All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

[Firefox] Witch should I use Adblock Edge or Adblock Plus???

I've been using Adblock Plus but lately I have heard about Adblock Edge. Witch one should I be using??? Is Adblock Edge any better that Adblock Plus??? are they the same??? Are they different???

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I switched to Edge a long time ago. Never looked back.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
i have no problem with ABP.. i don't see a need to look for anything else..

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc

Premium Member

said by redwolfe_98:

i have no problem with ABP.. i don't see a need to look for anything else..

Ditto.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Quite happy with ABP although some stuff has been whitelisted of late that I've reported. Generally it's been items on EasyList.

Some threads of note you might want to look at.
»[Extension] AdblockEdge 2.1.4

WPalant See Profile chimes in:
»[Extension] Wladimir Palant - Adblock or Adblock Plus?

For those that are socially inclined:
»twitter.com/AdblockPlus
siljaline

1 recommendation

siljaline to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
For Facebook users - there's specific filter lists for that purpose. No other Firefox add-on has this.
»facebook.adblockplus.me/en/

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
I've tried both and I've stayed with ABP; I don't allow the unobtrusive advertising.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Use Adblock Plus. They are similar, not the same. My opinion is Adblock plus is better. Some complain about it's optional white listing, also know as allowing acceptable ads. That is easily turned off if you do not want to see any ads.
»adblockplus.org/en/accep ··· s#optout
SafireDonkey
Premium Member
join:2006-10-29

SafireDonkey

Premium Member

It's not as easy as switching off a checkmark.
The whitelisting also happens in subscription lists, such as EasyList.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Adblock Edge is simply a fork of Adblock Plus by some former ABP developers who protested some ads being whitelisted by ABP, thus made their own version. You do have the option of not allowing the whitelist in ABP, as well. I personally use ABP because it is supported by some helper extensions I use(like the element hiding helper) and has better platform support(including MIPS and ARM), and it works just fine. I personally like their goal too. That by enabling this whitelist by default, it encourages sites to make money and support themselves by using acceptable ads and improving their ethics, instead of punishing everyone by default and encouraging them to engage in an arms race trying to beat the ad blockers to support themselves, instead of improving their ads. I personally hate being tracked and block all ads, then just donate if I appreciate a site's service to me. I use anti-tracking measures outside of ad blockers too.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

said by Selenia:

ABP because it is supported by some helper extensions I use(like the element hiding helper)

FWIW, Element Hiding Helper works fine with Edge.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Good to know. It did not list it as compatible last check, but maybe the code is similar enough. All the same, ABP is still fine and I am fine with what they are doing-trying to reform intrusive advertising while still giving the user control to block all ads.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
I recently added "Fanboy's Annoyance List" via: (system will flag link)
»easylist.adblockplus.org/en/

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to SafireDonkey

Premium Member

to SafireDonkey
said by SafireDonkey:

It's not as easy as switching off a checkmark.
The whitelisting also happens in subscription lists, such as EasyList.

Yes they do include @@ in several filters in EasyList. For a reason.

See this thread on their forum. EasyList Forum • View topic - EasyList whitelists

Quoted from that thread
quote:
Most whitelist strings that look like ad sites are related to either of the following:
1. URLs that serve legitimate content, usually videos
2. JavaScript scripts that would cause the page to malfunction due to a script error if blocked
--snip--
If you take a closer look at those whitelists, you will find out that most of them contain things like "video", "media", "object-subrequest" etc. These are all necessary because many big site serve their videos or part of the videostream through adservers and those wouldn't work without them. Other whitelists are used to allow sites that use things like "http://ad." "/ads/" etc. for their legit content or - like already mentioned - implemented an ad-script in the wrong way so it has to be allowed to make the site work correctely.

Nevertheless, those whitelists should never allow any ads and if you actually find a place where this happens, it was probably not on purpose and will be fixed if you report it.