This is a sub-selection from Caps Are To Kill Internet Video
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to TechyDad

to TechyDad

Re: Caps Are To Kill Internet Video

said by TechyDad:

That was 130 hours of Netflix per month if you didn't use your connection for anything else.

Just checking e-mail and sports scores uses next to nothing. Most of these other uses people use their smartphones for now.

If you used ONLY Netflix, you would get around 4.3 hours of Netflix use per day on a 300GB cap.

The average person watch 150 hours of TV a month. That's 5 hours a day so basically 90% of ones TV watching is Netflix? Does Netflix even have 130 hours of shit worth watching every month?

If you use your connection for other things (e-mail, downloading programs, tablet/phone application updates, etc),

As I said these thing use very little data. less than 10 GB per month.

They're ok with some Internet video usage so long as you can't use enough to cancel your TV.

I think other factors like lack of content have more to do with people keeping cable than 300 GB caps.

It's nice that FIOS doesn't have caps. Verizon isn't primarily a cable TV provider so they're not looking at cable TV as a sacred cow the way Comcast does

Oh yes they very much are wanting to make money on TV.

(Incidentally, FIOS isn't available everywhere.

Incidentally neither is Comcast.

Finally, the cord cutting trend is just getting started. Many people still pay for cable TV without realizing that they could save money by using Internet video sources instead. As time goes on, without any interference from the cable companies, cord cutting will increase more and more. This will hurt cable company revenues. Cable companies may be many things, but they aren't stupid. They see this trend (even if they refuse to publicly acknowledge it) and want to squash it before it starts. Therefore, they are capping service and allowing peering connections to flood so that Netflix and other video providers won't be as attractive as the cable companies' own video offerings.

Assuming your correct can you blame them? Cable companies should just lose revenue to be nice to you? Cable companies are assholes because they don't want you to have internet only and not TV? How dare they want o make money. I mean this is America our country wasn't founded on the concept that business should try to make profit. Businesses should exist to provide people with free shit. Making a profit is communist.

Kuro
@75.151.50.x

2 recommendations

Kuro

Anon

said by 78036364:

]
Just checking e-mail and sports scores uses next to nothing. Most of these other uses people use their smartphones for now.

And what about playng that YouTube clip that you got sent, downloading a back up from a remote server, video meetings and remoting into the office. Also multiply that by 2-4 people and you can get maybe 20GB on the low end easy.

The average person watch 150 hours of TV a month. That's 5 hours a day so basically 90% of ones TV watching is Netflix? Does Netflix even have 130 hours of shit worth watching every month?

Or 2.5 hours a day over 2 people or 1.6 for 3 and so on.

Assuming your correct can you blame them? Cable companies should just lose revenue to be nice to you? Cable companies are assholes because they don't want you to have internet only and not TV? How dare they want o make money. I mean this is America our country wasn't founded on the concept that business should try to make profit. Businesses should exist to provide people with free shit. Making a profit is communist.

People are voting with their wallet that they want one thing and rather than change the model to fit that they are throwing a fit to stick with the old one.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

TechyDad

Premium Member

said by Kuro :

People are voting with their wallet that they want one thing and rather than change the model to fit that they are throwing a fit to stick with the old one.

Sadly, while people are trying to vote with their wallets, the big ISPs have a monopoly (or duopoly) on Internet access and so can enforce policies regardless of what the customers are saying they want. For example, my only choice for wired broadband service is Time Warner Cable. (No FIOS in my area.) If TWC decided that there would be a 50GB cap and $5 per GB overage fees, I could complain but my only options would be a) pay them or b) go without Internet. (Given that I'm a web developer, B isn't really an option.)
« Caps
This is a sub-selection from Caps Are To Kill Internet Video