spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

techlady

join:2003-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

[TW] No personal email addresson outgoing emails?

Pardon me if this is old news, but I just tried to sign up for Earthlink Cable to replace Time Warner. Everything went smoothly until I tried to send an email. I called and asked for the name of the SMTP server. I got the name, but it still didn't work. The problem, they said, is that Earthlink uses authenticated SMTP, but it could be fixed. What followed was five hours of dealing with support CSRs who acted mystified by my request to have my own personal email, not myusername@earthlink.net on outgoing emails. And, they never came up with the promised fix. "What do your business customers do?," I asked. "Certainly they don't have 'earthlink.net' on their outgoing emails." Again they were mystified by my request, falsely I now believe. I think they were just trying to get rid of me or to waste my time until I gave up. It worked. I called Time Warner and reinstated my account with them.
Does anyone know what's going on with Earthlink? Why would they waste so much of my time being purposely obtuse? Why didn't they just say that they couldn't do it and let me go?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
How do you configure your personal domain MX server for receiving e-mail? Sending shouldn't be an issue; you would just authenticate using your Earthlink e-mail login. Unless Earthlink is restricting send only to Earthlink addresses.

Here is how I have set up Mozilla Thunderbird with my ISP server:

Send as personal e-mail address.

I have my personal e-mail address in the sender field, but log in with my ISP e-mail address.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

techlady

Santa Monica, CA
Norman,

The issue is not receiving email. It is in sending email. I want my own domain on outgoing email, but Earthlink does not allow that unless you move the registration of the domain to them (as if!) and pay them gobs of money. This for a service that any other ISP provides for free.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by techlady:

I want my own domain on outgoing email, but Earthlink does not allow that unless you move the registration of the domain to them (as if!) and pay them gobs of money. This for a service that any other ISP provides for free.

So you get an error on send from your personal e-mail address? How are you trying to authenticate to the server?
--
Norman

techlady

Santa Monica, CA
You get an odd error message that I don't remember because it's been a week since I dealt with them. I had set up everything correctly with the servers, except that I put my personal email in the "From" line. Apparently there is no way to authenticate to the server (smtpauth@earthlink.net) unless you use you earthlink.net email address on outgoing emails. I did not want to do that.
I spent 5-6 hours on the phone saying that to Earthlink Tech Support (in India), and not one of them had the guts to tell me the truth: You can't have your own domain on outgoing mail unless you move your domain to Earthlink and pay a lot of extra money.
I got tired of people obviously b.s-ing me and just cancelled the account. I found out several days later what the terms of service are, but on that first day no one would tell me.
So, what is the problem with Earthlink Tech Support? Are they embarrassed by the terms of service or are they just hoping you will give up and put username@earthlink.net on your outgoing email anyway? Well, that never would happen, so I'm not a customer.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by techlady:

Apparently there is no way to authenticate to the server (smtpauth@earthlink.net) unless you use you earthlink.net email address on outgoing emails.

Looking at the Earthlink Support site, it seems that Earthlink supports a plethora of domains. Maybe they have some policy akin to Yahoo! where the user must log in with the e-mail address for the supported domain.

Despite your belief that all ISPs allow it, anyone using "smtp.att.yahoo.com" must authenticate with one of the eleven AT&T e-mail domains. Sending from a different e-mail domain requires special configuration of the account. If I just plug in the e-mail address I want to use with that server, I get this error:

Send as error.

--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to techlady
said by techlady:

The problem, they said, is that Earthlink uses authenticated SMTP, but it could be fixed.

How were you authenticating to this Earthlink server? I would expect that they want to see 'myusername@earthlink.net' plus the password for authentication.
--
Norman