how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Poser

join:2002-07-28

[Wireless] Unlock a 3GS

Hi,

I have a 3gs that I got from Rogers years ago. With the new legislation that has come into place, what do I need to do to get it unlocked?

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
If you're still a Rogers wireless customer just call in and ask for an unlock, a $50 fee will apply.

If you're no longer with Rogers wireless but your account was cancelled just under a year ago you can still go through the same process mentioned above.

If your account has been closed for more than a year, you can set up a pay as you go account, register the IMEI to that account and wait 90 days then call and have them unlock the device. $50 fee will apply. If you bought the phone outright and have proof of purchase you will not have to wait the 90 days.

sbenninger

join:2014-06-02
Canada
reply to Poser
For the 3GS you can do it for free but it can be tricky. You can jailbreak your 3GS which is fairly easy and then there is an software unlock tool that will allow any network. The challenge was with getting the right radio fw for your version If I recall correctly. You can google it...there are many step by step guides and videos for it.

I am sure you could also go to any of the multitude of cell phone unlocking sites and get an unlock code for less that what Rogers charges.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
iPhones cannot be unlocked with "codes". They are unlocked remotely via Apple's activation server. Cell phone unlocking sites would charge way more than Rogers as they are essentially paying a Rogers employee under the table to achieve the same thing.

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
said by yyzlhr:

iPhones cannot be unlocked with "codes". They are unlocked remotely via Apple's activation server. Cell phone unlocking sites would charge way more than Rogers as they are essentially paying a Rogers employee under the table to achieve the same thing.

Jailbreaking and unlock is free. If you get charged money for it, you are being scammed. There are a lot of scam sites, so be careful.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
Jailbreaking doesn't necessarily unlock your phone. If you're looking for an official unlock with an iPhone you either need to pay your carrier to do it or pay a 3rd party who's paying a carrier employee to do it for you.

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON
There used to be a way to Jailbreak and use Ultrasn0w to unlokc that didn't require anything from a carrier, depending on your iOS version.

Sanek

Kanata, ON
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Jailbreaking doesn't necessarily unlock your phone. If you're looking for an official unlock with an iPhone you either need to pay your carrier to do it or pay a 3rd party who's paying a carrier employee to do it for you.

Just use ultrasn0w - unless things changed recently, it should still be free...

You should not need to pay for anything and if you are asked to then you are being scammed.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
He's saying that the iPhone has to be "unlocked" at the Apple Computer level. If you go to restore the phone, it becomes locked again. If you unlocked it with Rogers, they contact Apple, and Apple uploads info into their servers, you restore the phone, it's unlocked, forever. No ultrasn0w or anything.

Sanek

Kanata, ON
said by AppleGuy:

He's saying that the iPhone has to be "unlocked" at the Apple Computer level. If you go to restore the phone, it becomes locked again. If you unlocked it with Rogers, they contact Apple, and Apple uploads info into their servers, you restore the phone, it's unlocked, forever. No ultrasn0w or anything.

Yeah, but if you do it through Rogers, you'll end up paying like half the cost of the phone for that...

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
Or you could potentially brick your device by doing it through the myriad of unofficial ways.

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I jail broke my ipod touch when I got it (just to see if I could). Really, it was more of a pain in the ass, no updating it was tethered so powering it off was a no go, heaven forbid the battery die.

It's not really worth it all and all, if you can do it legitimately, it's just less of a headache later. Even at $50.
Expand your moderator at work

Sanek

Kanata, ON
reply to yyzlhr

Re: [Wireless] Unlock a 3GS

said by yyzlhr:

Or you could potentially brick your device by doing it through the myriad of unofficial ways.

Well, there is a very small chance of that, I guess. Usually, you can always restore with iTunes if you screw things up, so that should not be an issue. In reality, jail breaking is very simple these days and there are plenty of tutorials showing every step to you if you aren't sure about something. That said, if you are not feeling comfortable doing it then perhaps it's just not for you...

This was just a suggestion, you can go whichever way you like. Personally, I would not really even bother with a 3GS, considering it's age. iPhones only really work for 3 years - after that things start failing (battery, lock button, etc.). If you update to iOS 6, you won't have much free RAM for anything, resulting in a slow OS (overall), while iOS 5 is so old, a lot of apps from the App Store will not support it. Really depends on the user, but just something to consider...

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to Anon
yeah, you're right, but it's easier to fork over $99 for smartphone and pay $75 a month for services rather than pay $749 for smartphone and $65 a month. Any savings by buying outright is never realized.

Of course, you can go with a less expensive provider if you live in the right area. Gotta love WIND for that.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Anon
I disagree, back when cell phones came out, I was working at the shack , in car phone was over a thousand bucks! Sold the odd phone.

