All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

4 edits

EmoHobo

Ever since new Window Update Group Policy Client is now running.

I pay attention to my running processes very well and after the updates I noticed this was running, I'm the only only computer on my network, so I don't need this service, how do I disable it?

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

I managed to get it disabled on startup, but I wonder if this is a sign of something more serious, maybe spyware or something accessing my computer from a remote location, because it didn't start until recently and I thought it was after the windows update.

Running MalwareBytes came back clean, I can't figure out why this just suddenly started running on my machine, it has to be tied to the new string of updates I got.

Also are there any known side effects to disabling Group Policy Client, as I don't really run a network of computers and only have one user on this computer.

However in the end, I've decided to let it keep running, because it's a legitimate Windows program and if it came with an update, it's probably something windows needs now. If there's some way I can confirm 100% this isn't some kind of outside issue or some kind of backdoor vulnerability that has been opened because someone has access to my system, I'd love to be able to confirm that.

I've been thinking that maybe it was running before but now it's running on it's own separate SVCHOST and that's why I'm noticing it.

I was doing more research and it looks like Group Policy Client used to run under: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs and now it runs under C:\Windows\windows32\svchost.exe -k GPSvcGroup
EmoHobo

EmoHobo

I wish someone had something to add to this.