Search similar:

uniqs
smcw
join:2014-08-28
Canada

smcw

[BC] Isolating one Optik TV box from network

Hi,

I am planning to rent out a room in the house and we'd like to include TV and internet. I'm going to use a spare router so the networks stay separate, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can isolate the optik TV box so the renter cannot access our pvr/recordings. Also, I don't want them to be able to unplug the cat5 cable from the tv box and gain full access to the network.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I don't think so,

Also, if your secondary router is plugged into your primary network, they'll be able to access your network anyways
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to smcw

to smcw
I think it would be theoretically possible to have two separate Telus Optik services in one house, but I don't think Telus has provided any way to isolate one of the receivers from the PVR on a single Optik service.

As for isolating the network, it would work better if your main LAN used its own router plugged in to the the Actiontec router. That way other computers on the Actiontec LAN or on any other router connected to the Actiontec can't easily get behind the firewall provided by your router.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

2 edits

humanfilth to smcw

to smcw
Add standard quote of: 'If you are not a business, then you might get initially busted for whatever your renter is doing online, should they do certain shit that brings attention to themselves'.

For internet:
Two routers(one is the Telus gateway for tv and renter, and you on the extra router), provided you have your own Vdsl modem + switch to pull the second Telus IP address. Be careful of heavy downloaders as renters.
If you have a new Actiontec T1200H or T2200H, it will have 'port1 bridge' for ease of adding a second unfiltered router. Update for port1 bridge coming soon to the older gateways.

The Optik TV, it talks to all of its components on the home network. It could be possible to Vlan TV boxes, but some functionality would be lost and you'd need your own IPTV capable router that can do that kind of thing. Telus might just see it as a rogue unit at your IP address and not talk to it.
If Telus were to ever have their Mediaroom firmware supplier add multiple profiles in the DVR that are each user password protected, that would be sweet.

Feeding the renters TV box with COAX would stop a non-technical user from getting into your part of the computer LAN with his/her computer connected to a TV ethernet feed. But then again, you are providing internet as well.

Hang a second router off of the Telus Gateway and play around and see what you can see of each LAN. It depends on the routing and LAN ip ranges.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to smcw

to smcw
If you have an alcatel modem or can bridge your Actiontec it should work fine with 2 separate routers (or a single router if you know how to do dd-wrt voodoo). Just keep in mind that the renters will use one (or more) of your TV streams.

splity
@188.165.199.x

splity to smcw

Anon

to smcw
Account sharing / splitting is illegal and against ToS if you are renting that room the person in there must have own account. Search CTRC

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I thought that came down to if you were renting just a room, or a contained unit

lope
@172.218.107.x

lope

Anon

So if I am living in a 2 bed. condo and I get someone in to rent out the 2nd bedroom and if they wanted to access the internet in their room they would have to have a new line put in on a separate account?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I don't think so...

If they had their own fridge/stove for example then yes they would, is my understanding

Splitty
@96.31.64.x

Splitty

Anon

Terms of service: »www.telus.com/en/bc/get- ··· pport.do

"You may not directly or indirectly charge any person for the use of the Services, "

Also-»www.digitalhome.ca/forum ··· s/130919

lope
@172.218.107.x

lope

Anon

Bollocks! You are taking it to the extreme. A separate dwelling yes, not a room in your house, splitting expenses with a logger.
lope

lope

Anon

"Lodger" spelling.
pkclown
join:2014-03-01
Chilliwack, BC

pkclown to smcw

to smcw
So, technically, the concept of roommates splitting a Telus TV and/or internet bill is breaking Telus' TOS because Telus could argue that roommate A whose name is on the account as the account holder is (re)billing roommate B for Telus' service.

If that's true, WOW...

anonbs
@75.152.187.x

anonbs

Anon

I'd love to see ONE person who has actually charged a roomie SPECIFICALLY for internet access, or had Telus tell them that this must be done (get their own account). Typically its shared everything, so while technically that may entail internet, no one is daft enough, including Telus, to actually run another connection for a roommate. Someone tried to do that to me, I'm looking for another place to rent.