Then Rogers and Bell subsidized the purchase price. Itveas now $300 and started selling like crazy.

Would you buy a car for $30k or do like $312 bi-weekly?
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
Don't matter if Rogers/Bell were selling the phones for $50 a piece. A phone locked to one carrier is about as useful as a 3 legged mule. And a least the mule don't jack the prices up 6 times a year.

Who in their right mind would actually think they weren't getting ripped off?

F*cking Rogers execs must have been rolling on the floor laughing when they found out customers would fall for that...........

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elwoodblues
Same thing happened back in the 60's.

Cars were about $3000, people had to save up to buy one, I think it was a Ford Dealership that started offering equal payment plans spread out over a year or two, no interest charges at the time. All of a sudden Cars were flying out the door.. The automakers caught on.

It is true though, some of us are in a position to drop $500-$1000 on a phone. College kids, teenagers and people living cheque to cheque, not so much.
Subsidized phones get more into the market, keeping the overall price down.
Its good that it's an option, but it's a buyer beware.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
Even those who can afford to pay $700+ for a phone often don't. The thought of spending that much money on a phone simply isn't palatable for most people even if they can afford it.

Valendite

join:2013-07-13
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

2 edits
Maybe people should use their brains more.
Cough up $700 for a phone, with a cheap $10 data plan and VoIP number/texting or decently-reliable $30 plan/mo with all the needed features.

Or play nice with rogers and cough up (says $60 or so... but with all those features and extra stupid costs) over $80/mo and a 1-time payment of $100 with less features.

$50 x 12 mo = $600 down the drain already..after year 1. Wanna cancel? Welp, pay the remaining 12 months of your phone.

Not to mention selling your unlocked phone... worth at least 35% more.

Plan A : Decent coverage, lots of features, cheap month-to-month payments
Plan B : Extensive coverage, few features, expensive month-to-month payments (your local incoming minutes cost $$, your roaming costs $$, your location is static costs $$, your caller ID costs $$, your VMail costs $$, your limited 1 GB data costs $$, unlocking to give away as a gift before 2 years cost $$ + xx minutes of time trying to cancel with 30 days notice)

Cost = ?? = same

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

2 edits
It really depends on what you're using your phone for. For many people Plan A would simply not be a viable option regardless of the savings. VoIP and texting apps are not an elegant solution, and with more and more people relying on their phones for work/business purposes, most people would never choose to rely on VoIP on a mobile device.

Also, aside from the new entrant most carriers don't offer substantial savings anymore for bringing your own device. As the market is becoming more saturated, it's becoming harder for all carriers to gain new subscribers and the carriers have responded by offering smaller discounts on BYOD to make contracts more attractive.

For example if you bought a popular premium device outright and signed up for a no contract plan with 1GB of data you'd end up paying:
$700 for the device + $55/month (Cheapest 1GB plan available from a nationwide carrier with no regional restrictions). Over the course of two years you would have spent $2020

If you bought a premium device on a contract with a 1GB data plan you would have paid $100 for the device (sometimes even much less with frequent handset sales) and $85/month. Over the course of two years you would have paid $2140.

In summary, you would have only saved $120 over the course of two years. For most people that amount is too small to justify paying $700+ upfront. Also with the contract option you'd get unlimited minutes, whereas with the no contract option I listed in my comparison would only give you 200 minutes.

Obviously the cost difference will be more dramatic if you happen to be lucky enough with an excellent grandfathered plan, but most consumers are not in that situation.

Also a lot of the problems you outlined in Plan B don't exist anymore. Pretty much any plan that triggers a premium subsidy these days will include unlimited canada wide calling, roaming costs will apply with both Plan A and B, all carriers today include caller ID and voicemail in their plans, and 30 days notice no longer applies under the WCOC.

Valendite

join:2013-07-13
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

3 edits
I paid $20 a month for 3 months and then $30/month for all the features that I needed (up to 5GB of data). If I wanted to I could go for the $35 with canada-wide and global texting + canada-wide roaming included (which rogers still does not offer) --- note this is NOT with ROGERS or their SUBSIDIARIES.

»www.rogers.com/web/content/share-everything

I get no CONTRACT AND UNLIMITED minutes and I get to CHOOSE my CARRIER.

Year 1
$474.60 + $700 = $1174.60 = Me, better features than rogers, nearly same coverage
$1302 + $100 = $1402.00 = Roger, less data, and less features

Year 2
$474.60 = Me with Carrier A
$1302 = Rogers, less data, less features, phone still locked until month 24

System
reply to Poser
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course