vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

Cisco Linksys EA3500 a POS?

I bought a Cisco Linksys EA3500 wireless router from Amazon. I had problems getting it to talk to the Cisco DPC3008 modem Charter provided me. But I did get it working. It was fine until the power went out. I wasn't able to get the router and modem to talk to each other. I sent the router back to Amazon to swap for a new one. Got that one hooked up and running. My power went out today so I went thru the power up sequence to get online. But the router and modem don't communicate. I get no network connection thru the router.
My laptop communicates to the router both wireless and wired. My laptop connects to the net when plugged into to modem. I've tried a number of cables and sequences of connecting wires to modem/router/laptop and the router never gets an internet connection. I borrowed a neighbor's Linksys router. Hooked it up and it works fine. I'm using it right now.
Anyone own a Cisco/Linksys EA3500? Can you offer suggestions to make this POS work or is it time to get a new router? Anyone have any suggestions of what to buy? Anyone want to buy a slightly used EA3500?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

As a rule, I only look at items that get 4 stars or more on Amazon. I also make sure there are a lot of verified purchaser reviews. Anything less usually means trouble. EA3500 has less than 4 stars. Get money back and maybe get an Apple Airport Extreme.

Airport Extreme: »www.amazon.com/AirPort-E ··· &sr=1-11

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

2 edits

KoRnGtL15 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Its not the router at this point. To go through 2 and blame it. Flakey power? Look at getting the house wiring checked out. Then invest in a UPS. Also make sure the router is running the latest firmware. I hope the router is not upgrading firmware in the background when you have a power issue. It could be corrupting the units. Some times people set them to auto update. I have mine set to check manually. Next thing you can do. Fire up the router and do a hard reset. Once powered up. Hold reset button for 30 seconds. Unplug router while continuing to hold reset button for 30 seconds. Plug power back in and continue to hold for 30 seconds. Its known as the 30-30-30 second hard reset. That is also their older line of last gen routers. I would look at the current line personally. I recently went from a Linksys E4200 v1 to a Linksys WRT1900AC router. Can't say enough about it. And my E4200 was even awesome and served me well for 3+ years. I only replaced it do to age. Charter is also my ISP.

»store.linksys.com/linksy ··· wcat.htm