created a new online handle including email address etc under say fios-sam and never told any one you was previously known as nyob and used a different sig line or none. and changed isps there would be zero way to link the 2 nicks nyob possibly linked to your real name. But the name fios-sam could never be linked to your real name or old nick. Period. ...

Perhaps a question arises as to what is meant by "linked". If your same computer and/or phone/tablet is used for both user-names, there will be a wealth of data that will coincide via both your earlier and your subsequent online activities. Everything from cookies to user-agent strings to internal computer characteristics (if you employ JavaScript at any website that also provides access for various analytics sites) to behavioral similarities (user routinely browses to site A, followed by site B; user routinely fires up his system online at 1730 hours, downs it at 1900 hours, then refires it up at 2100 hours until 2230, etc). User A's signature tends to disappear from ISP Alpha associations at around the same time as User B's similar signature appears at another ISP Beta... etc.

All are pieces to a data mining puzzle that cumulatively act in concert with one another to establish a "signature" for user A that risks very much becoming identical with User B, unless both the user's ISP and the physical system 'continuity' are completely broken - as well as the user forever obeying the need for keeping all log-in memberships and online business activities utterly and totally separated. The real unknown here is how much detail and historical minutae are kept by the likes of Google, and whether they have any interest in forging such links between their records for "User A" and "User B".

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

The real unknown here is how much detail and historical minutae are kept by the likes of Google, and whether they have any interest in forging such links between their records for "User A" and "User B".

Exactly. I have no doubt that the NSA, and other 3-letters, want to and do perform this kind of correlation. As for Google I don't know. I'm not sure if that is useful to them.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

NOYB to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki

It only does not exist in your limited knowledge of what data they have access too. Sure no one piece or probably even several pieces of data would id you but they have lots more than that from a vast array of sources. Stuff you wouldn't even dream they have access too. And it can be correlated to expose your identity.

If you really think your online persona is that anonymous and disconnected from your true real world identity. Make someone very happy; make a legally binding offer of $1,000,000 USD to the first person or entity that discloses your true real world identity. And publish it broadly.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to Blackbird

to Blackbird
That's just it I have always had a beater laptop I carry with me and a higher end or high end PC. The laptop tends to have user as the account where as the desk top has novaflare or variant. There's never any real info on my comps. I typed this out on my tablet my names etc are novaflare or random or off set cyphers. Even my buis only email Addy's were not realname @domain.com . I have always been careful of things like not using my main comp or connection for personal info etc. Like I said I had a very good friend who secures very important systems and helps to privatize information for some of they very 3 letter agencies we talk about see what he could do to connect the nick and real name. If he can't I seriously doubt any one could.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie

If you don't mind me asking Nanaki See Profile, how old are you?
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

41. I have always had the goal of leaving as small a online foot print etc with my real name etc as is possible.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to NOYB

to NOYB
Again i ask what is this hypothetical data they have? Data has to be created. My point is that data has never been created. Sense it has never been created they have no access to it because it does not exist to be accessed. You keep stating that i do not know what data they have access to. My point and what i am saying is the data you are talking about does not exist. It is like this math problem

2+x=y What is x?what is y By your statement the nsa knows what it equals. Yet there is no data at the end to figure out what x is. The link your talking about is that x and y The only part of the data that exists is 2

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Nanaki:

Sense it has never been created ...

This is a deliberate affectation which is only used by Nova Flare, and not by the actor portraying Nova Flare?
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Started out as a typo and evolved from there. Oddly in documents i do not make the error and simply do not even think about it. It has all become instinct with me. I just do not think about any of it any more.
Separation of my online personas and my real life activities all second nature.

When i had my own comp shop and was going back and forth with suppliers I would go for a long bike ride something i like to do. And as i had the time to do it i would take my laptop with me head to canal fulton clinton massilon up in to the burbs of cleveland etc and hit a fave coffee shop diner what ever for lunch and do my emails from there. That is all that laptop was used for and nothing else. It was a disposable old thing in case i crashed my mountain bike or touring bike.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Nanaki:

It has all become instinct with me. I just do not think about any of it any more.

But acting is an art. Just because you can do it well, almost subconsciously, doesn't mean the average joe can do it as well as you. Some of us would have to work at it; which begs a question: "Is the outcome worth the effort?" I tried running a sock puppet, or three, in Usenet. I am a failure as a puppetmaster.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

NOYB to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

that data has never been created

Oh yes it has. Just not deliberately by you.

Your real world identity has data and so does novaflare and any/all of your other aliases. And it can be correlated to connect the two.

But don't take my word for it. Make the $1,000,000 USD challenge.

As a hypothetical example:
You have a prepaid P.O. box.
Has any of your aliases ever received mail there?
If so you have unwittingly created the data points that can connect you. And it does not matter if the P.O. box is pre paid "anonymously". There is a record of you having been there and accessed that P.O. box. You are connected.

That would be just a simplistic example. Much more complex situations can also be correlated.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to NormanS

to NormanS
Yeh that is the case with most. I have been doing the same for 20 years + so it is just the norm for me.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to NOYB

to NOYB
yawn i can not think of any more ways to explain it to you. The data has never been created. Yeh they have a record of a guy paying in cash monthly for a po box under the name of nova flare so what? There is no connection to my real name.

No data is no data is no data. I will not be repling to any more of your replies. You obviously can not understand the simplest fact. There is ZERO data out there that connects the 2. My friend who owns a company that is worth in to the 100s of millions of us dolors could not even make a connection. There just is none. He had a hard time beleiving it him self so no skin off my back. It is not like i do any thing in real life or online that would even put me on any of their radars to beging with. Even if there was some obscure connection between the 2 and that is a mega ton big if little old me and little old nova flare are not worth the literally 1000s of man hours for them to work on making that connection.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie to Nanaki

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

When i had my own comp shop and was going back and forth with suppliers

How long did you own a comp shop for?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

Yeh they have a record of a guy paying in cash monthly for a po box under the name of nova flare so what? There is no connection to my real name.

No. That is the only record you think they have. There are data points created just by your mere presence, travel, whereabouts etc. and a whole lot more. And it can be correlated to establish connections to your aliases.

Again if you think you are so anonymous and disconnected. Make the $1,000,000 USD identity challenge. After all, if it is as you say, you have nothing to lose. On the other hand, it will make someone very happy.

Suggest you read up on the subjects of "big data", surveillance, and correlation.