spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Arx160le
join:2013-02-12

1 recommendation

Arx160le

[Internet] Getting the HH2000 for free?

As everyone already knows, the sagemcom 2864 is a really lousy unit as both a modem and a router, especially if you have a big home. Is there any way that one would be able to get a Home hub 2000 (for fibe tv) without paying the ludicrous $199 fee involved? My 2864 occasionally has problems involving slow page loads at random times, and the wifi sucks! Not only that, but the moment I turn on my microwave, the wifi connection goes down AROUND THE WHOLE HOUSE ( as it uses the 2.4ghz band).

Otherwise, I'm thinking of attempting to break my contract under the Ontario's consumer protection act, since the upcoming price increases give me leverage to get out of it without incurring any penalties.

And no, I don't want a replacement 2864, I've been around these forums long enough to know that another one won't be any different. Keep in mind that my services were installed just 6 months ago, with 18 months left on my contract.

tl;dr: how can I get the HH2000 without the $199 fee involved?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805

Call in and ask to speak to retentions and see if they will give it to you for free. Simple as that, if not, don't bother spending $199. The hh2k is a good modem but it isn't worth 200 bucks for simply better wireless service. For under $100 you can get yourself a very good (and better than the hh2k) wireless router from any electronics store.
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

If it were rogers I would've bought my own 5ghz router, but I'm refraining from that since I wouldn't be able to bridge the modem since I have fibe TV, which I fear would cause problems anyways.
Btw would I get to retentions by dialing a certain number, or by selecting cancel services in the call menu?
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

Did you get one for $34.50? Personally I think it should have no charge, especially since bell gave me a "free modem rental". As with rogers, if the contract term is "free modem rental" it wouldn't matter which modem it is or the price of it, the rental would be be free.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

1 recommendation

lowping to Arx160le

to Arx160le
said by Arx160le:

If it were rogers I would've bought my own 5ghz router, but I'm refraining from that since I wouldn't be able to bridge the modem since I have fibe TV, which I fear would cause problems anyways.
Btw would I get to retentions by dialing a certain number, or by selecting cancel services in the call menu?

You don't need to bridge the modem in order to plug your own router... leaving the router in DHCP works just fine.

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

1 recommendation

hlo207 to Arx160le

to Arx160le
Are you on FTTH or FTTN? Someone on this forum has a workaround to use your own router if you are on FTTH, just search.

I got the HH1000 from the tech over 1 month ago and I have seen no charge on the bill yet. The system knows about my HH1000 but nothing shows up in extra charge. I expected to get charge when I asked the tech during a on site visit.
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

FTTN here in brampton
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le to lowping

to lowping
I already have a router that I've done that with, but that makes it work finicky, I suppose because either way the firmware on the 2864 sucks.
btech805
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805 to Arx160le

to Arx160le
Cancel services
said by Arx160le:

Big_Daddy
join:2008-01-10
hohoho

1 recommendation

Big_Daddy to Arx160le

to Arx160le
I had a technical issue and the tech that was here swapped modems the new hub works like a charm and download speeds have almost doubled uploads speeds still suck but that's just an area thing
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

Called retentions and they said I needed a technician to verify my wireless issues (wut?). Then they said that I would be able to get the hh2000 for free. If I ask the tech when he comes to my house for the hh2000, will he charge me for it?
btech805
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805

Us techs dont charge you for anything, it is all automatic. We have no say in the matter. But if they said it's free then there will be a $199 credit on your bill for it, but the tech has no way of verifying that.
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

So if I ask the tech to give me a hh2000, and then I call bell and I'm told that the fee will be applied to my account, would I then be able to get it waived by going to retentions?
btech805
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805

Theoretically, yes.
Halton
join:2014-06-29
Canada

1 recommendation

Halton to Arx160le

to Arx160le
This is what I did. Twice.

Call loyalty [Bell calls it that, not retentions], tell them you are mad about the 2864 sync no surf and the lousy WiFi, you have been a customer for X years and you are tired of this poor equipment and the time it takes you to fix its problems. Ask/tell them "could you send me a HH 2000 at no cost." They know the 2864 is junk and with some nudging will sent the HH2000 for free. As they should!
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

taraf to Arx160le

to Arx160le
said by Arx160le:

Just call in to tech support and complain about the wireless performance being slow/unreliable/not reaching everywhere in your house, then. Several folks have pointed out here that if it's replaced for technical reasons rather than "just 'cuz you want it", you won't get billed, and since you have FibeTV they can't give you the HH1000 because it doesn't support IPTV.
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

That's exactly what I did and now I've got a technician coming in tomorrow lol.
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le to Halton

to Halton
Would they normally mail a modem to you (in ontario) rather than dispatch a tech?

