MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

[H/W] Cisco replacements for 2811 series routers

Since the Cisco 2811 end of support dates have been set (see here: »www.cisco.com/c/en/us/pr ··· 228.html ) what are people using to replace these straightforward 1U routers with?

In new installs I have been using 2911's, which are 2U chassis. Cisco states that is the replacement. Are people generally putting in 2911's in place of 2811's or if not, is there another model or model on the way or anything others recommend or are they pretty spot on in recommending the 2911's?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

...again, like your other thread "depends what you want."

From what I've seen in refresh cycles is a straight 2811 -> 2911 conversion. You also have to be cognizant of what each model brings to the
table -- rack size, integrated interfaces, number and compatibility of EHWIC slots, number and compatibility of NM / SM slots, number and
compatibility of ISM slots, PVDM compatibility, flash/DRAM limits, etc.

I usually refer to this myself

My 00000010bits

Regards

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

That's a nice chart.

I have been using 2911's. Just wondered if there was anything newer or better. I like the built in 3 interfaces. I usually use them for 1 LAN, 2 WAN (second WAN is failover). Just stinks its 2U vs the 2811's 1U. Though an HWIC card is put into 2811 for more ports, so that did add to the expense. The 4ESW card was always cheaper but configured differently (ie put the IP on a vlan, tag a port on that vlan).
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to cypherstream

MVM

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Just wondered if there was anything newer or better.

Nothing newer on the Cisco side that I'm aware of... there's always other vendors like Juniper, HP, et al. to compare against.

As for the rack size, I'm not sure why it needed to go upto 2U, maybe something with the internals, cooling, or newer interfaces / slots.

My (probably wrong) 00000010bits

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Well the 1921 looks likt it might be of similar performance to a 2811 but the 1921 is 1U so if physical size becomes much of an issue. (at least from pictures of the 1921 I could find.)

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
Right there are other vendors, but I don't know anything about configuring them. The only thing I would consider learning is something new to replace ASA's, like a Fortigate or Palo Alto Networks.

I'll have to check out the 1921's. No issue at all with 2911's, rack space is fine but I do like to optimize space where possible.
krw17
join:2014-08-26
USA

krw17

Most of my WAN interfaces are being converted to Ethernet handoff where it makes sense. If you are seeing the same thing perhaps a Layer3 switch would work? You will get much better performance as a good side benefit. Perhaps they are a little more expensive but not a great deal when you think about the future proofing.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

True but I've always been fond of the traffic shaping and policing on the routers vs say a 3750 switch.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey to krw17

Premium Member

to krw17
Layer 3 switches tend to not do NAT so you'll still need a router for that, and if the connection is fast then you'll need a "bigger" Cisco router to handle the speed without bogging down the processor.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

s/router/firewall/ -- Routers have shit for processors, even the old pix501 can run circles around most of them. (at least in a space+price that's not insane) An ASA5505 or 5510 (if you need gig) would certainly fill that role. Personally, I still use a Pix520, and haven't found anything faster under $10k -- and it's nothing special w/a single PIII-450. (it's PII-350 failed a long time ago.)

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by cramer:

s/router/firewall/

within reason.
as i've always said (and experienced firsthand) -- routers are to be used for router things, firewalls are used for firewall things.
both can do *some* of the things that the other will do -- but its not always 100% (and can bite you in the ass when you don't do your research).

that being said -- if you're taking a single connection (or doing a active/standby internet) with simple routing -- a firewall will fit the bill nicely (and the asa is rock solid).

q.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

The ASA will, but for sub 800mbit traffic the NSA2600 is a nice job too and the QOS/rate limiting and shaping and filtering is nice all in one box.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Eagles1221:

The ASA will, but for sub 800mbit traffic the NSA2600 is a nice job too and the QOS/rate limiting and shaping and filtering is nice all in one box.

if you like sonicwall kit

q.