uniqs

Benjamin CC
join:2014-08-03
Albany, NY

Benjamin CC

question about media converter to connect switch

hi,guys!
i am just confused with a question:
When I use a 10/100/1000BaseT/TX to 1000BaseSX or 1000BaseLX media converter to connect a 10/100Base T/TX switch to my Gigabit Ethernet switch, does that mean my 10/100 switch now has Gigabit Ethernet capability?

i don't know whether such question is stupid, but i really want to know the answer, pls tell me, if u know, i prefer to more details. thanks!

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

The quick answer is no.

Think of it like this, the 1000 base device is a 1 inch water pipe.
The 100Base box has a 1/2 inch water pipe.

While you can hook things together with the right parts the flow will be limited to the smallest device your data passes through or in your case the 100Base switch.

Sounds like it might be time to replace the switch with a faster unit but if things are working just fine for you as is you might consider leaving things alone.

Benjamin CC
join:2014-08-03
Albany, NY

Benjamin CC

hi, BlueMist. it seems like the performance is depending on the essential feature of my switch but not the media converter i used,right? but now,i am just a little confused with the media converter,because i think the singles has transmitted though the media converter(0/100/1000BaseT/TX to 1000BaseSX or 1000BaseLX),and it will convert the singles and than input in my switch.so that my switch has the gigabit Ethernet capability actually.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

Sounds like you have it under control.

Speed converters use ram to buffer the data each way, then it out clocks the data at the speed of the port for the direction it is going.

As long as the memory of the converter is not exceeded no data is lost. Usually some form of flow control is used to control the amount of data that gets passed. If there is going to be memory limit problems it would be in the direction where higher speed data is having to be buffered and sent out at a slower speed.

Unless you plan to do massive streaming of data from the higher speed port to the slower port things should work just fine.