Michael9009
join:2006-07-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Michael9009 to lowping

to lowping
said by lowping:

You don't need to bridge the modem in order to plug your own router...

Yes, this is correct.
said by lowping:

leaving the router in DHCP works just fine.

Not completely true. In this case, one is doing double NATing and can run into the risk of conflicting IP addresses, which may make the system not work.

To avoid IP address overlap, one could assign, for example an IP address of 192.168.2.1 to the Bell modem, with a range of assignable IPs between 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.254 (the default setting), and an IP address of 192.168.1.1 to the router, with a range of assignable IPs between 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254.

In my case, I am using an IP of 10.0.1.1 for my router, with a range of assignable IPs between 10.0.1.10 to 10.0.1.254. The PPPoE session is negotiated by the Bell modem - so the modem is not in bridge mode - and everything works like a charm.

I actually don't see any need to put the modem in bridge mode.

brossard
@206.47.249.x

1 recommendation

brossard

Anon

why not just go all the way and disable th dhcp in your own rouder and use it as a wireless access point if u dont want to double nat? that way u have one dhcp server, one router and one wireless. some times its the simplest thing people dont think about?
Halton
Canada

1 recommendation

Halton to Arx160le

to Arx160le
In both instances I had a tech come with the HH2000 even though on the one install I had been told it would be mailed out. The first time he spent a lot of time fiddling with who knows what. The second time [different location] he just came, plugged it in, entered the b1 etc., waited until it was working and then left. Seemed like a waste of a tech's time to do that.

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

1 recommendation

hlo207

To you maybe since you sounds like a technical person somewhat.

However there are the other 95%+ people out there that know nothing about internet access other than the fact their iPad can go online. Some of them probably have little idea when you tell them about the gateway, to them its something Bell put in down in the electrical room in the basement. If you ask them whether the blue lights are working, you will need to tell them where the gateway could be hiding first.

I had to stay over at a cousin's condo during the Xmas 2013 ice storm here in Toronto, she said she has Bell internet. So I ask her what is the SSID and password, she has no clue and handed me a pile of paper that she got from Bell so I can figure it out. Good thing she lives in a condo because that 2-wire gateway is literally under the couch!
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le to brossard

to brossard
As if I haven't thought of that. The problem is that either way, the 2864 sucks at routing.
lowping

1 recommendation

lowping

said by Arx160le:

As if I haven't thought of that. The problem is that either way, the 2864 sucks at routing.

Well it doesn't have routing issue that I know. Maybe some port forwarding issues. I don't see why you don't want to bridge mode because you have FibeTV. Is there something illegal by doing that ?
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

haha its not that, it's that the modem cant be bridged since fibe TV requires the firmware to be fully functional, and I don't have a dd-wrt or tomato customizable router meaning I can't make it so that the router will tag the iptv packets as it would be done otherwise. By routing issues, I was referring to how even when I do put my router into access point (dhcp disabled),the performance at often times gets sluggish (on both the 2864 [wired/wireless] and the router [wireless])
lowping

1 recommendation

lowping

said by Arx160le:

haha its not that, it's that the modem cant be bridged since fibe TV requires the firmware to be fully functional, and I don't have a dd-wrt or tomato customizable router meaning I can't make it so that the router will tag the iptv packets as it would be done otherwise. By routing issues, I was referring to how even when I do put my router into access point (dhcp disabled),the performance at often times gets sluggish (on both the 2864 [wired/wireless] and the router [wireless])

What do you mean, can't you leave whatever TV connected on the Sagemcom and connect whatever internet on your router and do PPPOE session on the router ?
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le

I just recall reading once that TV wouldn't work if we switched the sagemcom to a bridged mode. The only way to make fibe TV work like that is by custom firmware on a router.
lowping

1 recommendation

lowping

said by Arx160le:

I just recall reading once that TV wouldn't work if we switched the sagemcom to a bridged mode. The only way to make fibe TV work like that is by custom firmware on a router.

I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

I'm pretty sure Bell still allows 2 PPPOE sessions... even if they don't, some FibeTV internet feature might stop working, but TV should still work.

Depending on what equipment you're on, FibeTV either works with a different username and password (connected on a stinger) or it's DHCP (connected on 7330 or FTTH).

Unless you want to get rid of the Sagemcom (which you can't cause you still need a modem, unless you're on FTTH) and can still work for FibeTV without the Internet part.
Halton
Canada

1 recommendation

Halton to Arx160le

to Arx160le
So Arx160le, how did it work out with the Bell tech?

Given that Bell knows the 2864 has very poor WiFi and periodically does that sync no surf trick, I hope they just swapped it out for the Home Hub 2000 and said sorry for the problems!
Arx160le

1 recommendation

Arx160le to lowping

to lowping
Seems like a lot of hassle for that outcome.