how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Drake12

join:2003-01-29
Lake Placid, FL

hughesnet static ip

So I went over to a friends house today to setup their dvr and install a few cameras since they have the hughesnet working now. Well everything is setup and I go to port forward so they can view on the mobile devices and I get multiple dynamic ips. So they did not get a static ip I assume with the account so I can up these people and they say they cannot give me a fixed ip address? Is this true on the residentual side of things still? I read a few posts on here that fixed ips are 10$ a month more or something but it seems they got one and made it work just fine. Any help appreciated! Thank You!

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

Most with static IPs are/were on Ku-Band service, or possibly 9000 service. I'm not sure that they will give a Gen4 account a static IP. Is that what they have?
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

Drake12

Lake Placid, FL

I am not exactly sure what service it is but I will find out. I do know that when I pulled up the modem info I remember it being a 15gb pool and it saying hughesnet.

Maybe I don't need a static ip? All I need to do is port forward a few ports for the DVR to get outside but I am coming up with a lot of dynamic ips for this system and cannot seem to open any ports successfully. I generally just use dyndns and it is very simple. The upload is just fine for cameras and it uses very little data. Surely there is a way to get this completed.

Thanks

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

1 recommendation

Sounds like it is a Gen4 system.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but you are out of luck. The decision of whether to open ports is always with an ISP. Many terrestrial ISPs open ports to all users, dynamic or static. Hughes long ago settled on this formula:

No ports open to dynamic IPs, period.
All ports open to static IPs, period.

That has been set in stone for 15 years, and no amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth will change it. The only chance is to get a static IP, and the last I knew that was not an option for a Gen4 user.
--

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

1 recommendation

reply to Drake12

Some time back it was stated that static IPs were available but only for Business grade accounts and then only in limited areas.

Since then, the following statement has been posted by a Hughes employee:

I did some digging and found that static IPs (IPv4) are only available through the Business 100 plan provided by Spaceway. Static IPs are not available for Gen4 - Jupiter plans.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Thanks for bringing that up, guys.

-Liz

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···_address

"Spaceway" refers to the "Gen3 (three)" HN9000 modem legacy plans and not the hybrid Gen4 "wannabe" HN9000 Connect or Connect Pro plans.

It most certainly is not available to the true Gen4 systems using HT1000/1100 modems fed by Echostar17 (Jupiter) systems.

Drake12

Lake Placid, FL

1 recommendation

Yeah it is a Gen4 account on hughesnet. How about this new service Exede? Do you know if I can get a static ip on this service? I might be backing up and just use 3G with a dynamic and dyndns as I think the 3G signal is good enough out there. Just trying to get these people some stable service. Thanks

bak2sat

join:2014-08-25
Camilla, GA

1 recommendation

No static on Exede either although i found this in a search:

ViaSat is focusing early Exede sales on the consumer market and does not currently offer static IP with Exede subscriptions. Alana Pilkington, NRTC vice president, Internet Services, said that NRTC has been pushing for ViaSat to include a static IP feature, but in the meantime, there is a potential work-around. "What ViaSat is doing today instead of offering static IP addresses is putting a long-term persistent dynamic lease on the modem. The modem would have to be consistently offline for a significant amount of time before it would not get the same IP address back."

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

1 recommendation

reply to Drake12

You mostly have Hughesnet folks that hang out here so you may wish to try the dlsr/wildblue/Excede forum here:
»WildBlue Satellite

Or the official Exede forum here:
»community.exede.com/exede

and post that question.

Drake12

Lake Placid, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Drake12

Ok , I see that about Exede too.

What is the deal on finding the exact dynamic ip with hughesnet? I can use a service like dyndns and it will not be a problem but I am getting 3-4 different ip's on this hughesnet modem depending on what service I am pulling the ip from?

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

1 recommendation

reply to Drake12

Note that, if you ask on the Exede forums, your question is not "Can I get a static IP?" Your question is "Are Exede IPs public and can I forward ports through the modem to things like security cameras?"

As far as I know, Hughes is unique in tying "public" IPs with forwarded ports to "static" IPs. You earlier noted that you are familiar with DynDNS, so it should be clear to you what it is you need.
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

1 recommendation

reply to Drake12

said by Drake12:

What is the deal on finding the exact dynamic ip with hughesnet? I can use a service like dyndns and it will not be a problem but I am getting 3-4 different ip's on this hughesnet modem depending on what service I am pulling the ip from?

You are seeing the IP of the web accelerator (proxy), not the actual IP. You still appear to think that just knowing the IP will work, which it won't. There will be no ports forwarded through the modem and no way to make it happen, so you can bang away at it all day without success.
--

chrisb3127

join:2006-03-01
Manville, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Drake12

I have a static IP on the wannabe Gen4 on Spaceway, business account. Took a lot of calls/escalation to make it happen about a year ago. ($99/month + IP charge) I only use HN as a backup, but wanted a static IP for my needs.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

Are you saying that you have a HN9000 modem with either the Connect or Connect Pro plan with MONTHLY refil and a static IP ?

chrisb3127

join:2006-03-01
Manville, NJ

I'm on Business 100 w/ static on HN9000. It's the GEN4 wannabe with the monthly refill. I misquoted the price, it's $79.99/month + $15/month for static IP.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to dbirdman

said by dbirdman:

said by Drake12:

You are seeing the IP of the web accelerator (proxy), not the actual IP. You still appear to think that just knowing the IP will work, which it won't. There will be no ports forwarded through the modem and no way to make it happen, so you can bang away at it all day without success.

Although I have never tried it, I was of the impression that one could access their security cameras behind a Gen4 system by using a service like DynDNS. Is this not correct?
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.2.15 Signal Strength Typical 125+

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

1 recommendation

It is not correct. DynDNS does not perform magic, it just converts a named connection to an IP address like any other DNS server. Something (meaning one or more ports) has to be open on that IP (which could be addressed directly, without the need for DynDNS) in order for it to work. Since nothing is open on Hughes dynamic IPs just giving a name to such an IP accomplishes nothing.
--

c0rr0sive88

@97.73.80.x
reply to laserfan

Only way to access anything on your network while behind a Gen4 plan is via IPv6, and EVERYTHING must be IPv6, and operating PROPERLY with the modem. Very few have had luck in remote access via IPv6 because most routers still don't play nice with IPv6 when it concerns the HT1000/1100. But Hughes has stated that IPv6 is routable.

laserfan

Texas
reply to Drake12

Ah, I see. Thank you dbirdman, though I do seem to have a small lump on my head now from yr post.

I must have nearly 100 gizmos on my network and only a handful know how to spel IPv6, certainly not my router.

In any case I guess "the Good News" about all this is that if you have an enemy trying to get-into your system Gen4 thwarts them completely huh.
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by laserfan:

Gen4 thwarts them completely

Yes, but so does any router you have behind a modem (on any internet connection) unless you deliberately open a port. I have never heard of anyone ever finding a hack to get through a "closed" router.

Network hacks work through other mechanisms. The primary one, of course, is by inducing a user behind the router to install something that then reaches out to the hacker. A router will always pass, from the WAN, things that were "requested" from the LAN side.
--

laserfan

Texas

Yeah, my Cradlepoint router has enough Firewall settings to make my head hurt.

I have never attempted to get-in to my PC from outside of Hughesnet but know now not to waste time trying.
--