spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

John Baser

@68.148.136.x

[Help Me] ACN digital phone hangs at half hr - using Dir655 router

Calls consistently hang at half hr when connected via router. When directly connected to the
Modem , no problem. Firmware at 1.02. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1

What ISP mfr and model is the ISP modem? Stand alone or AIO?

Try placing the VoIP devices IP address into the 655 DMZ...Reserve the IP address for the VoIP device as well.

John Baser

@129.128.77.x

ISP is Shaw, modem is a standalone Motorola SB5101 Surfboard.
Would I need to do a network trace to find the voip device IP, or is it already in
the router config?
How would I put the device IP into the router's DMZ?
Thanks for your help.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to John Baser

Look under Setup/Networking/Dymamic Clients list at the bottom or under Status/Device Info/Lan PCs connections. Match the MAC address found on the device to the IP address found on the routers UI pages. Select Reserve on the same row as the MAC and IP address. Add the Reservation and Save settings. You can edit the HostName field on the add reservation so you can better ID the device on the router.

Input this IP address under Advanced/Firewall/DMZ.

John Baser

@129.128.77.x

Hi. I put it in the DMZ but it still hangs at half an hour. I'm thinking of setting up router logging to
hopefully see an error msg when it hangs. Is it easy to setup logging with Dlink?
I will call Dlink support if logging doesn't tell me much.
Thanks.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

What phone or adapter do you have? When the problem occurs, what IP is the device getting? I think ACN would be the first people you want to contact to, since it's the error in the phone or adapter you want. Router won't log everything that might effect VOIP.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to John Baser

What Rev is your DIR-655?

Does the VoIP device work at a different location, friend or families place, maybe try at work if possible?

John Baser

@129.128.77.x
reply to Hard Harry

Its an ACN Vtech phone with IP 192.162.0.87. ACN support doesn't admit to any timeout
threshold on the phone itself and everything I have read mentions configuring the router for
it ,eg, Qos. Also, before we attached the phone adaptor to our LAN, we could use Skype,
but not anymore, so I think we have a capacity issue as well, although speed.test results
suggest we still have enough bandwidth for Skype.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne

QoS should not be used on any VoIP phone device as it can interfere with the data flow. Most VoIP devices need unhindered Internet access for good operation.

What ISP mfr and model is the ISP modem?
What Rev is your DIR-655?
Also the IP address doesn't fall with in the default DHCP IP address pool for DIR series routers, i.e. 192.168.0.100 thru .199. Unless you have changed that...If your trying to use QoS and this IP address, it probably wont work right.
What is your current IP address pool on the router? 192.168.0.100 thru .199?

I recommend using 192.168.0.150 on the VoIP device then Input this IP address under Advanced/Firewall/DMZ.

Please provide feed back on the questions presented so we can get a better idea of your configuration.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to John Baser

said by John Baser :

so I think we have a capacity issue as well

When you say Skype, do you mean a hardware unit or software on a PC? Either way, could be a capacity issue. Even the best router is a bottleneck, its just a matter of how much it slows the connection down. Try doing speedtest with and without the router. You might need to contact ACN too and ask them what the bandwidth requirements for the units are. Either way you would need to know that if you wanted to instead program the QoS.

John Baser

@68.148.136.x
reply to BimmerE38FN

ISP is Shaw Internet using Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem.
We have Dir-655 with hardware vsn A1 and firmware 1.02 , 2006/10/13.
ACN Vtech adaptor is actually at ip 192.168.0.187.
Ip range is 192.168.0.100 to 199.
What is special about 192.168.0.150?
Thanks.

John

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne

How is QoS set up? It should be disabled or not include the .187 address in any configurations. I would test the .187 address in the DMZ. Is the .187 set up as a static IP address on the adapter or is it reserved ON the router. Preferred would be reserved IP ON the router only and not both static and reserved. One or the other methods is recommended.
.150 is just a middle of the road IP address.

Only other thing to try is the VoIP device on a different router to see if the problem follows or not. Take to a neighbor, friend or families place and see what happens there...Keep us posted.